Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Started thicken liquids/mushie and gained weight?!

Hello All!

I'm feeling discouraged. I'm 10 days post-op. I've lost 9-10lbs on the clear liquid phase but now that I'm in the thicken liquid/mushie phase, I'm starting to gain the weight back (gained 3lbs over the weekend). I've been keeping my calorie intake to under 1000 but still gained weight? Any suggestions?

You're eating more solid food than before...it's thicker and has more calories etc. It's normal to gain weight as you get to the mushie/soft food stages but you will start to lose again.

Don't worry, you're doing fine. Froggi is right, you may gain weight during this phase. Unfortunately, this is the time we call "bandster hell!" First you think you'll never make the 10 days of Clear liquids, then you think you'll never make it through the time of full liquids (mine was three weeks) and then mushies - you might feel like you don't know what to eat, but you'll figure it out. Keep coming here for support and go to any local support groups that you can. If your surgeon specializes in lap-band, call the office and talk to the staff.

Just remember - it's perfectly normal to not lose during this time - and many gain weight. Keep your calories between 800 and 1000. If you're exercising (later - after you're healed), you'll also need to figure out how many cals you're burning and factor them in: for example, you've burned 200 calories, and eaten 800 - you're still short calories - you'll need to eat 200 more calories to make the 800 total. Anything less and you're body goes into starvation mode and you won't lose at all!

Best of luck. I promise that you won't regret your decision!

Barbara

Yes, my doctor told me that it is very common to gain a few pounds during this phase. We are still in the healing phase...weight loss will come when we get our fill. He told me to watch the carbs if I don't want to gain too much of the weight back, focus mainly Protein with some veggies and a little fruit but avoid the starches (pasta, potato etc.) And of course get in some exercise.

Edited by Jodi_620

Hang in there! I went in for my first fill yesterday and had gained back 15 lbs! I wanted to cry. But I'm just buckling down now and moving forward.

Thanks guys! Glad I'm not alone. I've been feeling like I'm starving myself and working out too but still gaining weight.

Barbara9460: Thanks for the quick calorie cout lesson. I did not know that if I eat 800 calories...etc. It's just so hard to do a calorie count since most of the things that I eat are not listed anywhere on the internet (dailyplate.com, etc). I'm Asian so many things I eat and make will not be listed. Also, our main staple are rices, starches, carbs, etc! So frustrating!

good words of encourgement. i am having surgery on june 19. i really enjoy the honest respone on this site. i will come with concerns and now that i have support.. which is very good to know.

same thing happened to me...i was down about 3-5 more pounds before i started eating mashed potatoes and cream Soups -- go figure, lol! now that i have been cleared to eat salads and veggies (may 23 surgery), i think i will do better, and then i get a fill july 7, which should help a lot.

believe me, i did not like seeing that scale go up, but after two weeks of clear liquids, i should have expected it. it will come off eventually...hang in there!!!