Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Banded Since 2003?

Anyone out there that has been banded since 2003? I Iwould be interested in knowing how you are doing? I was one of the first dozen banded by my surgeon 5 years ago an am curious how some oldies feel.

I lost than gained my weight back. Having some complications now that I am checking into. I never felt I could get my fill to where I could eat enough regular food that I felt full for any amount of time. Yes I followed all the rules. I just became frustrated and had my band unfilled a little over a year ago. I so not want to bring anyone down I was just curious if their were many people on here that have had the band for more than 4 years or so. It does not seem like their is and I wonder why. Maybe new people just have more questions. I know what brought me on was complications I am having!

I was banded in Aug. of 2003. I lost 110 pounds, but right now have no Fluid in band due to complications. I am very hungry and eating anything I want. I am scared and ready to tighten back up soon.

Hi-

I was banded in February 2004. It was awesome and I lost 60 pounds. But at the beginning of 2007, I began gaining weight and I could eat more. In March 2007 I was diagnosed with a stretched esophogas and was put on a liquid diet for a while. Things seemed to be OK. But I continued gaining weight.

This week I was diagnosed with a slipped band. This means that there's quite a big pouch above the band. Once I saw it under flouro I thought, "No wonder I'm gaining weight..." My symptoms include acid reflux and ability to eat quite a bit more than before.

In July they're going to do surgery to either reposition the band or remove it. They'll decide how to proceed once they're able to view the band during surgery.

From what I understand there are more complications long-term than originally thought. The reality is that the band is relatively new here in the U.S. There aren't that many of us who are four and five years out. I know the band has been used in other countries for a longer period of time.

If any long time bandsters are experiencing symptoms, please get yourself checked out. The consequences of having a slipped band are potentially significant. I'm grateful to have had mine diagnosed and take comfort in knowing that it will soon be resolved.

Starrgirrl

I have been Banded since July 2003. I have learned so much about myself, and the rules of Banding. I went from 275 lbs to 175lbs. I have been able to maintain, due to my Dr. finally finding my fill sweet spot. Yes, I've experienced, some mild complications, but nothing to make me want to remove my band or make me sorry I had it done.

I had my port replaced to a low profile one. I has also had a a tubing breakage which will be replaced within 2 days. But I am still in love with my BAND:wink2: and the wonderful staff at UTSW & Dr. Mark Watson.

Hi I am Federica writing from Rome. Had a lap band implanted june 2001 everything went right for years (never experienced vomits...everything was smooth and too perfect to be true!).

In 2006 I started to be depressed and ate maybe to much for a month. The result is dilatation of the pouch but completely asymptomatic (I had a bit of reflux that's all).

Will have the band removed next month but I am unhappy. doc says the pouch although I had the band emptied will not regress and he reckon there is not point to replace or reposition the band due to the unsuccessful rates of a second surgery.

I am sad!

Hi I had my band fitted in August 2003 and the first 12 months went by with a loss of over 160lbs and that was without ever having reached my sweet spot. I dieted hard ans exercised even harder....but depression set in bad and having to continually convince my Surgeon that I needed a fill (only ever had 5 in 5 years) just made me worse and I turned to food for comfort.....chocolate being the main culprit.

I have good restriction now (last fill was over 2 years ago) but I am too ashamed to go to my surgeon for help - I have chronic reflux (have to be sick during the night as well as empty my pouch before I go to bed) - you see I have put on about 70lbs and I feel a complete failure. My band hasn't failed, I have and this was my last chance and I blew it.

To add further salt to my wounds, my hubby had a gastric bypass in June 2007 and lost all his excess weight within 8 months and has kept it off no problems and is now waiting to go for his Tummy Tuck.

I have started (yet again) my "diet" yesterday as my band is dying to be put to proper use....so I'll just have to see how far I get with it this time. I have about 90lbs to lose to reach goal (not much when you say it fast) and we have just booked our first holiday away together next year (Oct 2009) without kids or grand kids so it give me a bit of an incentive. I knew the journey was never going to be easy, but I just never expected the weight to go back on as easily as it does.....please please keep chocolate away from me at all costs!!!!

Wish me luck....and for all of you on this journey I wish you all the luck and love in the world as it can certainly be life changing

Hi thanks so much for your reply. I have some good news but first of all I wish you good luck with your diet programme...keep the point and be strong! Now I went to see another surgeon and I have shown him my three xref...he recon the pouch is regressed so surprice surprice I do not have to take the band off and as you may well understand I am very very happy...In seven years i had the band filled just once..but i have found oput that before 2003 they used another kind of band initially it was 9.75cm wide (sorry about the centimeters) but then after 2003 they started to use an 11cm one. they used to fill the 975 with 2,5ml during the surgery and then later on...with the 11cm they initially kept it loose for filling it in different stages. now my type il the 975 so it's basically smaller in diameter and that means less chances to contain the pouch if there...now I have been really lucky although as you I must come back to a diet...but honestly I am so happy that in few months if the pouch will disappear the band can be filled and I could start loosing weight again.....

I hope you will have a nice holiday andd do not worry there's always time to lose weight! when you have a band the most important thing is not to overeat or at least contain quantity...because the dilation pouch is quite a common side effect and can cost you the need to remove the band...

All the best

freddie

Wow... what a depressing string this is. Unfortunately, I'm right there with you. I was banded about 5 years ago and did well for the first year (lost 80 lbs from 283 to 203). Post surgery I started having acid reflux, which was new to me since I never had a problem like that - EVER. After about a year, I had an intestinal blockage and had to have surgery. Nothing worked well since. The acid reflux turned to GERD. My stomach kept swelling with each fill and he filled and unfilled over and over. About 2 years ago, I had the band unfilled because I couldn't take the GERD anymore (waking up with vomit in my mouth, incredible burning of acid in my nose & throat). The reflux settled almost immediate and I've put on 60 lbs (back up to 257). I'm afraid to go back for any type of fill and I also don't want to go back to see my lap doc since I feel like such a loser. I was his patient #3 when he began doing this. I don't feel like I'm maximizing having the band and all the health problems I had before this are slowing returning (problems with knees, etc.). I've made a resolution to go back after Christmas and give it another try, but I'd be lying it I didn't say I wasn't scared. I don't know if we're all exceptions to the rule or if this is what is facing everyone this long into banding..... Nice(?) to know I'm not alone tho.

I am not banded yet but I have four people in my life who have had the band for over five years. All of them have maintained huge weight losses. Two have lost 100 lbs, one has lost 125 lbs and one (who has had her band for 7 years, one of the first in the U.S. to get it) has maintained a 200 pounds weight loss. I am optimistic. :biggrin:

Gentlywind:

Thanks for bringing the optimistic news into this depressing thread.

Sue

Yes, thank you for this positive message. I'm also glad that it's something we're discussing. I've often thought about how few "old timers" there are out there. I would hate to think that the band has a time limit... I know of a few people who've had slippage but have been able to repair the band and move on.

I am going to apologize beforehand to the new bands who find this post depressing. Unfortunately, most people who find themselves getting the band are desperate and optimistic that this is a "cure all" for obsesity. I am living proof that nothing is perfect. I have been banded almost 5 years (Jan 04). I started at 244, lost 80 pds, had a slip with no insurance. Went to Mexico (acuna) to have it fixed ($3000.00). Lost another 10 pds. Now, I cannot hold a fill bigger than 1.0 cc without suffering from horrible reflux during the nite. Its not acid reflux, its saliva, food, liquids, anything I might have swallowed. My doctor takes the Fluid out, I am fine. He puts just alittle in (1.3cc) the other day, and it is back again. I have gained 17 pds back. Essentially, my band is non-funtional. This is a common long term complication with the band. The slips, the reflux, the overfills, the pouch stretching is all reasons people should seriously consider whether or not this is for them. There are very few long term bandsters out there. No one knows what myself, or anyone will be in for long term. I for one, can tell you that if you dont have insurance supporting you long term with this thing, you might want to reconsider. This is a very expensive endeavor to both maintain and repair. I am now having to have a upper GI at the cost of 700.00 to find out why I cannot hold a fill without losing sleep and choking.:biggrin:

I was banded in 2002, and your story could be mine. I feel better knowing I am not the only one. I have a non functioning band for at least 4 years. I guess I should have it out, but I still hope it could be like it was the first few years.

I read that the reflux problem is somewhere around 70% at the five years out mark.

Now what will I do?