Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I cheated....now what?

So I have been on my pre-op diet for 10 days now which included 4 Optifast drinks 2 optifast bars, sugar free Jello and sugar free popsicles. I have lost 10lbs so far. As of tomorrow I am to go onto a complete Clear Liquids diet for the next 2 days until surgery which is Wednesday the 20th.....BUT I cheated tonight! Up until tonight I have done exactly what I was supposed to and while it was incredibly difficult I still made it somehow...until tonight. I had some plain grilled chicken breast with some lettuce that had vinegar on it...I was starving tonight and for some reason I said screw it. I figured I had done so well to this point that something like that would be OK to eat.....just to fill me one last time before the surgery. So I know some people have NO pre-op diet, and some have a low fat diet pre-surgery. My question is, do you think this will affect my liver size by Wednesday? I mean it wasn't fattening, and I still have 2 days until surgery. I am sure it will be ok but now I am freaking out a bit!!! Any feedback would be AWESOME! I guess I am just worried that they won't be able to do the surgery because my liver will be too big now? How long does it take to shrink again? :confused2:

I wouldn't worry about it. Sounds like you've done great and chicken isn't bad. Just make sure your day before is nothing but liquid. My doc required a bowel cleanse and I'm glad I did because the last thing I needed was having to worry about wiping my behind after surgery. I did exactly what the doc told me and lost 21 lbs before surgery and he said my liver was still big. You should be fine.

chicken was part of my pre-op diet :thumbup:

Well my pre-op diet included plain grilled chicken breast (Optifast for Breakfast & lunch, steamed green veges & chicken for dinner), so I doubt that you've done any damage. Even if it was a fat-filled meal, one only shouldn't upset the applecart too much (although more than that WILL). However, take the time to think about how well you will stick to the post-op diet. It is VERY important not to cheat in the first few weeks of healing. Even if you manage to eat something that you shouldn't without apparent problems, it can cause problems further down the track. Take the time now to re-commit yourself to doing it right when you come out the other side of the surgery.

I was able to eat right up until the day before surgery when I went to clear liquids. Don't sweat it. You made a poor choice and now you will make good choices. Recommit to follow your docs plan!

Good luck with your surgery!

I don't believe that it was a poor choice at all. From what you said you ate, grilled chicken, lettuce, vinegar, they are all part of a healthy diet and should not enlarge the liver-unless maybe in mass quantities! As others have said that was part of our pre-op diet. I actually had three different pre-op diet plans to choose from. I chose to do 2 Protein Shakes a day and 1 healthy dinner, then green salad in between if hungry. I lost 13 Lbs. pre-op (12 days) and my liver was fine. I was required to lose 12. Since you have already lost 10 and now you'll be on clear liquids for a couple of days, I'm sure you'll be fine. Also on the night before surgery my Dr. let me eat regular foods that day, as long as I didn't go over the top and I ended all eating by 9PM. Good luck and let us know how it goes!:thumbup:

i sooo know what you mean! ive been on my pre-op for about 9 days now and i cheated today too. as bad as i feel right now for doing it im just telling myself that tomorrow is a new day and i still have til the 26th to do my pre-op so if i can just not cheat anymore btw now and then i think ill be fine. i can tell ive lost some but cant bring myself to step on the scale. haha i go for my final pre-op appt with the surgeon wednesday and im sure they will weigh me there. anyways- we can do it!!! and your not alone!!!

Ha - I was waiting to hear something really decadent like the wall of chocolate at PF Changs or the Laredo dinner grande with margaritas! Seriously a chicken breast is OK and part of many people's diets. Stick to the liquids pre-surgery and you'll be fine. Don't bear yourself up and take comfort in that of all of this the pre-op diet was the hardest.

You'll be fine. Do liquids for the next two days as instructed. You'll have surgery soon and this will be a distant memory before you know it.

Good luck with your surgery! You're nearly there!

I just want to thank everyone for their responses! I am so glad I found this website! I have learned so much! It's SO nice to know that I am not the only one going through this. Thank you for sharing your stories with me, it is so nice to know that I can come on here and get some encouragement just when I need it the most. MUCH LOVE and SUCCESS to EVERYONE!

Kim, I think that you'll be fine. You chose to eat something that was actually very reasonable. I think that the more important thing that you will need to think about is why you felt that you couldn't stick with your diet in the first place. I'm not pestering you at all...I'm just suggesting that you troubleshoot the mindset so that you will be ready if this desire happens again when any kind of deviation from a post-op food plan will actually be harmful to you. As far as the chicken goes, congratulate yourself for choosing something healthy!

I think the main thing was that she said that she was hungry. I experienced some of that on my pre-op too. As long as you took the healthy approach to that; which, you did you'll be fine. On the post-op diet, yes, that one is important to not "cheat" on, if you have to be on clear liquids (and so on), then you have to keep to that. But for me, the post-op process was (dare I say) easy because I didn't crave food and did not have physical hunger (for awhile). By the time I moved to full liquids I could feel some hunger at times, but as soon as I had some cream Soup or something it filled me right up. Also I feel that it is easier (hopefully) right after surgery to stick with the program because that thought is always in your head that you do not want to jeopardize your band over anything.

THis is crazy, but I feel so frustrated. If I was just on a high Protein diet like my boyfriend, and I had a craving, I would just submit to it. But now that I have the band, I simply CAN'T cheat. It's not even an option like it is for him. I know that's the point. But for crying out loud! What I would do for a roasted chicken and chocolate bar right now. And I'm sitting here trying to figure out if I'm really hungry. I don't think I am, but the point is that I'm not satisfied. I just hope that in a few weeks when I start eating real food, I can be satisfied again.

Kim, you will be fine. Forget about it and move on with your diet. You managed ten days with no problems. WOW! Focus on the positive and continue on with your diet until surgery. Try not to stress any more and please do not accept any of the guilt trips being placed on you here from some of the responses.