Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

having banding with insulin pump question

:confused:I will soon be having my lap band done. I am a diabetic 2. However, I am an insuin pump user with humalog. Will I use it during surgery? If not, then do I reconnect after and do a glucose check and manual bolus to correct my level? Or do I just leave it all off and try to catch up to where my glucose level should be, later that evening? My reg. physician isn't very knowledgeable with pumps. Not too sure about the doc doing the banding. Have to still meet with him on the 11th of July. Any answers appreciated. JuneR

everyone is different So you should talk to your diabetic doc about this time.

What my docs had me do was lower my basel rate lower my carb ratio and test lots

I also had the sugar tabs on hand at all times.

I had my pump on me the hwole surgery

When I came to in the recover room they had me test right away I was 153 or something like that.

They give you sugar in the iv to keep you from getting low with no food I did do a temp basil rate starting at midnight untill after my surgery.

Good luck just let everyone know nurses doc pas everyone that you have your pump on you and that if you go two low during the surgery they can either up the iv or disconnect your pump.

Everything went great with me I also told them to ask my husband who would be in the waiting room if they had any trouble he is very knowledable on the pump.

thanks for the reply. My doc is heavily relying on medtronic personnel. So I will also check with them. I just wasn't sure about the pump during surgery. Where did you place it during surgery? thanks again for the info. June R

I too have a pump and scheduled for banding. My surgeon said he would have to check and maybe they will just put me on a sliding scale. I still have to talk to my endo but it there are nay other banded pumpers out there I'd love to hear from you too.

I had my banding done last July 15th. Two days later, I accidentally knocked off my port to my insulin pump. I, then, was only using the insulin plus other meds for hypertension. Well, I decided to see what my levels would be without using the pump and insulin. My levels stayed normal. I checked frequently and they stayed normal! I eat very little carbohydates now, so my levels stay normal. Infact, my last test was 5.8. I also was able to reduce my hypertension meds. So, I am down to one for hypertension and one for cholestrol. I was on 7 meds beside insulin. I have lost 74 pounds. Am totally happy with my decision of banding.

Hi Catlover4, I was banded on 2/10/09 and wear a Medtronic Minimed pump. The day before surgery I was advised to adjust my basal rate to 1/2 of the lowest basal rate. My pump was on throughout the surgery. The nurses monitored my blood sugar during surgery and were aware of how to adjust the pump settings if necessary. There was never a problem! Since my surgery I'm using less than 1/2 the insulin I did prior to surgery. It's very rare that I have to bolus myself for meals. However I have to suspend my pump totally during exercise otherwise I will go low. I've lost almost 50 lbs and I'm keeping my endo aware of my blood sugars. I just keep my pump site away from my port. The only problem I've had is I have less area on my stomach where my pump works because of the weight loss. There have been a few times that the canula has bent and I've needed to move my site. As my weight continues to go down both my doctor and I are looking forward to stopping my insulin.

Best of luck on your surgery, you'll do fine pump and all!!!!:rolleyes:

I know this thread is old, but as I'm new here I want to revive the discussion.

It appears that most of the pump users in previous posts were Type 2 diabetics and not really insulin dependent. So once your eating habits and body composition changed, you were able to do without additional insulin. My situation is that I am a Type 1 diabetic and my body does not produce its own insulin. I will ALWAYS need to supply insulin from injections or a pump.

I'm looking specifically for other Type 1 diabetics who can help me figure out all the little things associated with insulin and lap-band surgery.

On a side note, my endo has advised me to suspend my basal rate all together starting midnight before the surgery, check sugar often, and just take correction boluses as needed for 48 hours following. Once I'm able to start taking in a little more food we'll increase the basal rate slowly. I'm also dropping my carb-to-insulin ratio a bit so that I don't over-bolus.

This is the first I heard of keeping my pump on and active during surgery. I'll be sure to ask the surgeon about that! Thanks, everyone!

I love my medtronic pump and I can't imagine being diabetic without it. It's made life so much easier!

I'm not a Type 1 diabetic, but my son is, and since he got his pump when he was in grade school, I got all the training and managed everything for a long time...

When he had surgery a few years ago, he left his pump on the whole time. We actually didn't change his basals at all, and he still ran high for a few days. I'm sure it was the stress and the lack of any activity. I know you don't want to go low through this process, but you also don't want your glucose being sky-high while you're trying to heal from surgery.

Unless you've had surgery before, it's very hard to know exactly what your sugars are going to do. I've heard of people who go low in stressful situations. My son is not one of them.

The great thing about being a pump user is that you can adjust everything so easily. I don't know how you would figure out what to do if you were taking shots of several types of insulin. Before he started pumping, my son took 3 kinds of insulin. Surgery would have been a nightmare.

It's hard being a type I, but I know you've got the discipline to be a successful bander. You're already managing something much more difficult.

Cindy

Thanks for the input. Yep - I'm one of those people who get low sugar when I'm stressed or sick. So I'm sure I'll be in for quite a roller coaster ride. I've never had surgery before, so I have no idea what to expect.

Thanks for the input. Yep - I'm one of those people who get low sugar when I'm stressed or sick. So I'm sure I'll be in for quite a roller coaster ride. I've never had surgery before, so I have no idea what to expect.

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I was awake during my C-section so that doesn't count...but it is so hard to find type 1's that are going through this. I'm also on the pump. It's so frustrating when people think I'll be off insulin when I lose weight! Anyway, thanks for all the perspectives, it made me feel a bit less nervous.

I've been on insulin since 2008, I am a type ii diabetic started on the pump in August 2010. The night before surgery turned my pump off after my shower and I have not had it on since and I am proud to say I am 3 days post op. I am very confused about what is going on, but I know I do not need the pump giving me insulin when my readings have not been above 125 even post meals. I know right now I am not eating and I will monitor closley as I ad more food and carbs to my diet, but this is a great feeling. I too love the pump, but if I can be pump and insulin free for life I'd love that even more! Funny thing is that I am not one hundred percent I will not go back on insulin in that I refiled my prescription yesterday. My HgA1C has been pretty good, last reading 6.2 from a 13 when I was diagnosised. Good luck to all!