Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else getting cold feet?

I"m getting my lap band on 7/22/08, It's getting close and now i'm wondering if I picked the right surgery. lap band, sleeve, GBS, mini bypass, I'm self pay so I want to make the right choice from the get go. Maybe it's just nerves. just wanted to know if anyone is going through this or has gone through this? :angry:

I was self pay too, and when I first started doing my research, I "knew" that I wanted bypass surgery; I thought of the lap band as the little step-sister of bypass. But the more research I did, the more I realized how serious bypass surgery is, and how much higher the risk of complications was. I began to fear bypass surgery. And being self pay, I knew that if there were complications, those would be self-pay too, and if worse came to worse, they could bankrupt me. So I began looking more and more seriously at lap band surgery. Eventually I wanted lap band surgery instead of bypass, even if I wasn't self pay. But. For weeks and weeks I was changing my mind every 30 minutes! I pretty much drove myself crazy. My brain was overloaded with research and I couldn't stop going back and forth between the two.

Finally I came to the decision that lasted a lot longer than 30 minutes.... to go with lap band. Once I made the decision, I never looked back.

That being said.... since I got the band on May 15th, and have been introduced to the world of bandster hell and going for fills and waiting to reach the "sweet spot", and seeing the weight drop slowly since surgery.... I've had a moment or two where I thought about the fact that with bypass surgery I wouldn't be going for fills and I would have lost a lot more weight by now. But, I still wouldn't go back in time and make a different choice. Lap band surgery was a simple surgery for me, with a quick recovery. In the long run I'll be glad I lost the weight slower -- I don't see myself able to afford plastic surgery to get rid of extra skin, so the slower I lose it, the healthier for me, and hopefully less sagging skin.

In the end, I'm really happy with the path I chose. You shouldn't feel trapped into a procedure you're not 100% sure you want, just because you have a surgery date..... do more research and soul searching and decide what you really really want before you take the plunge!

I think it is PERFECTLy normal to feel nervous because of the "surgery" part but if you are unsure about getting a BAND, maybe you should re-schedule until you are 100% positive. I apologize if that sounds negative, but I would never go through this unless I researched it A LOT and was TOTALLY ready.

I was 100% LAP BAND READY because I didn't want to lose weight so rapidly and have to be on Iron pills forever because they removed part of my small intestines.

Call your doctor and schedule another consultation !! be sure its what you want because this is your body you are dealing with.

I bet your Doctor would agree to another sit-down to discuss ANY doubts or fears about choosing the surgery thats RIGHT FOR YOU!!

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!!!!!!!!!

278 surgery weight

234 current weight

180 goal weight

Hi Kimaly -

I was just banded this past Wednesday on 6/25. I too am a self-pay and was having a hard time deciding between lapband and by-pass. Knowing that if needed, the lap-band is reversible, helped in making my decision to go the lapband route.

A very close friend of mine had a by-pass about 5 years ago. She moved out of town a couple of years ago ..... wah!! When she called and checked on me the other day she asked a bunch of questions about the lap band, pre-op and post op diet, etc. then mentioned that she thought she needed to get her surgery re-done because she's gained a fair amount of weight back. I'm not even sure if by-pass surgery CAN be redone.

I remember in the beginning with her tby-pass, and several months after hat she had A LOT of throwing up and A LOT of "dumping". After I explained everything that I knew and experienced so far with the lapband, so said, Oh - that sounds so much better.

I had a flood of emotions before the surgery if I was doing the right thing, or even if I should do this at all but I'm sure that's normal. I really am glad that I've done this - and will use this "tool" to best of my advantage!

Good luck with your decision!

Thx everone, Just wanted to say it's not that i'm not sure and I have done alot of research 2 yrs worth. Just getting nervous the closer it gets. and was wondering if others felt that way before surgery. Just sometimes going through this site and seeing the problems others have had you just get that oh my, what if that happens to me thing going on. Guess I was just needy last night and wanted some encouragement. Once again thx for taking the time to respond, This is a great site and ya'll have helped me alot in those breif moments of worry.

Thx everone, Just wanted to say it's not that i'm not sure and I have done alot of research 2 yrs worth. Just getting nervous the closer it gets. and was wondering if others felt that way before surgery. Just sometimes going through this site and seeing the problems others have had you just get that oh my, what if that happens to me thing going on. Guess I was just needy last night and wanted some encouragement. Once again thx for taking the time to respond, This is a great site and ya'll have helped me alot in those breif moments of worry.

U know one thing is to look but not to harp on the issues that others had. They are not u.. Not to sound harsh or anything but i did the same thing I was like omg look at all the issues with people throwing up and food getting stuck and shi*. I don't think this is for me... but i prayed about it and there were things that i have learned along the way. Take your time and chew your food good now, dont drink any liquid 30-60 minutes before of after your meals now.. start acting like u have the band now. I haven't had choking or throwing up at all and i thank God for that... Not saying that everyone is not ready for the change, but I was ready and still am. Just as u will always hear the band is a tool and if u dont work it nothing will happen. If u are trying to build a house and u have nails that have to get in the wood and u lay the hammer down by the nails and the wood thats all it will do is to lay there...U have to work the hammer with the nails in order to start building the house.... U can do it put the negitive thoughts out and know that u have come this far and u ain't gonna turn back now....:thumbup:

Your right, Thx

It's perfectly normal to have these doubts and second thoughts. I have researched thoroughly, too. I know intellectually this is the absolute right thing to do. And yet, I am having moments where I just freak out thinking about the surgery and everything I have to do. As you will see below, we are right on schedule!

I'm not sure who wrote this, and I wish I could give attribution, but I offer this for your consideration:

Stages of Banding

Discovering the Band

Wondering if this is for me

Investigation

Doing serious research

Joining a support group

Getting hopeful

Finding a doctor

Shock at the price

Deciding to do it

Making the arrangement

Wondering if you made the right decision

Getting nervous

Going ahead with it

Waking up and wondering what the hell you did to yourself

Post-op discomfort

Month of liquids- not being able to strictly adhere

Wondering if you've been scammed again

Seeing a little success

Getting your first fill

Changing your eating habits

Seeing more success

Getting second fill

Really losing

Seriously changing your eating habits

Being totally euphoric about your weight loss

Changing your thinking about eating

Wanting to tell every fat person you meet about the band

Realizing you really can't eat

Worrying about nutrition

Learning to eat healthy and wise

Finding other ways to meet your emotional needs

Realizing it takes a long time to lose 100lbs

Trudging along

My clothes are too big

Buying new clothes

Oops, I bought too much too soon...now these are too big

Buying more clothes

Getting near goal

Enjoying all the compliments

Feeling successful

Getting aggressive

Not taking crap from anybody

Realizing you can be assertive without steam rolling everybody

Finding balance

Wondering what comes next

**There are other stages and everybody does not go through them in the same

order or even go through all the stages. Some people might have stages to

add....and there is some looping back and forth. But these are common stages

that Bandsters go through.

Thanks Orea15, Your great, I noticed your from orange,va. I beleave i told you on a earlier thead i was from windsor, about 3 hrs from you. my ex inlaws (great people) live in orange on lake Anna. It's really nice up there. Thx so much for the info it meant alot to me.

Actually I live in Vienna, which is at about 9 o'clock on the Capital Beltway. :-)

Feeling better today?

Orea

I know how you feel...I'm expecting a call this week from my surgeon's office letting me know if I've been approved. I'm looking forward to this call...and I'm terrified of it all at the same time.

Once I'm approved I know I'm REALLY having this done.

Feeling alot better thx for asking orea

I know how you feel...I'm expecting a call this week from my surgeon's office letting me know if I've been approved. I'm looking forward to this call...and I'm terrified of it all at the same time.

Congrats, I think the waiting is the hardest, you know from time to time your mind will start woundering. But there's always people out there like those of you that responded that will help settle them for you. good luck and keep us posted on your progress!! :wink_smile:

That's exactly where I am, too! I joined this forum 2 years ago, only to be turned down by Anthem BCBS. Direct exclusion they said. Now two years later I find other people in the same company with the same insurance have been covered for the band. I resubmitted everything, including my new co-morbidities, and more recent diet failures :)

After searching the new union contract along with the newly negotiated insurance coverage, it looks as though I may get approved. I am trying not to get my hopes up.

But the dumbest part is that I have read this forum and researched and hoped for two years, and now when it might happen I am starting to wonder if I know what I'm doing.

Also I've noticed that I'm wanting to overeat even more because "I might never get to enjoy my favorite (insert anything high fat high calorie) ever again! What am I trying to do to myself?

I really hope you get approved, This is what I was talking about the more real it is the more your mind starts to wounder. But just a little advise try not to over endulge to much, that's just more you'll have to get off later. anyway that's how i'm trying to deal with it. I keep trying to justify that last hugh meal of everything i love but i just keep telling myself it's not worth it. 4th of july is going to be hard for me, we have a big party for my hubby's employees no beer, burgers,potato salad, ect. ect. ect. for me. I'm looking at that as a true test on how the future will be. I think I can deal with it. I'm just keeping in mind whats important. good luck on your journey.