Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Keeping up with clothing?!?!

Hello!

I was wondering how often you ladies needed to go shopping for new clothing in your first six months post-op? I lost a cup size in just the two weeks I was on a liquid pre-op diet! I cannot even begin to imagine how much it is going to cost to keep up with clothes now!!!

Does anyone have any strategies?! :biggrin:

I lost the first 60 lbs pretty fast so I've changed sizes pretty quickly. I've gone from 26 to 16 in that time. Luckily I had saved some of my Skinny jeans (sizes 20 and 22) I bought a couple of pair of size 20 dockers when I had to get rid of the 24's and a few inexpensive shirts and that got me though work. I replaced them with size 16 capri's for summer. Luckily my sister-in-law lost a lot of weight several years ago and gave me a couple of nice "classic" dresses that have been my good clothes for the past couple of months. Clearance racks at Macy's, Penney's, etc are great, especially on "extra 50% off" days. I got a dress this morning that originally was $130. that I got for $40. It will get me through the rest of the summer. Goodwill and re-sale shops are great if you have time to look for just the right thing. Skirts with drawstring waists can go through several sizes before they get too big. Knit pants with drawstrings are also great for casual and can go a couple of sizes before you have to replace them.

The key is you don't want to spend a lot of money on things you are only going to wear for a few weeks. By the time they come into season again next year, you will be in a whole different size range. Save the bulk of your clothes budget for that knockout outfit to Celebrate reaching goal.

I actually didnt have a lot of problem with this, I'd lost 15kg (over 30lb) before I changed sizes, and being a BMI of 35, that was slower than it is for a lot of people. So I shopped once in the first six months.

Its now that its really a problem. I think I"m done losing, buy some new jeans, then lose 4lb and they're all too big on me. You change size MUCH faster when you've less to lose!

I just got done replacing my big sizes (22-24W) with my stored old sizes (16-20's) in my closet. It was fun to get into the old things and find the ones snug at day of surgery, falling off! I may take them to my next support grp mtg and see if anyone can use them. If not, off to Goodwill they'll go.

I have just started shopping on Ebay. I have been continuing to wear my 2X's but really need to move into 1X or 0X.

Anne

I have now lost 85 pounds and in a size 6, but i had to buy clothes starting at a 18 all the way down! way to expensive

My sister is a couple of sizes smaller than me and she has always been a big shopper so she's already saying that I can have her hand me downs when I lose 2 more sizes. In the meantime, I am wearing some things I already had in my cupboard that I can fit into again. I've bought a couple of new things but not overdoing it until I lose another dress size. Even then, I'm going to make do with the bigger things that still look alright on. Too expensive to buy and throw away after a couple of months.

I went from a size 18/20 to a 14 in six months and am at a 12 now. I only by what I need, basics, staples... and supplement with fashionable stuff from Target and Kohl's clearance racks. I just bought 2 pairs of pant from Kohl's for $5 each. Now THAT is the way to redo a wardrobe. As a size 12, I still wear a lot of 14s even though they are big... I'll wait till I am a 10 to 'switch over' some things. Also, for women, skirts are an easy way to not worry about switching sizes so often since they don't have to be fitted.