Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

I am banded :biggrin2: I was banded yesterday morning and was discharged from the hospital this morning.

If it wasn't for that sharp pain I have in my left shoulder, I would have said I feel GREAT! But that shoulder pain is really killing me. Especially when I breath. I was told this is the gas. Apparently it goes all the way up to the shoulder :blushing:

Did any of you discover a way to relieve that pain? Even Tylenol is not working :hurray: The nurse at the hospital said I just have to give it time but it is really painful. I mean REALLY painful :party:

I put up with this for quite a few days, yesterday I tried a Chiropractor and that didn't help. Tomorrow I have a massage scheduled but last night I used a heating pad instead of an ice pack and it felt a lot better. Good Luck!!

you need to walk,walk,walk...it helps so much. i had the severe pains too. i walked, used electric heating pad to sleep, and the heat Patches that last 8hrs when i returned to work. use therma care, they work the best :blushing:

7_5_142.gifHi sunflower...Congrats on your banding! I would roll my shoulders. Roll 1 then the other. Do this about 10x then reverse and then do them together. That helped me. My dr. said to lay on the floor or bed with feet against the wall/headboard then pull legs towards you..kinda like pooping a baby that is constipated.. Also get Gas-X strips. Hope this helps you. Good luck on your journey.

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb095&pp=ZRxdm609NVUS

I was banded on Monday and I am still having the terrible shoulder pain. I have been laying on a heating pad and an ice pack, taken gas stips, walked and had my husband massage that area. It seems to feel better at times, but always comes back. I sure hope this will pass.

Hi Sunflower - I had this sever shoulder pain following surgery too and found that about three Chriropractic adjustments did the trick for me. Try it - it was worth the investment. Good luck. Jodylou

i no how this feels i had my gall bladder out and i suffered really bad but it does evetually go away i am getting banded on the 21st of july and it is the only thing scaring me is that shoulder pain.

susie

hi there, the shoulder pain i've had (in my back between my left shoulder blade and my spine) has been intolerable at times - like i'm being stabbed constantly! tylenol didn't help me either. even the roxicet didn't do it. hurt more by walking - the more i breathed the more it hurt!

i had a hernia repair too and i've heard that what i am experiencing is referred pain from my diapragm. the only think that has helped me (other than laying in bed and breathing very shallowly for a while or bending at the waist and hanging my left arm down like a monkey!) is papaya enzymes. the post op support group that i went to this week recommened them, i bought them and WOW, the pain is GONE. no kidding. it's a digestive enzyme. all natural - i figured it couldn't hurt and was very pleasantly surprised!

good luck! i know it can be very painful!

I was banded on the 13th and still have a bit of shoulder pain on my left side. It gets worse when I drive.

Although it could be completely unrelated. I have odd aches and pains and sometimes wonder if there is something else going on. Or it could just be from lifting an almost two year old all over the place.

Thank you all for the valuable suggestions. I had already tried walking and heating pads but they both didn't seem to have an effect :angry: Yesterday I tried Tylenol with Codaiene and that didn't work either :(

greyhoundmom, how long did it take for Papaya Enzimes to kick out in your case? I started them yesterday after reading your post. I hope they will work for me to!

hi there, the papaya worked pretty fast for me - later the same day that i took them (1 each time i eat) the pain was reduced to tolerable/mild. i went to the physical therapist friday and she found i had a rib that was not seated right (however they put that! possibly from how i was moved around on the operating table) and she popped it back into place. so i think i had 2 things going on. i am now pain free. when my stomach feels acidic, i take a papaya enzyme chewable and it is better. i think i will stick with those for a while. i hope you get some relief soon sunflower00!

hi, yes, the most extreme pain subsided within a short time of eating the papaya enzyme (not the fruit!). it seems to help with excess stomach acid - i'm not 100% sure but it helped and i take it with each meal right now. will stop that eventually. good luck! hope it helps!

Hi all, just a quick update...

I saw my doctor yesterday as the pain was getting way out of control. He is suspecting that it might be a blood clot that went all the way up to the shoulder! He gave me some self-inject anti-clotting injections and some strong pain killer to take every 4-6 hours. I have been taking them every 4 hours and my pain went from 9-10 (on a scale of 1 to 10) to 5-6.

He said I should see him again on Wednesday if the pain didn't get better by then. I'm thinking of seeing him anyway to make sure everything is ok.

Moral of the story: Go see your doctor if the pain is severe! You never know what could be going wrong.