Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Update from Julie Geraci - beware!

I had an extended Tummy Tuck on 4/21 with a tigh lift. I am no happy with the results whatsoever. I met with a new PS yesterday that told me my surgeon didn't have enoug skill to perform the tummy tuck and thigh lift for bariatrics patients. Instead of just making a bikini line incision and removing only the pannus, he would have started out with Lipo suction first them waited 3 months and done a complete vertical and horizontal incision to remove the pannus and the upper abdominal fat. As far as the thigh lift goes, what a joke. I see now difference whatsoever. He said the only way to remove that fat would have been to make the incision from the top of the thigh to the knee. My doctor is terrible. I spent $20 for nothing. To make matters worse when I asked him if he knew of my doctor through teaching at Stanford he had no knowledge whatsoever. So I think its all a big lie. I have an email into my aunt to try and find a medical malpractice attorney. If I get enough bariatric surgeons involved I think I can win. Please let me know if I am handling this correctly. All my surgeon wants to do is lippo me some more and take out some skin. The other surgeon said I would definitely not get the full results I am looking for! Julie

Julie - I am so sorry you are going thru this. It must have been quite difficult to hear the info you heard.

I will step in for a moment and suggest that you get at least one more opinion (if not more). Both of these dr's have a vested interest in their own practices and parting you with your money. How can you be sure that this dr is any different or more reputable? If I remember correctly from your posts pre ps, you did a lot of work and consultation in picking #1.

The more I read on this forum, the less trusting I am about dr's opinions (every time I hear one opinion - about anything- there are tens if not hundreds of others with totally different information) - but that also means that I wouldn't trust this new guy either, without way more information. Since you have spent so much money already - can you go to Dr. #1 with the info from #2 and see what #1 is willing and able to do for you? If you jump into a lawsuit right now, you will not see anything more from the money you already paid.

I wish you the best of luck and success in this part of your journey. I know you are a strong person and you will be able to see this through.

I would do exactly that, go back to the first doctor with your new information. I dont know that you can necessarily trust the second doctor anymore than the first, he might just be after more of your money.

I'd even go and see a third surgeon!

You really need your wits about you with these things, but you also need a hefty dose of luck when you're relying totally on someone else's expertise. I'm sorry it hasnt quite worked out the way you would have wanted.

Hi Julie,

I'm sorry that I don't have any good advice to offer regarding this situation, but I did want to tell you that I'm really sorry to hear that things didn't go the way you'd planned, and I'm hoping that you'll get it all worked out.

I do agree with the other posters that you might want to seek yet another opinion and possibly even a fourth until you find a Dr. in whom you have complete confidence. I would think that correcting another surgeon's mistakes requires even a higher level of skill and experience on the part of the Dr. doing the revision.

Thank you all for your posts. I meet with the 2nd PS next week to see what he has to say. I think I will get at least 2 more opinions before this is over with.

Wishing you the best. Glad you are getting a few more opinions. I don't think most doctors are in it only for your money. And even if there were, it wouldn't pay to have unhappy patients. Good practices are built on reputation and word of mouth. I think there are many approaches to ps. I had some docs that wanted me to do Lipo first and others that prefer to do it at the same time. Part of it could be where they trained, how much CE they do and yes, experience with bariatric patients. I am having more ps surgery in October and my doc is fixing one of my breasts (that he did) that is a little lower than the other at no charge. He is also revising my TT, with a vertical incision because I have lost more weight and have more loose skin. I was like you and had some upper stomach fat as well. I was and am happy with my first TT, and wasn't anixious for the additional scar, but I'll look much better in clothes. I am paying for the revision of my TT, because it's not the doc's fault. Also, having a thigh and butt lift and arms done. I hope you can resolve this and get the results that you want.

Julie:

How did you make out with your 2nd ps opinion?

Please keep us posted. Thank you for sharing because it helps all of us who will go through this in the future.

Take care.

Sue

I too am sorry to hear you are going through this. After spending $20K and NOT getting the desired results I'd not only be frustrated and angry, but sad as well. Here's hoping you receive a positive resolution with this whole thing!