Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I m very excited to be getting banded on Thursday, may 15. My big fear is that awful feeling right as you wake up after surgery. What were your experiences like? would it be silly to tell dr. about this fear?

Hi Oregonrose,

Yeah, I know what you mean. I was banded one month ago today. I recall getting some Versed (sedative) before they took me to the OR because I was nervous, got that heavy sensation in my chest, and that was the last thing I remember. When I woke up the nurse was saying, "you remember it's over, right" (No, I didn't! :-) Yeah, I was very tired, kept drifting back off to sleep, took a long time to start feeling like I could keep my eyes open, etc. That feeling of intense fatigue -- goes away slowly. That's the part I don't like.

It isn't fun, but then it isn't bad either. They ask about pain and nausea, and were very willing to give me whatever I needed, even if my pain or nausea wasn't very bad. That all lasted a few hours, and then I really felt on the mend. By the evening (my surg time was about 11 am) I was up and able to walk to the BR, etc. By morning, I walked out of the hospital.

By all means, talk to your anesthesiologist! They want you to have a good experience, and will adjust the medications based on your past experience accordingly. Never be afraid to tell the doctors and nurses how you feel!

Best of luck with your surgery!

I had a really good experience. I'm not sure about the "awful feeling" you are talking about but I will describe my experience to you. Right after surgery I remember the nurse kind of prancing about the room talking about how nice it is outside. Still half asleep, I asked her if she was talking to me and she laughed and said yes. She said I was talking to her but I certainly don't remember:) They used a plastic blow up thing that blows out warm heat (I don't know what its called) and it warmed me up right away. I couldn't stop shaking so the nurse put something in my iv to help me stop shivering. Basically they gave me ice chips and told me I could take a shower the same day because they used glue on my incisions. About an hour after I woke up, I was going home. I was given my meds prescription 1 week before surgery so I already had them at home.

Best wishes to you and yours!!!!!!!!!!

I wasn't afraid of the waking up part, I was afraid of the oxygen mask. Talked to the antehsologist. They were so nice. He said he would let me hold the mask so I would be more comfortable. It worked. Next thing I knew I was waking up with no problem, just the nurse talking to me and putting warm blankets on me. I just kept my eyes closed while they took me to my room so I wouldn't get dizzy.

Good luck!

I did wake up in pain, the nurse told me I was complaining, and my husband said I got three doses of whatever they were giving me in my IV, then I had a pain pill (thinking "should I be swallowing a pill?"), probably 10 minutes I was fine. I stayed awake for about a half hour then dozed away most of the morning. i was up walking by 1:00 and home by 4:00. It's all a blur now!

I was most happy about not having any kind of sore throat. My anesthesiologist was a saint!

Good luck to you!

My first thought upon waking up was "Yeah, I'm alive!" I'm sure I'm not the only one who felt that way! My next thought was "I don't have that much pain". Then I thought "Wow, I'm tired". So, as you can see, it wasn't so bad. It was way easier than I had imagined it was going to be.

The waking up part was probably the worst part- but even that wasn't bad.

I remember being very confused and nauseous. They gave me something through the IV and then I felt better. It was just weird drifting in and out of consciousness. The next day one of the nurses who was in recovery with me came to say hi and check to see how I was doing- I had no idea who she was until she told me.

Just be prepared to be out of it for a little bit- and if you have any pain or nausea tell them and they will take care of it.

My first thought upon waking up was "Yeah, I'm alive!" I'm sure I'm not the only one who felt that way! My next thought was "I don't have that much pain". Then I thought "Wow, I'm tired". So, as you can see, it wasn't so bad. It was way easier than I had imagined it was going to be.

Haha, that was pretty much my though process, too. I do remember struggling to keep my eyes open, and really fighting to come out of the anesthesia for a few minutes at first. They had the oxygen mask on me and I remember them saying my name and making small talk. I forced myself to get up and walk to another part of the recovery area, and keep my eyes open, acting more alert than I really was at that point. Because of this (and a fussy nine-month-old in the waiting room), they let me leave earlier than I was expecting.

I had my surgery a week ago today. I was petrified but decided I needed to be as calm as possible. My blood pressure was lower than ever before that whole time! ANyway...I was pleased when the anesth. nurse said I could wear my ipod in to the OR. That was my blessing.

When I woke up they were wheeling me to recovery. My left side really hurt and I remember commenting on it. The hardest part was moving onto the other bed. That hurt a bit..but not earth shattering and not as bad as tooth pain I don't think...I mean it was just a quick..OWWWWWWWW then fine. I drifted in and out of sleep but no crying or nausea or anything like that. A couple hours later I was in my room and having custard. The only hard part was getting out of bed to go to the bathroom. The sitting up part was painful...still is in a small way.

But when I went home the next morning I was functioning fine. I slept a LOT the first three days...

Anyway..don't be scared. If you have an MP3 player..put on your fav music and use that..it took me to a "PEACEFUL PLACE."

Best wishes

CIndi

It took forever to wake up. I don't remember the recovery room at all. I guess my husband and the surgeon were talking to me! I do remember trying to keep my eyes open and not being able to. That was about 3-4 hrs after surgery. Other than that, I actually felt pretty good. I guess the pain meds were working very well on me!

Good luck on the 15th!

Glad to see the positive responses and outcomes. I am being banded on May15th as well, and I am starting to get really nervous. The doctor and the nurse have tried to reassure me, so I am just trying to relax. Thanks for the feedback you all give

Funny story. I had this silly fear that I would be awake and paralized during surgery and nobody would know. Silly I know. But I told my surgeon. He asked me what horror shows I had been watching.

Anyway..the day of suregery I told the anesth nurse...later when the anest. came in he said they were running low on meds so they were going to work quick/. I just gaped..he laughed and said it was a joke!

Then my surgeon came in. He said I was his last operation of the day so he would talk to my mom after and then leave. I teased him about not waiting for me to wake up. Then he said he would have them come and get me as soon as he finished his drink (He was drinking gingerale or soda or womthing. I teased him about having "a drink" and he said..yeah..I always have a gin and tonic before surgery to give me the courage to procede!

It did make everything a lot lighter!

Cindi

when i woke up in the recovery room, i just remember having a hard time breathing the first couple of times i woke up. i could breathe, but deep breaths were hard, and for some reason i kept trying to take deep breaths. and i was unbelievably thirsty. i woke up and fell asleep about 5 or 6 times before i really woke up, and every time, i was incredibly thirsty, and they would give me an ice chip, then i would fall asleep again in relief. once i finally woke up they gave me some Water, and that was better.

My experience was mostly fine - the only problem I had was they were telling me to take deep breaths, but the tube was still in, so I couldn't take a deep breath - that horrible choking feeling. I remember trying to put my hands up to my mouth to pull the tube out. I heard someone say "get that tube out", and after that I was fine.. just like being woken up from a nice sleep really.

I just had my surgery on Monday and I did wake up in pain but it was not unbearable. They will give you pain meds and they help. I think I might be in more pain waking up this morning then right after surgery. I know that I need to go and take a walk because the gas is building up. Good luck to you on your surgery.