Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my surgery on June 10 and my first fill on July 21. It seems that there is something not right though, I realize the band is just a tool but I would hope for more after goig through the experience. I lost 18 pounds in pre-op and have struggled to take off another 10 since surgery. I eat much less and alot better than I ever ate before the band but still the weight is not coming off. Its discouraging when you see so many who have lost 30-40 pounds post surgery very quickly. I begged for an other fill which I'm getting on the 18th. I sure hope it helps. Anyway thats my story right now thanks for giving me a place to vent.

I feel your pain. It is a slow process, I always think to myself, How many years did it take to put the weight on? it wont be that quick coming off unfortunately. Maybe you need to increase your exercise?...i find that to usually help. Good luck to you!...

Hi there, I too feel your pain. I was banded June 21st and had my first fill July 25th and I have only lost 2 lbs. I would love to have your weight loss. Whenever I have that totally frustrated feeling I go to lap band fill forum and find there are people who don't lose until 3 or 4 fills and they say encouraging things. It will happen for us as well. I urge you to read some of their postings and hang in there.

Iv decided that its my sugar levels still out of control. I am going to start taking alpha lipolic acid and Omega 3 oils which last time helped me lose. The alpha lipolic acid is classed an an antioxident, but in a few countries is prescription controlled as a diabetes drug, but you can buy it over the counter here in health food stores.

Im walking at least a mile and a half every day, a few times twice. Im counting calories. Im eating right and only lost 1 pound in a couple of weeks and not losing inches either. Kroger here has salmon on sale this week which I intend to stock up on and eat for dinner the next couple of days. Im a month past surgery. No reason to be losing this slowly already, so going to try to control my sugar, counting calories isnt helping.

I was 157 lbs in 2007 and now Im 218 lbs to the person who said it took years to gain this weight. If you have out of control insulin spikes you can gain weight much faster than "years" as you assume. Dont know why people assume it took years to gain the weight for others, not always the case, there can be medical reasons.

OP maybe you need to try some other things, walk more try eating more fish without coating, cut down on sugar and see if it helps. I had 3 people attacking me about journaling on another thread, accusing me of being in denial and saying all I needed to do was journal, I was lying to myself and overeating and not honest, as if I cant count calories. I had found out once before I had to get my insulin spikes under control before I could lose weight and then the weight fell off until I stopped doing the things I should be to control my sugar. You may need to find out what works for you, like I did. Im turning over a new leaf today.

I had my surgery on June 10 and my first fill on July 21. It seems that there is something not right though, I realize the band is just a tool but I would hope for more after goig through the experience. I lost 18 pounds in pre-op and have struggled to take off another 10 since surgery. I eat much less and alot better than I ever ate before the band but still the weight is not coming off. Its discouraging when you see so many who have lost 30-40 pounds post surgery very quickly. I begged for an other fill which I'm getting on the 18th. I sure hope it helps. Anyway thats my story right now thanks for giving me a place to vent.

Ok I can completely understand your frustration. Me I am a SLOW LOSER.

I was banded MARCH 13th and I have lost only 34 pounds.

But I had to take a hard look at myself and tell myself that its ok to lose slow. Some of us are just slow losers. LOL I had to beat that montra into my head. Are you exersizing at all? that will help. You may not see weightloss from exersizing right away but you will see inch loss. Safe weightloss is 1 to 2 pounds per week. Just keeping thinking that way and you may find that you are not as discouraged.

Also a lot of the real fast losers have a higher BMI then you do so they will lose faster.

Vent all you want this is what this forum is for.

People with insulin problems as you put it, are usually caught early on due to symptoms and diagnostic testing, I was trying to be helpful and want making an assumption. I too have a glandular problem, However, that accompanied with an eating disorder helped with weight gain. Good luck to you!

tp78 you lost 34 lbs since March?? and consider yourself a slow loser?? I would be dancing in the streets.

To the person who said having insulin issues would be caught in diagnostic testing. I dont have insurance and havent had diagostic testing since I rarely go to the doctor. I did try and get into a diabetes study, my sugar levels were high enough, but I have no other co-morbidities, so I have been diagnosed many times with high sugar levels, pre-diabetes, not full blown.

I got the lap band on my own and was self pay (I went to Mexico where no testing was required). My point was there could be other reasons for not losing than just not trying. Sometimes we have to try other things in addition to working on our diet. Not everyone has diagostic testing. I was back and forth about the lapband and this was one place who said of course you are just overeating, get it, you wouldnt be sorry. So I rescheduled the lapband and got it. I have my first fill a week from Sat. Maybe the fills and results will surprise me. I hope so. I keep thinking if Im not eating more than a average of 1000 calories a day and exercising, I should be already losing weight.

Im still worried I made a mistake and got the lapband for nothing, that overeating really wasnt my problem. So, like everyone else, for whatever reason, I join you in frustration at slow losing.

PS Im also not someone who was overweight all my life. I was 120s most of my life, got up to about 135 in my late 30s. I didnt get up over 200 lbs plus until I hit menopause and my whole system seemed to go out of whack and doctors would just say exericse more, join a gym when I tried discussing why I was gaining 20/30 lbs in a month.

Edited by flowers

tp78 you lost 34 lbs since March?? and consider yourself a slow loser?? I would be dancing in the streets.

To the person who said having insulin issues would be caught in diagnostic testing. I dont have insurance and havent had diagostic testing since I rarely go to the doctor. I did try and get into a diabetes study, my sugar levels were high enough, but I have no other co-morbidities, so I have been diagnosed many times with high sugar levels, pre-diabetes, not full blown.

I got the lap band on my own and was self pay (I went to Mexico where no testing was required). My point was there could be other reasons for not losing than just not trying. Sometimes we have to try other things in addition to working on our diet. Not everyone has diagostic testing. I was back and forth about the lapband and this was one place who said of course you are just overeating, get it, you wouldnt be sorry. So I rescheduled the lapband and got it. I have my first fill a week from Sat. Maybe the fills and results will surprise me. I hope so. I keep thinking if Im not eating more than a average of 1000 calories a day and exercising, I should be already losing weight.

Im still worried I made a mistake and got the lapband for nothing, that overeating really wasnt my problem. So, like everyone else, for whatever reason, I join you in frustration at slow losing.

PS Im also not someone who was overweight all my life. I was 120s most of my life, got up to about 135 in my late 30s. I didnt get up over 200 lbs plus until I hit menopause and my whole system seemed to go out of whack and doctors would just say exericse more, join a gym when I tried discussing why I was gaining 20/30 lbs in a month.

Flowers,

Slow loser compared to her 28 pounds since June is what I meant. it took me 5 months to lose 34 pounds I am slow compared to a lot of people on the site. LOL. But I am happy with it.

When were you banded July and you have lost what 15 pounds by what your ticker says. So so far you have lost faster then me as well.

I also have a problem with insulin due to PCOS but I take Metformin.

I was banded July 9th, about one month ago as I said above. I lost the easy weight right away the first couple of weeks, then the last 2 weeks, is when I stalled out.

Im just going to be more careful of sugar and carbs and keep on eating well. I actually cancelled my lapband surgery and posted two threads saying I was really having a hard time deciding if I should get the lapband if I wasnt not overeating. Three folks attacked me saying I needed to journal and that I was in denial and so many said I must be overeating and just didnt know it that I rescheduled the lapband, but I was never convinced that I was overeating before I got the lapband, so how is it going to help me?? Well, I get my first fill Aug 16th, maybe that will help and the fills will surprise me.

On another board, we had a turtle thread for slow losers. Maybe we can start a thread like that. I see some who lose huge amounts and I look and their surgery was 5 months ago, and Im like wow. And hoping for a miracle for all of us. The skeptic part of me wonders. lol. I wish I was as postive about the band as everyone else here seems to be. Im sure willing to be converted to a happy bandster.

The take away lesson one could glean from the above posts is

1. Everyone is different

2. Comparisons don't help you succeed, they just frustrate you.

3. Look at factors you can control in your situation to create better outcomes.

Good Luck. Being frustrated is annoying. Look for solutions and you'll feel like you are at least swimming in the right direction.

Peace,

I was banded July 9th, about one month ago as I said above. I lost the easy weight right away the first couple of weeks, then the last 2 weeks, is when I stalled out.

Im just going to be more careful of sugar and carbs and keep on eating well. I actually cancelled my lapband surgery and posted two threads saying I was really having a hard time deciding if I should get the lapband if I wasnt not overeating. Three folks attacked me saying I needed to journal and that I was in denial and so many said I must be overeating and just didnt know it that I rescheduled the lapband, but I was never convinced that I was overeating before I got the lapband, so how is it going to help me?? Well, I get my first fill Aug 16th, maybe that will help and the fills will surprise me.

On another board, we had a turtle thread for slow losers. Maybe we can start a thread like that. I see some who lose huge amounts and I look and their surgery was 5 months ago, and Im like wow. And hoping for a miracle for all of us. The skeptic part of me wonders. lol. I wish I was as postive about the band as everyone else here seems to be. Im sure willing to be converted to a happy bandster.

Ah Flowers I am sorry.

But you will be fine. Just remember the first 6 weeks is for healing not losing. That is what your doctor will tell you anyway.

I had the same questions. Since I did not over eat either prior to gaining either.

My doctor explained to me that with the band I would lose even though I have insulin issues. But I do not know why could not really get a straight answer. But so far I am losing. I have had 3 fills and I unfill.

Just keep doing what you are doing. And in no time you will see a loss.

Your first fill is coming up soon. Please let me know how you are doing.

Trish