Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay, so I have heard about this situation but don't know if I am going through it or not...

I had my surgery on 5/15 and lost about 22 lbs so far. After the swelling and pain went away, (I also had a hernia repair) I was feeling okay..

Now, its been 2 months and I feel the same before surgery. I am eating like a regular person, just not eating too much. I have no issues with any food, I just feel no restriction.

I am scheduled for my 1st fill July 8. Is it going to get better then? Is it going to feel like it did right after surgery? How long will that last?

Any information would be appreciated.

As far as restriction goes, it's an individual experience. I did not feel ANY restriction until my 4th fill. My doctor told me to NOT WAIT a whole month until the next fill, if it wasn't working.. Make another appointment right away. Find out what your Doctor's policy is on how SOON is Ok for YOU.

CALL THEM!

GOOD LUCK! =)

278/232/180

Yep sounds like banster hell . You wont feel any restriction until you get a fill.

Even then it can take a little time.

Banster hell is the time after surgery when yoru healed and the time before you get a fill. Its "Hell" because we try to eat our "Small" portions on a "regular" appetite. There is nothing to stop us from eating like a normal person. So most people are hungry ALL THE TIME !!.

It will get better when you get restriction. Like i said keep in mind the FIRST fill MAY not give you restriction depending on what size band you have , it may take a few. SO be prepared. But you will get there.

once you do get restriction its a WHOLE new ball game.

Good luck

Mindy

Well, I hate to tell you, but unless you're one of the lucky ones who gets restriction on your first fill, it's going to take awhile. I was also banded on May 15th and I've had two fills so far. I have a total of 5 cc's in my 9 cc Realize band. I have minor restriction, that is, if I go out to eat and I'm served the usual huge over-sized restaurant portions you get when you go out, I can't finish my plate. For most meals though, I'm having to rely on willpower.

I've been making healthy choices, watching my Portion Control, and I eat no between-meal Snacks. Nothing. And my weight loss has been very slow. In the last 4 weeks I've lost about 3 pounds and it's getting frustrating. Right now I'm in the process of re-evaluating what I'm eating.... my calorie count is good, and so is my Protein level, but maybe I need to cut down on carbs even more than I already have.

I get my third fill this week and of course, I'm hoping that one will put me closer to real restriction. Although on the other hand, I'm already doing pretty well in the "diet" department so I'm beginning to wonder how much difference restriction is going to make.

Sure that is normal. I am one month post-op and am at the same point where I can eat more than I should.

Everybody is different. Many people do not get good restriction on the first fill but the fills have to be done a little at a time until they find the right amount for you. How long it will last until you need another fill is individual too. Starting at six weeks after surgery, average adjustments to maintain weight loss and goal weight are 6-8 in the first year and 1-2 the second year.

It depends on a lot of things. Your doctor may fill very conservatively and/or you may need more saline in your band to feel restricted. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but some people have to get 4 or 5 fills before they really reach much restriction. There is no way to know or predict.

Some docs use fluoro for fills, so they can see how stuff is moving thru your band. Some people report that this helps them feel restriction faster. Mine doesn't use fluoro or x-rays, so I can't comment.

After your first fill, follow your clinics after care directions (i.e 1-2 days of liquids, then 1-2 days of mushies, then solids) as your stomach will likely swell after the fill. You may feel quite restricted at the office and for the first couple of days and then it may go away. This is normal.

I don't know how big your band is. but mine holds up to 10 cc's of saline. I am at 7 cc's and have (for me) decent restriction, but I think I prefer my band much looser than many on this site. I still eat 3-4 oz of Protein and a cup of cooked vegetables for dinner. I was "lucky" in that I got to 7 cc's with 2 fills. A friend of mine who got banded by someone else took 6 fills to get to 7 cc's. My doctor told me once that in his experience, with my size of band, many people take 7-9 cc's to feel really restricted.

Probably the only advice I can give, is do your best and try to eat like a restricted bandster to the best of your ability. I don't agree with starving yourself by only eating 1/2 cup at meals if that doesn't satisfy you, as I think it leads to frustration and depression and rebound eating when you don't have restriction. But do remember, the feeling of being absolutely stuffed is a thing of the past, so try to pay attention to your body and stop eating when you feel satisfied, rather than the traditional "full". This is easier by taking smaller bites, eating way slower and really chewing your food.

Try to make healthy choices whereever you can. Journal your food intake so you know what you are eating and can make adjustments to your choices and your quantities accordingly. Increase your activity levels.

Sorry I can't give you any miracle answers that will make this part of your journey easier :wink_smile:.

I have a 4cc band and got 1 cc on my first fill and had restrcition the first fill. GOOD Restriction my first fill and have ever since.

BUT my fills also take up to 7 days to kick in .

So becareful w/ scheduling fills back to back at least after the first one or 2 . you need to see what your body does.

See how long your fills take to kick in .

Everyone is so different though .

Mindy

After your first fill, follow your clinics after care directions (i.e 1-2 days of liquids, then 1-2 days of mushies, then solids) as your stomach will likely swell after the fill. You may feel quite restricted at the office and for the first couple of days and then it may go away. This is normal.

You made some really good points... I just wanted to point out that every doctor has his or her own post-fill instructions. My doctor has no requirement that we do liquids or mushies after a fill. He says it's ok if we want to do mushies the first day but he wants us on solid food by the next day. If we can't eat solid food by then, he wants to know it.

I was banded on may 21st 2008. Im in the same spot as you. I could eat just about anything... and i did last week... well okay i went to taco bell 2 times. BUT this week is a new one... and so far im kicking butt! Just watch what you eat , be smart. Sometimes ur gonna be hungery but drink some Water to fight it if u can. Also i started to use the website dailyplate( free to use !! ). helps you keep track of what your putting into ur body. And it has made a postive impact on my eating so far. Best of luck!!

~~jessica :wink_smile:

I had my 1st fill a wk ago today, I got 5.5cc's in the band (Realize), well I had no restriction at all, so although I had another appt for July 14, I called the

MD's office on Friday, and went in this AM, and he put more in, and told me to stay on clear liqs until tomorrow evening. I told him what I had read about a delayed restriction, and he said not true. I didn't say anything to him, but thought, how would you know? you don't have a band. Hoping to get restriction, some at least, and he told me to keep my 7/14 appt.

You made some really good points... I just wanted to point out that every doctor has his or her own post-fill instructions. My doctor has no requirement that we do liquids or mushies after a fill. He says it's ok if we want to do mushies the first day but he wants us on solid food by the next day. If we can't eat solid food by then, he wants to know it.

Yes every doc is different. my doc is a bit more on the "Conservative side" when it comes to post fill diets. I have to do 3 days Clear Liquids 3 days liquids 3 days mushies 3 days semi solid foods after every fill.

So its best to go by what your doc says . Some day no liquids some day a day or so some say what ever.

Mindy

I was banded on May 31st and now that the swelling and pain are gone I am finding myself HUNGRY. I had my follow up surgeon's appt last week and I meet to do my first fill and nutritionist appt next week. Feels like forever. I lost 8 pounds the first week out of surgery and then sat at the same weight for three weeks...that was very frustrating.....over the weekend though the scale started moving again so today I am down 40 pounds!!Yahooo...that helps the motivation to stay on track for sure. I am trying to keep my calories in the 1000-1200 range as recommended by my doc and some days it is hard...I just keep trying to remember this is the last time I will be at this weight....this is forever and not a quick fix.......hang in there.....

I told him what I had read about a delayed restriction, and he said not true. I didn't say anything to him, but thought, how would you know? you don't have a band. Hoping to get restriction, some at least, and he told me to keep my 7/14 appt.

This was sooooooo funny to me. I know they are the medical experts but we actually have the band and we share our experiences.

I think MD's need to read these posts. It might give them more insight into what we go through.

This was sooooooo funny to me. I know they are the medical experts but we actually have the band and we share our experiences.

I think MD's need to read these posts. It might give them more insight into what we go through.

LOL This is funny to me too . My fills dont kick in for about 3-7 days .

My doc told me that they can take up to 2 weeks to kick in .

Sometimes i wish they would all get together and get their sh*t straight and cohesive !!

Mindy