Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sometimes I just have to laugh at myself, well either laugh or cry. I was on the treadmill yesterday and started thinking about non scale victories and how bad things had gotten prior to surgery. I do remember a few funny things that being a giant made me do. I thought sharing all of these might help us remember how bad things were and help us keep motivated. So I will start with.............

Breaking a chair in a Mexacan food resturaunt:blush:

Breaking our bed:ohmy:

Breaking the seat in my truck:confused2:

What were yours.......

weight.png

Awww. Just thinking of all the things like this makes me so sad. It's such a deep emotional scar. It will be strange not to have to worry about these kinds of things again. I feel so blessed to have the band as a tool!

When my oldest was really small she got stuck at the top of the playplace at McDonald's. She was screaming for me and I couldn't fit up there to get her. I had to ask one of the older kids to go up and get her. Poor little girl just wanted her mommy and I couldn't rescue her.

Last summer my kids wanted me to go down a slide with them at the jump place, but there was a weight limit which I exceeded. I had to tell them no and they kept asking why, why, why? I didn't want to say it in front of everyone so I told them I just didn't want to. They were so disappointed. The looks on their little faces broke my heart. All the other moms were going.

There are a million other times when my weight has held me back or embarrassed me. It's no wonder that I had gotten to the point that I didn't want to go anywhere or do anything! Not anymore!!! :(

Bea,

I had the same thing happen at McDonalds. My 4 year old was not crying but he would not come down and I needed to leave. How cool is it to have things like your past to be able to re-live and beat? I bet by the next time ya'll go to the waterpark you will be able to go down that slide! How cool would that be?

AP

I once got 'trapped' in a restaurant because I was too big to maneuver back through the tables and chairs to the door. It had filled up after we came in. It was embarrassing to have to ask people to move out of their chairs so I could get by. :laugh:

Dang toilet seats anyway. I have broken at least five of them that I can think of right off the bat. It's the cheaper ones that only have small supports underneath that would do it. The house I live in now has awesome, rock-solid seats on the toilets and I never worried about them breaking.

Once I was babysitting at my sister's house, went to the bathroom, broke the dang seat and was so embarrassed I had my hubby run out and buy a new one, and install it before they came home. I told my sister anyway because it wasn't a perfect match to their previous one. That has to be about the most humiliating thing to have happen to a fat person.

I broke a chair at a friend's house before. I was sitting in it and as I went to get up it collapsed.

Oh! This one is the best. I fell through the floor at a friend's house into her crawl space. The floor was about waist or chest level on me after I had fallen. The floor had been torn up to repair pipes underneath and not properly secured, but still it was very embarrassing. It was my birthday too.

The most heartbreaking one for me was trying as hard as I could to get the airplane seatbelt done up without an extender. I could get it, but just barely. I sat with tears in my eyes after I was done. And then buying a second seat for my big butt last September. Five months later and I was banded.

Last summer I decided to take my then 6 yr old son to the county fair. They had the ride where it slowly takes you up and then drops you. Well, he wasn't having anything to do with it, so, even though I didn't want to get on, I thought if he saw how brave mommy was and that I didn't get hurt, he would do it. I got in line and when it was my turn I climbed up on the LITTLE seat and then the operator came around to lock everyone in, when he got to me (the biggest person on the ride), he had to fight with the ride and kept shoving the contraption into my stomach and kept muttering under his breath, "you're too big, not gonna work". I was humiliated, but I sucked my stomach in as far as I could-I wasn't fixin to be kicked off this ride in front of everyone in this small town. It finally clicked, but I was in so much pain and got scared cause I could barely take a breath, but I did it and it impressed my son, I told myself that I would never let that happen to me again, I refuse to not be able to fit places that everyone else can. Unfortunately, I'm still big this summer, so I think I'll let his daddy do most of the rides and I'll just cheer him on to avoid humiliation.

GonB, that same thing happened to me once on the same kind of ride. I was with my little brother and he wanted me to ride that ride with him. The (skinny) girl kept trying to fasten it, but unfortunately for me, it wouldn't click. So I had to tell my little brother I was too big to ride and I had to get off. It was SO embarrassing. I don't know who was more mortified, me or the girl trying to fasten it.

Just hit the belt extender on the planes in the last year or so. Haven't even considered going to an amusement park in about 10 years despite the fact that I love rides.

What really kickstarted me into considering surgery though was my last scuba diving trip. No longer fit into my very expensive gear and had to thumb the dive (end the dive) on the surface because I couldn't catch my breath after struggling to get into my gear and it not fitting properly around my chest. Scuba is my favorite thing to do and even if I got bigger gear, I would consider myself a threat to my own safety right now.

Going to some band seminars this month and starting the process of picking a doc.

I took a plane ride to grand junction, co and it is a small airport with small planes. I took my seat, they only had 1 on 1 side and 2 on the other. I couldnt get the seat belt to fit and was too embarrassed to ask for an extender so i tucked it under my belly and pretended to be fastened in. I was so scared waiting for an alarm or something to go off saying "the fat lady in seat 5 doesnt have a seat belt on" Not to mention if there was turbulence and I had happended to fly out of my seat on top of someone. I survived and no alarms went off. I have not wanted to fly since but now after being banded on March 31, I am going to be ready to fly anywhere.

I love the fact that you are ready to try again. Flying sucks! I am 6'4'' and was 468. I went to Japan last year and it was HELL! Japan was awesome, they thought I was a wrestler so they were nice to me but the plane ride was hell. I had to suck everything in just to get the belt on. Not to mention not being able to see when I got off of the plane do to my high bp. I am now down an even 50 lbs and my bp is 120/70 in a year I want to fly somewhere and not have to lift up the arm rest........... we will see.

I know what everyone means about seat belts. I can barely get mine to hook in my truck, and I am too embarrassed to buy an extender, so I suck it all in and I eventually get it to hook. I will be glad when I don't have to worry about it anymore!

My FAT stories are this:

I was having trouble "cleaning" my back end on the pot. :sleep:

I was tired of the doors getting smaller and smaller. OUCH! Where did that edge come from? :confused2:

I couldn't scratch my own back. :waytogo:

My stomach became a great shelf to hold Cookies, chips, and pop on. :confused_smile:

I was out of breath going to the mailbox, and my poor dog didn't get walks for months. :tt2:

I didn't get to spend time with my family, because I was thinking about all the weight I had to lose. :cheers2:

I hated to fly. I didn't need an extra seat, but it was just a matter of a few extra pounds. But I couldn't sit without getting muffin top from the arm rests, as I barely fit in the actual seat.:scared2:

Most importantly...

I hated hiding behind my weight.:drool: