Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tolerable/Intolerable foods?

Hello All. In your personal experience, what foods go down easy, and what foods do you have trouble with? I am being banded next month, and am not a glutton for punishment with food. I don't even want to try anything that may cause me discomfort.

everyones different bread doesn't bother me but alot of people have aproblem with it i think the worst is meat if it does go down it doesn't always stay down

I can eat really crusty bread like a good Italian or french. Anything doughy is a no no.

I'm great with seafood but steaks and roasts don't usually work for me. (with the exception of prime rib, cut small with a horseradish sauce to help it down.) For the most part, I don't eat beef except for the occasional hamburger or meatball without bread.

I'm weird with chicken though. I can eat it breaded and fried (bad, I know) but can't eat it grilled or roasted. So I do occasionally have a fried chicken cutlet for some variety. I can't eat seafood every day.

Pasta never seems to work for me at all, same with rice. I suppose that's good since I'm a carb addict and those are my weaknesses. When I make the rest of the family spaghetti. I take a couple of spoons of part skim ricotta and put the Pasta Sauce and parmesan cheese on it. I eat that instead and it's actually pretty yummy. It's like baked ziti without the ziti!!

Everyone is different and it also depends on your fill level. You notice the changes between fills.

I love steak, but almost everyone I've talked to post-band says it's almost impossible to eat. :redface: I hope I'm one of the people that can tolerate it, but in all honesty it's not enough of a deal-breaker to stop me from getting the band.

If I have to live w/o steak...so be it. lol

I had heard that a lot of poeple had trouble with rice, but I ate it for dinner one evening and had no trouble with it. A week later, my mom made sushi rolls and fried rice for lunch and invited me over. I took one bit of that sushi and knew instantly that it was NOT a good idea. I kept it down but I just "knew" that I should not have anymore rice that day.

So much of the banding depends on you and your circumstances. I believe that it didn't go down so well, because my band is tighter at lunch and because the rice on the sushi was cold. I seem to do better in the evening and with warm foods.

Best of luck to ya.

Watch out for dry meat, fibrous produce (the lower part of an asparagus stalk, particularly chewy pineapple, stuff like that), and doughy bread.

I'm a person who has no qualms about spitting out anything that doesn't chew down to nothing, so if I get a tougher steak I end up with little pieces of chewed steak discreetly stashed under the edge of my plate. :thumbup:

About the only food I won't touch anymore is french fries. Especially steak fries. I've never PB'd in the almost 3 yrs since banding, but I've gotten stuck a couple times and french fries are T-R-O-U-B-L-E. Which is fine -- they are hardly conducive to weight loss!

Don't be afraid to experiment -- remember, you can always spit something out if you can't chew it down completely. And it's not the end of the world if you do end up PBing. I'd hate to see you drop foods you like just because maybe they might not go down (like steak!)

Oh, and watch out for drinking something really cold -- like an frozen margarita -- right before eating. For me, it tightens my band up considerably and I can barely get anything down. Not that we should be drinking frozen margaritas anyway while trying to lose weight, but it happens from time to time. :cool2:

i had trouble with steak but i found the better cuts are much easier porterhouse t bone ect. more expensive but i'm able to really enjoy a nice steak dinner

I can eat almost anything as long as I chew it really well. I can eat bread as long as I take very small bites of it. The one type of bread that I did have trouble with once was sandwich bread, like the light bread. I haven't eaten it since. I also can eat steak as long as I chew it really well and again take small bites. I think it is different for everyone.

Hey

when i had little restriction i could eat most things except bread and fried foods. i now have a lot of restriction and can eat small bites of a med well tbone,tender chicken grilled, mostly i can eat dairy, some vegtables and tender meat. i can still enjoy my popcorn for my carb fix. i really stay away from carbs except for the popcorn. Good luck

Lisa

Learned just this evening that ribs are off the menu for me. Gave me terrible CP and epigastric pain for 2 hours. And, I only eat two small well chewed bites.:thumbup:

I can't do rice, Pasta, soft flour tortillas (OMG!!!!!!!!!!) or any microwaved meat. I do fine with chicken, steak, seafood, asparagus or pineapple. But, I got really sick once on an olive and I LOVE olives! The most disappointing one is the tortilla shells...

One of my favorite foods is avacado and they are so good for you that I add them quite a bit.

As far as beef, it has to be a good cut, I cannot eat very fatty meat. The gristle is HORRIBLE and you can only chew it so much before you just give up and spit it out. SO, I usually don't eat any beef in a restaurant (unless it is the occasional hamburger), just at home.

I do ask at restaurants if any of the meats are microwaved. I can tell EVERY time. I went to a conference for school the other day and the meal consisted of a huge plate of Pasta (and the 5 ft nothing, buck o'five chick sitting next to me at the whole freakin' thing) with chicken on it... MICROWAVED chicken... I spent most of the next 30 minutes after my first and only bite in the bathroom. NOT pleasant.

But, you just have to try things. we're all different! :thumbup: Hope all goes well for you!

Everyone is so different it will be hard to gage what you will be able to eat and what you won't. I'm finding that after my 3rd fill, some things are changing again. It's a learning experience most of the time for me.

I can't eat any kind of chicken except really moist chicken salad. But I can eat steak, brisket, and hamburger. The steak has to be cooked med or med/rare. Shrimp and fish go down well too.

It depends on what kind of bread and what time of the day it is. Usually toasted bread is easier, but never for Breakfast.

I can't eat french fries and now I can't eat tator tots either. I can eat potato salad and mashed potatoes as long as it is really soft. I can't eat fried rice, but rice in Soups is okay. I can eat one piece of shushi as long as I chew it really well and don't have anything else with it. (I know, doesn't sound worth it but I loooovvveee sushi and miss it)

Normally I can eat eggs, but I tried a bite of my kids eggs a little while ago and it didn't stay down. I'm not sure if it's because I've had a fill and now I can't eat eggs or because I hadn't had my morning coffee yet. I usually can't eat Breakfast until I've had a couple of cups of coffee and not until 10 a.m. or so.

I can eat almost anything as long as it is chewed VERY well. The only beef I cannot eat is anything that is tough like fajita meat or any fatty steak. I did good with some lean BBQ brisket. I haven't really had any bread since my fill last week so I can't give you an honest answer on that. Stay away from those carbs, tho! :tt1:

I had no problems with anything until I had my first fill. I attempted scrambled eggs and they did not stay down. I took 2 bites and spent 30 minutes in the bathroom. A few days later I tried baked turkey breast, it was very tender and I chewed the one and only bite very well, but as soon as I swallowed I was in the bathroom. I have not attempted either of them since. I go for my second fill on July 21st!