Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was just banded April 24th, and everything is great except about a week ago, I started getting pains in my abdomen. You know how when you run, walk, run, walk, etc (when I was able!) you get that pain in your side sometimes? We always called it a "stitch." Anyway, that is what it feels like and it is right by my pelvic bone and switches sides. It happens several times a day, and only when I'm standing upright. I'm wondering if this is maybe just some healing/nerve pain from the surgery, even though it is much lower than my incisions. I have read a lot about strange pains on this forum. Or (note my age) perhaps my ovaries are freaking out?!! I haven't had the pains long enough to notice a cycle or anything. It would suck if being banded got me started with the big "M"!!!! Anyone else had something like this?

And yes, I'll ask my Dr. about it.:confused_smile:

Thanks,

Barb

Hi Barb,

I've been getting the same pains, but mine are closer to my port area. I was banded on May 9th - I wonder if it's related. It's not too often, but every couple of days I'll feel it and it'll last quite a while. Hmm..:confused_smile:

Alana

Tallahassee, FL

I say if you have any discomforts to ask your doctor.

I got the same pains too, and I still have the pain I get it when I haven't had a BM. Since banded I find more often then not it is when it is hard (pardon the pun) to go. Maybe you are consipated. Just a thought. If that isn't the case check in with the doctor. If you are a little backed up I suggest milk of mag. it works wonders without the cramping.

Thankfully, I've had no problem in the bowel movement department, so I don't think mine is that. :( I wonder what it could be.

I agree that it's a good thing to ask your MD. I was banded 3/19 and had the same thing happen. I was sure something was wrong but it ended up to be gas. Now -- when I get that I know what it is. It usually happens when I have not been drinking enough Fluid.< /p>

Yes, Penny, it could be not enough fluids for me too. I haven't had the pain for several days now. It was just weird that it felt like that "run-walk stitch-in-your-side" thing! Maybe since things have changed inside there, gas pain feels different?

Hi. I was banded on 5/13 and had the same thing. I learned to kind of push in and hold that area when it was hurting and it seemed to ease the pain. Same thing...a bit below the port area and incision and only when I was standing. I asked my doctor at my post-op appointment and he said it is normal and that some people get it from time to time up to even a year later. Mine has mostly gone away but sometimes it feels a bit uncomfortable if I move a weird way or something. I think it is all due to the fact that they sew the port to your muscle. I wouldn't worry about it too much as it happens to many people from what I understand. If the pain persists badly though I would check with your doctor.

I'm updating on this pain so others that come after us will know what to expect and not get over worried about it. That particular type of pain is gone now for me. I have a NEW pain. I started at a gym and OOOOHHHHHH(!!!) my port area HURT!!! It started with strengths training and then got worse when I did cross training on a cycle. I wasn't even working that long. I talked with my MD. He said -- it's absolutely normal to feel that way because the port was anchored in a muscle wall and now I'm working on tightening that muscle. There's nothing wrong and he told me to keep training. He suggested support for a while---not becasue I had to have it for safety but only to ease the pain until the muscle firmed. I began using an old ace bandage I had around the house and it worked fine -- but after a week I went out and bought a firm cloth belt with Velcro on it to quickly fasten over my mid-section for $10. It works great.

Yes, Molly, I push in on the area to get rid of it too! And its not a really bad pain, but noticable and annoying!

Thanks for everyone's input. I get my first fill in a week and will check in again after talking to my surgeon.

Barb

Hi There- I have been having the same pain-- I had my surgery in 2001, but the pain is getting SIGNIFICANTLY worse and more FREQUENT. The pain feels like a Charley horse on your side (not pleasant) and if I'm standing, walking, running, working out, even having sex the strong cramp/muscle spasm comes and I have to push in and rub it till it goes away.

I had to pull off the road one day when I sneezed because I cramped up so strongly and the pain was so uncomfortable I had to stand on the side of the road and rub it out like a lunatic.

I hate this and wish I never had it done, I need to find a NEW Dr. and have this thing taken out.

I'd rather be fat than in pain.

I'm 6wks post-op and have this pain right now!! It kind of scared me this am because it is radiating around to my back. I'm gassy so I took some Rolaids...and I'm bloated. I got this before when I did my treadmill walking on an incline, which I did yesterday afternoon. This is the worst it's been, so I'm praying it's nothing diff but just overworked port-muscle pains!!

Jerseygirl, you should tell your Dr. That sounds terrible!

I have the pain a lot less now, and it can be on either side, but its not unbearable (pull over your car???!!!), its just annoying mostly.