Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone. I was banded on March 6th and had my first fill on the 6th of April. I didn't even feel a pinch. I was so happy since I was soooo nervous. I was supposed to get my second fill on the 6th of May but i was out of town so I just got it yesterday. Okay first of all i felt it a little bit and it took longer (dont' know why?) Since my first fill i had food get stuck like 5/6 times. Nothing that i couldn't handle. The hardest part was not drinking with food and waiting 30 minutes after eating. BUT yesterday he told me I HAVE TO WAIT 2 HOURS AFTER I EAT OR ELSE I WILL THROW UP. That doesn't sound right? anyone advice please? also i am afraid to eat because he gave my husband an extra needle in case i need an unfill. Why? should i worry? please advise!!!!!!!

I'm not sure why he told you that but most people on here have been told 1/2 - 1 hour after eating. How big is your band and how much fill do you have in it? It's strange that he gave your husband an extra needle... we are not encouraged to do fills or unfills for ourselves. Sorry to ask but is he an experienced lapband surgeon?

Wait your doctor gave your husband a needle incase you need a unfill, I think I would be looking for another doctor.

wow.... i would definately be looking for another Dr... that is his job to fill and to un fill u.. If u are having problems go to the emergency room... thats where infections start when things are done in a non sterile environment.

That sounds really strange...that is very unusual for him to give you a needle for your husband. Is your husband a trained medical professional??

My fill nurse gave me a needle with strict instructions that if I got to tight I was to take this needle to an emergency room so that they could get the fill out if needed. The reason she did this is because it was the middle of winter and I live 6 hours from the doctor and across a mountain pass.

I don't now why they told you 2 hours afterwards. My doc says 1 hour. I would suggest contacting another doctor as well, if that is possible.

Hey everyone thank you for your quick replies. I am living overseas temporarily in the Middle East and he is number one here and is Board certified. The reason he said he gave the needle to my husband is to keep it with us in case of emergencies to take it to the ER with us. Under no circumstances would i allow my husband to give me the shot. LOL. What i am worried about is should i worry that a problem will occur because of my second fill. And no Water for two hours???

I am not allowed to eat for 2 days after a fill. I am allowed to progress from liquids the first day of the fill to soft foods, but I am not allowed to eat food. Not being able to drink Water is more than a bit surprising. Maybe he is overly worried about the amount of swelling you may have!

salsa...wow....you results are wow....I hope i have great results like yours. A size 4 would be a dream come true. I don't live that far from the doctor, so I don't know, but he's a professor during the day and he practices from 5pm to 9 pm. Maybe that's why? I drank an hour later today and was fine. I am just scared!

Hi everyone. I was banded on March 6th and had my first fill on the 6th of April. I didn't even feel a pinch. I was so happy since I was soooo nervous. I was supposed to get my second fill on the 6th of May but i was out of town so I just got it yesterday. Okay first of all i felt it a little bit and it took longer (dont' know why?) Since my first fill i had food get stuck like 5/6 times. Nothing that i couldn't handle. The hardest part was not drinking with food and waiting 30 minutes after eating. BUT yesterday he told me I HAVE TO WAIT 2 HOURS AFTER I EAT OR ELSE I WILL THROW UP. That doesn't sound right? anyone advice please? also i am afraid to eat because he gave my husband an extra needle in case i need an unfill. Why? should i worry? please advise!!!!!!!

2 hours seems long. My doc told me that I can drink up to 15 minutes before I eat and 1 hour after I eat. I think that the goal is to keep the food in the pouch as long as possible. The longer it stays there, the longer you will feel full and not hungry.

Boo boo Kitty...wow great results! he told me i could an hour after fill. Weird. I am soooo scared that I will mess up something, he freaked me out about the second fill. Was it different after the second fill?

salsa...wow....you results are wow....I hope i have great results like yours. A size 4 would be a dream come true. I don't live that far from the doctor, so I don't know, but he's a professor during the day and he practices from 5pm to 9 pm. Maybe that's why? I drank an hour later today and was fine. I am just scared!

Thank you. I think you will be fine if you follow the general accepted guidelines of drinking 1 hour after you eat. Try not to be too scared. I would follow the same rules that you had after your first fill.

This is something that I have sent a few people about what I did. But in reality it was the mental change that happened. That is what made everything below possible. I finally made the distinction between an excuse and a reason. Here is an example. I have a VERY small blister on my foot. I don't want to run so I say I can't because of the blister on my toe. That is an excuse. A poor reason. Now if I had a broken ankle...that is a REASON not to run. Once I clarified that for myself and realized that I had been making excuses my whole life...my life changed.

You do need a combination of exercise and food... though I focused on food first. I lost 50 pounds before I started REALLY exercising.

My secret...I followed every rule!

1. I NEVER, EVER drink while eating.

2. Proteins first, veggies next ...and then I was pretty much done! I put 1 cup of food on my plate and I ate that. I never learned to stop when I was full. So I still have to treat myself as a 5 year old child. I give myself what I can eat and that is all I do. Yes it takes a lot of self discipline, but the empowerment you get from telling yourself NO will change your life forever. It has made me a better wife, sister, daughter, teacher and friend. I would overwhelm myself in the past and spread myself to thin. Now I can confidently say no, and things are much better.

3. I never deprived myself of any food so as to eliminate any cravings. The only thing I eliminated was rice because I just can't eat it any more. It gets stuck. And milk and ice cream...gone as well...I became lactose intolerant. I would have spaghetti...mostly with just sauce and ground chicken (my secret ingredient in everything), but I would have 6 penne noodles, just so that I didn't feel like I was being left out.

4. I had chocolate everyday...in the form of a pure Protein bar(that is the name of the bar...but I would stay away from the fruit ones...I thought they were disgusting.) It is low carb, high Protein and cut the cravings for sweets, because I had one everyday. I get them at wal-mart. Make sure to look for the 190 calorie ones...not the 300 calorie ones!

5. I ate at 4 distinct times everyday. For my schedule (I am a teacher) it was 6:30, 10:30 (my prep period), 2:30 and 6:30. The 2:30 was the Protein Bar.

6. Shhhhh...don't tell...I did NOT focus on Water. I am a scientist...you dont need 64 ounces of Water everyday. Drinking makes me hungry, so I only drink a half hour before I eat. I have to drink more now because I am training for a half-marathon.

7. Exercise...Once I added it, I did walking, strength training, elipticalling and now running. In fact the other day I just ran 10 straight miles. But that has taken me since January to do that. Take it slow...injuries will sideline you for a long time. Don't over do it because you will get angry at the amount of time you have to spend and stop. Start slowly and start to kind of like it. I still will never LOVE it, even though I train 6 days a week.

8. Set attainable goals. Little things that you can Celebrate.

9. Find what works for you. Not everything I did here will work for you. Find what does and you will have solved the mystery for yourself.

10. Make a menu for yourself for the week, and eat only what is on their. On Friday, if you have followed the menu exactly give yourself one food that you would not normally have, but that still fits in your calorie count. Make sure it is not something that will cause you to binge. I have 1 bag of popcorn.< /p>