Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"personal" smell

Uumm, have any of you banded ladies noticed that you now have a new female smell? I started noticing it about halfway through my pre op diet. Its really bothering me. Its embarrassing to me. I won't let my husband near me like that, well, I'm still in pain too anyway. I only notice it when I go to the bathroom, but its not just my pee. I'm 7 days post op, I wonder if it will go away. Help, am I alone?

I noticed it also. I feel it is due to our urine being stronger, due to our decreased Fluid intake. What you see in the toilet (sorry) may not be dark, but that is because the amount being output isn't alot so it appears to be paler than it actually is. I slowly increased my Water intake and it is getting better. How much water/fluids are you getting. I was maybe getting 24 oz until the last few days.

I have the same deal going on. It's bad when I workout and sweat. So you're not alone. I'm a month out, the smell isn't as strong as it was right after the op.

If you have been on antibiotics you may have a light case of yeast infection. This would explain the smell.

Another possibility is that you are in ketosis from going on a high protein/low carb diet. Being in ketosis does cause bad breath and body odour - one reason why I don't follow the high protein/low carb style of dieting. There's no question that the Atkins-like diets work - you do lose weight - but I think there are other problems associated with them, with the odours only being one of many. Still, in the pre-op phase, you are looking to shrink your liver quickly, so as to make the surgery easier for the doctor and reduce the chance of bruising your liver or accidentally nicking it in the op. It's worth the inconvenience in the short term, but for me personally, I prefer a balanced healthy diet in the long term. Weight loss isn't as fast, but it is steady and I know I'm giving my body all the nutrients it needs without requiring supplements or the dangers that I believe are associated with high Protein diets.

I've noticed the smell too. I never thought of it being because of not getting enough Fluid. I think that is probably my problem. I just have a hard time getting enough liquids now. That was never a problem before surgery. But now, I just don't feel like drinking.

In some really hot countries, where Water to drink is an issue, the body learns to excrete urine through the skin. Could be something like this is going on?

I had my gallbladder removed several years ago and I discovered I sweat a sticky, sweet smell (can't explain it better). I've sort of figured out its the bile that my gallbladder would have collected at one stage. Its fine as long as I wash at least once every day. Maybe something similar?

Fanny Adams My Dr. said the same thing. Ketosis causes a change in body chemestry which causes a change in personal oders. Think about it, you are eating less and your body is using all of that stored fat and sugar and since you are now basically eating a high Protein low carb diet you aren't replacing all of the minerals and crap in sugary foods so if you are eating differently, of course your body will smell differently. If we all ate garlic we would smell like it. If we all ate chili powder or curry we would smell like it... Now it's just what we are NOT eating anymore that is making our body change.

I have to agree, not enough liquids, because when I only drink two ice coffees most of the day, I swear when I pee, I smell the coffee.< /p>

I'd agree with all of the above, and then there's also that "sick" smell you pick up in hospital and nursing homes etc. The anaesthetic can have an odour as it comes out of your body too, you just tend to smell sick after an operation, without being able to put the actual smell into words.

I noticed it strongly on DH, he smelled like a hospital for days.

My dog goes nuts when I come home from hospital. She constantly sniffs my skin, and knows exactly where my wounds are if I have any. Even my dog notices. Personally, I think you're in ketosis. It affects your breath, the smell of your sweat..... It's understandable that it would affect your feminine smell as well. Drink more Water. It will help, but not get rid of it completely. Add a healthy carb or two to your diet, and you'll see the odor will lessen. Even my husband commented about my breath about 2 weeks post op.

Wow - yet one more time you experienced ladies on the forums have saved this newbie some trial and heartache...

Now I know I've got to keep my Water intake up before, during and after surgery, and that I may have a distinctive 'flavor' to me after the procedure...

Knowing in advance is half the battle - thanks ladies!:)

I think it has to do with not enough Water, not eating enough healthy carbs and being on a high Protein diet.

I'm getting banded Nov. 18th, so I am on the 1 shake for Breakfast, 1 shake for dinner and 1 solid food lunch. Ever since I started that routine, my flower started to have a distrinct odor, which I never had before.

It wasn't/isn't a yeast infection.

I have always been a big water drinker, I carry my bottle around with me everywhere, so I know it wasn't strictly my water intake.

And the odor began when I started this routine, so I'm pretty sure it may have something to do with the shakes.< /p>

After reading everyones posts I think I will try to drink more liquids and incorporate some healthy carbs, instead of just having a high protein diet.

Thanks girls!!!

Good luck all!!!

I wonder if it is ketosis.. That will set off smells from places you didn't even know you had lol.

I don't mean to lol at you I am just thinking of how I felt and smelled once I hit ketosis..