Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Self-pay Anyone???

Guest ChristinaNtexas

Guest ChristinaNtexas

HEY ALL:) . I AM NEW TO THIS SITE. IF I WANT TO DO THE LAPBAND I AM GOING TO HAVE TO GO SELF-PAY. SO NOW I AM DOING MY RESEARCH ON IT. IF YOU HAVE HAD LAPBAND AND WAS SELF-PAY PLEASE TELL ME WHERE, WITH WHO, HOW MUCH, WHERE YOU HAVE FOLLOWUPS/FILLS, HOW MUCH THOSE ARE, AND ANY INFO YOU THINK WILL HELP ME. I GO TO SOUTHWEST BARIATRICS AND WAS QUOTED 18,000:speechles , IN MEXICO IT SEEMS TO BE ABOUT 8,000 NOT INCLUDING FLIGHT. ANYHOW, ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED! THANKS~

CHRISTINA :banana

I am also gathering information on self pay. I use to live in Dallas area and have a friend in Carrollton that is looking at these doctors. You have several options in Texas. More than I have here in Memphis, Tennessee. Memphis is still holding their price at 18,000. But some Dallas doctors are coming down to 13,500 and I have even heard around 10,000. I copied the following information from my friends email.

" I just read on Lapband.com that there is a doctor in Mesquite that does

the lapband for $10,100 and that includes a nights stay in the hospital.

Also he only charges $100 for the fills. The doctor in Mesquite is Dr. Barker ".

There is many Texas lab-banders here on this site. You may have to look around for a bit to hook up with people in your area. What city are you from?

Christine,

Welcome to LBT!

WHERE YOU HAVE FOLLOWUPS/FILLS,

Just wondering, where are you located in Texas? Are you close enough to the border to continue aftercare in Mex?

I was a self pay. I used Dr. Benavides in Richardson. Mine was $15,000. It was done in the Surgery Center of Richardson outpatient. Mine also includes all fills for one year. Check out his website at www.drbenavides.com.

Let me know if you want anymore info. They were great!

I went to the seminar with Southwest Bariatrics and at the time they were offering self pay patients $15,000. This included surgery at the Surgery Center of Richardson. They are in the process of setting up a surgical center in Austin and the Surgery Center of Richardson (SCOR) was allowing them the use of their facility. My surgeon flew to Richardson and did my surgery and assisted on another one and then flew home the same day. I have all my follow up care in Austin and so far I have yet to pay for a fill and I have had 3.

My surgeon was Dr. Dillawn and I had my surgery Dec 8th, 2004.

Good Luck with your research.

Hello I have been researching on heere and it looks as thoughi am stuck going to MX i am a self pay and I will be using DR Lopez Some ppl dont care for him and then you see ppl who have used him and loved him so at this point i know a guy who lives close to me here and he used lopez and is doing great so ill be getting banded on may 11 I am not sure who he uses for his fill i do need to find that out and i am in east texas kilgore to be exact and he is in marshal ill try to keep you [posted when i get info

Ramon

Hi Guys,

I just got back from Mexico and Dr. Jose Rodriguez did my surgery in Acuna, Mx. The total cost was $7300. There is a $500 non-refundable deposit. I drove to San Antonio, parked my car in Dr. Rods schedulers drive way and she (Barbara) drove us to Del Rio where we spent the night and had our last meal in Acuna. The next morning she drove us to the hospital, paid the final pmt of $6800, had the surgery, spent the night and then Barb drove us back to a hotel in San Antonio where we spent the night. The next morning we headed out for home stopping every 2.5 hours for a walk about and pit stop.

The care at this small 10 bed hospital was outstanding. Their aim is that you never have any pain or a chance of infection. Although the english is very limited the care is by far superior to anything I've had state side. It is remarkably clean, the staff is very warm and caring. When my son went down two weeks ago Dr. Rod picked us up from the hotel and handed me his cell phone in case I needed to call anyone. Any body know of another doc who would do that??

I would recommend Dr Rod to anyone, he doesn't have that I'm a God thing going on. He wants you to be happy with your band and no surprises afterwards. You can check it out at joseband.com .

Thanks,

Mamadiggs

I went to the seminar with Southwest Bariatrics and at the time they were offering self pay patients $15,000. This included surgery at the Surgery Center of Richardson. They are in the process of setting up a surgical center in Austin and the Surgery Center of Richardson (SCOR) was allowing them the use of their facility. My surgeon flew to Richardson and did my surgery and assisted on another one and then flew home the same day. I have all my follow up care in Austin and so far I have yet to pay for a fill and I have had 3.

My surgeon was Dr. Dillawn and I had my surgery Dec 8th, 2004.

Good Luck with your research.

I had my surgery in Richardson with Southwest Bariatrics on January 31st, 2005. It was $16,000.

I am using Dr. Spivak in Houston. He charges $14,500 for the surgery and including 3 fills for the first year.

That's really great. However, will you really need 3 fills? What if you don't, will he refund the differance?

Mamadiggs

I selfpaid-I went to Dr Kuri in Tijuana Mexico and paid $8950.He does give free fills(you do have to pay $70 for flouro and $100 for transportation)but I dont intend on useing him for fills as Im in Houston Texas-the closest place to do fills for me is 5 hours away in Dallas but beats goin to Mexico.I saw a post saying that Dr Spiegel does fills near Beaumont and thatd be great but I called his houston office and they said they do not do fills so Im gonna call the other office monday.

I think how it is worded is actually "up to 3 fills the first year".

Alatina, Have you called the Physician's Surgicenter in Houston? They may know of a local dr. who will do the fills.

Guest Patti

I just had lap band surgery on April 7 in Oklahoma City. I was self pay, and it was $17,500 including fills for the first year. Slight cost differences in the area, but about average.

$12,500 here by Dr. Spivac in Houston Tx. and yes, it is possible you'll need 3 fills or more that first year.

I was fortunate, when I had my 2nd fill a few months back (dated on my signature down below) I achieved a nice restriction level that has carried this far. Losing 95 lbs. in 9 1/2 months is bliss!

Would I do it again the exact same way? You bet, In a heart beat! It comforts me to know that my Doctor & I have a "relationship" & I know he'll be there for me in case of an emergency. (crossing my fingers now)

Mexico is a bit cheaper but I've heard ALOT of people having trouble finding aftercare once thay get home.

Of course you need to do whats best for your budget. I'm just encouraging you to ponder the consecuenses if you decide to go to Mexico. Maybe you can call around and see if there is a Doctor in your area who accepts patients from other doctors.