Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight gain after the surgery...

Hi all,

I had my surgery on May 12th. On the surgery date, I was 208lb. It has been 1 full week and I'm now at 211lbs.

Everyone tells me not to sweat it... but is this normal? I've been walking about 2 hours a day so I want to say that it's muscle gain. I'm still on Protein Shake diet, with about 1 cup of clear broth a day.

I just need someone to tell me that it's okay and yes i will lose the weight... ( A smack on the head might be good also!!)

thanks!

Hi Caligirl! Don't worry so much. A lot depends on so many factors. What kind of post-op diet are you on? If you're on full liquids right from the start, then maybe you're drinking too much or the wrong type of thing. Or you may be retaining Water which will make you heavier. Most of us will gain a pound or two - some even more - when we're allowed to eat again. Just remember, this is all normal and is part of the process. YOU WILL LOSE! Really! I had surgery on 5/9 and have been on Clear Liquids since then. I'm starving, but right now it's like a funnel - liquids run right through. That's the point - so that our tummies aren't working to grind food up. I'm worried about gaining also, because tomorrow I start full liquids. So I'll be going from approx 100 cals a day to between 800 and 1000 (per the doc). So I'll expect to gain a few in the first couple of weeks.

You're going to do fine and all of this is normal. Keep up the good work and the walking!

Barbara

I was banded on May 9th. I, too, have gained a couple pounds (and I am NOT pleased!) I have not been doing any exercise, so I would be inclined to say that yours may very well be muscle gain. I, on the other hand, have been feeling bloated and haven't had a movement in about 18 days. I don't know what is taking place inside right now, but I do know that this weight WILL come off, and I will be fit and oh so sexy! And so will YOU!

Hopefully, others will post to reassure us that we are not abnormal! :biggrin2:

Atallen06, you should be glad to be where you are! Seriously! I've had the "liquids in/liquids out" problem for the last 7 days. I'm soooooo over it!

What kind of diet are you on since surgery? The bloating will be helped if you take gas x - either strips or chewables. It takes a couple of weeks for the body to absorb all the gas they put into us.

I hope all is well for you and that you remember - you will lose the weight! Things like gaining right now are normal!

Barbara

Atallen06, you should be glad to be where you are! Seriously! I've had the "liquids in/liquids out" problem for the last 7 days. I'm soooooo over it!

What kind of diet are you on since surgery? The bloating will be helped if you take gas x - either strips or chewables. It takes a couple of weeks for the body to absorb all the gas they put into us.

I hope all is well for you and that you remember - you will lose the weight! Things like gaining right now are normal!

Barbara

Barbara, I was on clear liquids for two days. Then full liquids for the next 7 days. I am now on mushies for two weeks. I've been eating refried Beans, oatmeal, and Protein Shakes.

My bloated feeling, I think, comes from my Constipation. I did have a problem with gas and bloating the first week, but, thankfully, that has gone away. Thank you GasX!

I am doing well, now that I've started mushies. I thought I was going to eat my arm off last week! I am anxiously awaiting some weight loss action, though! I'm trying to be patient (but it is not my virtue!)

Thanks

Thank you so much ladies!!!

I try not to think about it. My friend said that my body is probably trying to adjust that what it thinks of as "Starvation mode". My doc has me on Protein Shake, so I consumed about 600-700 calories a day.

After a couple of days without any #2 activity, I did try Milk of Magnesia. Well, that produced the "liq in, liq out" effects for 2-3 days. that wasn't fun either....

Thanks for all your support.

Remember the post-op diet is not for losing weight it is for healing! My doctor told me not to worry about gaining weight, because my body would need the extra calories to recover from surgery.

Make sure that you are constantly drinking Water all day long to keep your body from retaining water. (Drinking water is a full time job!) Exercise is a great thing for the heart burn and such, and you are correct you are gaining muscle so that does account for some gain.

Bottom line is don't let some weight gain depress you, because you are doing nothing wrong; it is all par for the course. Do not compare yourself to anyone elses journey, just do what feels right for you. Take care of yourself and focus on recovery-I promise weight loss witll come.

I gained 3 pounds right after surgery and didn't lose them for a few days. And then...BAM....I started losing like mad.

Just hang in there. Follow your doc's instructions to the letter and you'll be fine.

Hi guys!

thanks for all the support. I weigh myself this morning and I lost like 2.5 lbs. all of you guys were right, I think my body was just recuperating and just needed to hold on to the calories a bit longer.

thanks so much for all your kind words!