Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Everyone!

I attended an informational session back in March, but then found out that my company had an exclusion for bariatric surgery. However, my husband's insurance does not, so I've been waiting until open enrollment in November so that I can join his insurance and be covered.

As that time approaches, I'm starting to do more research and read other people's stories, which is what led me here!

I'm 30, no kids, live in Atlanta and I work for a national non-profit health organization. Needless to say, at just over 300 lbs, I'm the biggest one here and I feel terribly out of place with all my super health conscious co-workers.

Over the past three years, my husband has lost 210 pounds without having any surgery. I tried to do it his way, but I just haven't been able to stick with it. I've lost and gained back the same 30 pounds probably 10 times.

I love fashion and design, so my goal is to be able to shop at trendy stores, not at plus-size stores and to be more comfortable, both physically and socially.

Hello Everyone!

I attended an informational session back in March, but then found out that my company had an exclusion for bariatric surgery. However, my husband's insurance does not, so I've been waiting until open enrollment in November so that I can join his insurance and be covered.

As that time approaches, I'm starting to do more research and read other people's stories, which is what led me here!

I'm 30, no kids, live in Atlanta and I work for a national non-profit health organization. Needless to say, at just over 300 lbs, I'm the biggest one here and I feel terribly out of place with all my super health conscious co-workers.

Over the past three years, my husband has lost 210 pounds without having any surgery. I tried to do it his way, but I just haven't been able to stick with it. I've lost and gained back the same 30 pounds probably 10 times.

I love fashion and design, so my goal is to be able to shop at trendy stores, not at plus-size stores and to be more comfortable, both physically and socially.

I know exactly how you feel. I am a Registered Nurse on a Pediatric unit and most of the nurses are very cute and tiny. So I know all too well about feeling out of place. Also I can't wait to be able to go shopping and know that I will be able to find something cute that fits. It is so frustrating to me when I want to go out and find something nice to wear, and I spend all day shopping only to end up settling for something I didn't want because it was the only thing that really fit.

I wish you all the best in getting approved for you surgery. In the meantime, please stick around. Keep us updated on your journey. We are all here waiting to cheer you on.

Sincerely,

Stephanie

I understand how you feel, regarding your husband. My husband stop drinking Coke and eating junk food and lost 60lbs. If I were you, I would try to find out as much as you can about the approval process from your husbands insurance company. Some companies require that you have attempted to lose weight through a supervised weight loss program from three to six months, and some companies require that you have a psyc. exam and other tedious procedures before you are approved for surgery. Good Luck.....you are one of the lucky ones. I have to self pay and I am about to go crazy in trying to find the money

ivytone,

Best wishes on finding money for you surgery. I was also self-pay and thought it would never happen for me. My ex-husband pretty much ruined my credit, so I couldn't get approved for financing or would get very high payments. My fiance said he would pay for it, yet the closer to surgery I got, the more he was against me having the surgery and kept giving me the run around about financing it for me. A friend of mine suggested I borrow from my 401k and that worked out just in time for my surgery. I put in the request on a Tuesday afternoon and had my money in the bank by that Thursday, which was a few days before my surgery the following Monday. I just wasn't going to give up. When it all fell into place, I knew it was meant to be.

I wish you all the best.

Stephanie

Hi Lazaruslady!

I'm from GA as well. I was a lucky one and insurance covered my surgery - BCBSGA...I had it about a month and a half ago at Emory - I wish you the best of luck with your husbands insurance. I'm so glad I made the jump! I'm down 30 lbs as of today :thumbup: