Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sharp pain in Sternum area?

Im 2 weeks post op and am having extreme sharp pain in between my breasts in my chest. It's pretty continuous. Im not taking big bites or eating too fast. Sometimes it makes me nauseous. Anyone else having this? Any suggestions on what to do about it? Is it normal?

Hi I am having this too. I am 3 days post op and experienceing this since surgery. It feels like a bubble of sharp shooting pain that lasts usually anywhere from 5 seconds to about 20 seconds. feels like it wants to move upward but doesnt. I was told that this is gas...guess we will see! Good luck to you! Debbie:regular_smile:

Someone in the chat room told me to try Gas-X strips. They don't taste that bad and I don't think it would hurt.

I was banded yesterday and i have that pain in my chest also. I have found that walking really helps. Also if while you are walking pat your chest gently. This helps me burp and it feels better. Although the burping hurst a little. I was told that the gas x won't help this type of gas pain because it is because of the gas the use to inflate your tummy so they can do the surgery. anyhow try the walking and patting maybe that will help a little.

I am also having this pain and I dont think its gas. I am 10 days post op (7-23) and if I put pressure on it while I am walking its okay but then I am walking differently and then my back hurts from compisating feels like a pulled muscle in my back. My pain in the front is more of a burning type pain. I am following all post op instructions. I did however lose 18lbs at my 1st post op on Thursday.

I had a little bit of this right after surgery, but within two weeks it was pretty much gone... I believe it was a combination of gas and tightness due to swelling... as you heal though both get better. The gas x strips will help as well as a heating pad on your chest... warm liquids sipped slowly may help as well... warmth loosens your stoma (which is where you are feeling your pain)... good luck to all of you! I had my 2nd fill 2 days ago and finally have restriction... but do get that same pain if I eat too big of bite or don't pay attention....

Kammi in Everett, WA

DOB 5/27/08

335/298/180

Dr. Kuri - TJ Mexico