Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Completely Frustrated

I was out with some friends this last Friday night and my friend introduced me to this girl who is also getting the lapband done here in Memphis. I am excited for her and we start talking about the whole process and surgery.

She tells me she "already has approval from her insurance" but she still needs to attend a seminar and have her psych eval. So I tell her about this and a couple of the other websites I have found helpful. She says once she has met those requirements she is just waiting on a surgery date. That is bad enough that here is this other person just skippin right through and being approved for surgery with hardly any effort ( I KNOW I SHOULDN'T BE ENVIOUS but I am).

Then she proceeds to ask me what foods she won't be able to eat (because I pointed out she would have to give up beer(at least for a while) and carbonated beverages). She seemed REALLY concerned about consuming alcohol.

Then her next question was wether her port would be visible or be on the outside of her skin. This is where I KNEW she had NOT done ANY research. She didn't even know there would be adjustments to band after the surgery????? The only FACTS she knew where how much her insurance was going to cover and what procedures she thought she would have to do prior to surgery.

Maybe surgeons should do some mandatory testing to prove the patient is totally capable of having the surgery and that they totally understand the fundamentals of the surgery and their role in having the band work for them. And then those with higher scores get surgery dates quicker than those who fail.

I see people on here everyday trying to learn all they can and asking questions so that they can get the best results from the surgery and then so see someone who honestly has no clue and "just can't wait for the weight to be gone" (her exact words) makes me wanna pull my hair out. But since it may fall out some after surgery I think I should do something else. LOL. Needless to say she got up and didn't sit back down with us. I think she was "afraid" I might tell her more about the procedure and the things people have to do to make the band work for them and that it wasn't just a quick fix.

Like I said it makes me completely frustrated with some people. ARRGGG!

Ok done venting and thanks for letting me.

Wow, I don't know who to be more worried about, the patient or the doctor! I guess that some people don't want to know what is going to happen so they can live in denial, but I also think that that will lead her to not being successful. I agree that the doctors should make sure that their patients know all of the details. Mine didn't tell me that much about the process, but I knew a lot and I'm sure that that was obvious to him because I had a ton of questions! Well, all I can say is just keep doing what you are doing and once you have your surgery this will just be a blip on the radar!

I had to take a test before surgery that asked all kinds of questions about bariatric surgery and the band. The clinic wants to make sure that you know what you are getting into!

That is a little scary that the clinic wouldn't want their clients to know what they are getting into - especially with a major life change!

The revenge will be yours - you will be successful and she will struggle all the way through!

I just went to my pre-op and I had to actually take a test. I was shocked, they really checked the answers. It asked me all kinds of questions like how many grams of Protein should you eat after surgery, how much Fluid should be consumed a day, types of food that might be an issue or cause blockages etc etc. Thank God I come on here often, I have really really learned a ton of information. I feel like I could teach one of those seminars by now. As far as your friend, she will be the one that gets food stuck constantly and will gain most of the weight back in the long run. She thinks this is a quick fix, and that it isn't hard work- she is in for a rude awakening!!! Focus on you, and how successful you will be. Keep your head up and positive thoughts! Good luck and much success!!

My band journey has been really, really fast. From consult with surgeon to surgery will be 9 days! But before, since, and after that initial consult, I have done extensive research, had my questions for the doc ready when I went in, met with the dietician for 1 1/2 hours, asked her questions, then was quizzed by her after everything she told me, then had 1 hour of pre op and had to take a test. Plus I was given a notebook with just about everything I could want info wise and told that I had better be reading it when the nurse comes in to check on me post-op because they will be mad if I'm reading the National Enquirer instead (I've already read it twice!). Plus the dietician gave me a step by step guide for eating for each of the 4 pre/post op phases. Also went to the info seminar and my first support group meeting.

I'm the type that can't have enough info, can't be prepared enough, etc (AKA Control Freak:lol:). There really is so much to do and prepare, both mentally and physically. I feel sorry for the girl who doesn't know what she is getting into-it's likely going to be really difficult for her.

At first I was a little irritated about all the hoops my Insurance Company was making me go through to get approved, but I guess I'm glad now. I have to be on a physician supervised diet and exercise plan for 3 mos. before they will even consider me. I have to turn in daily food and exercise logs to my Dr. each month. Also have to meet with the Dr., Nutritionist and exercise Physiologist every month when I go for my weigh in. But I'm taking this time to pretend I already got the band and eat following all the rules that will be lifelong rules after.

I also had to take a written, graded test at my Dr's office. Plus all of the online research I've done. Want to be sure this is what I really want to do for the rest of my life - kind of like test driving a new car.

I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't know what to expect and how to live after. They are in for a rude awakening!

I know what some of you mean....I too feel like I could give the seminar/class for the most part. I tried talkin to this girl and give her the web address but she said the thought of seeing a video of the surgery or discussing the process of fills was making her squeamish. LOL Boy does she have a rude awakening coming.

Thanks to everyone who has "told their story" or provided info in any way.

Wow,, it blows my mind that someone could jump into this and not know anything about it.. I was explaining some of it to my cousin and he said he wouldn't have to go through any of that stuff, they were just going to schedule the procedure and get it done.. He had talked to someone else who went through it and made it sound easy,, I am positive the guy was being a guy and simplifying everything. I told my cousin that he will have to see for himself, but to be prepared to have to do some one the things I was going to have to do.. He said his friend still drinks soda,, yeah,, 4 oz a day not 3 cans or more.. I am hoping we can have another conversation about it before he goes back home for surgery,, or say a prayer that his doctor does more then just take his money!!

Is there anyway you can get your cousin to get on this website to get some facts? It's too bad that some surgeons will just get people in and out the door without them knowing and understanding all of the rules and the reason for the rules. I think that being an educated patient is KEY!

If she goes through with the surgery, I agree with all of you it will be an eye opening experience. I have learned a LOT from this website and my first meeting is tomorrow evening.

I want to know what's going to happen. I want to know what to expect, I understand it's not a quick fix, but if I do it right it can really work. I've watched the surgery online a couple of times. It helps to see how they do it. It also helps a lot to know what to expect afterwards, things to expect after surgery, food issues, how to get enough Protein, etc.

I think they should always be sure people understand what they're getting into with something like this, if they're looking for a quick fix that's easy, that's not what this is. I do get that....LOL