Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many lbs. before you noticed a difference?

Hello everyone. I lost 16lbs preop and 11lbs so far post op for a total of 27lbs. My frustation is that I don't see it at all. I look the same, I feel the same and my clothes all fit the same. I was hoping to at least have my jeans be a little loose. How much does it take before I will be able to see a change?

Thanks

Around Month 4 & down approx 40lbs. It was then I was dropping sizes as well - pretty frustrating prior.....but don't get discouraged, it WILL happen.

I haven't been banded yet, but I've lost 25 lbs pre-op. My pants don't really fit better around the waist, but I can tell I've lost it in the Fluid retention - puffiness in face, hands, arms, feet, calves - that's all gone. I'm moving better and even sitting better. Try to find the changes that are happening - even if it's just the fact that you get in and out of the car better!

It'll come. It's just part of the natural progression. I've noticed it's kind of like a watched pot - it never boils. I think if we hoover around the scale and tape measure it just goes painfully slow. Keep at it and you're going to see progress. It'll just be one day you look in the mirror and go, "Whoa. When did that happen!?"

Keep the faith!

I totally hear you. But depending on where you are coming from weight wise. It does take a while. I have lost almost as much as you have and I dont feel any lighter, nothing is looser. Please also keep in mind that the first 20 pounds that one looses are mostly considered Water weight which means you have not really started breaking down what needs to be melted away. So long as the scale says you are going downwards - stay on course - it will show one day.

I have lost less than you and have a much higher starting BMI, but I allready feel and see a difference. My pants look loose and my face and booty :tt2: look smaller. Unfortunately, my boobs look smaller as well. I have a neck again (albeit a small one) and my back doesn't hurt when I do housework and walk the dog. That's as much as I have done since the surgery. I was quite amazed at how much of a difference it made. It's going to be different for everyone. Good luck!!

Wow, do you sound like me and it is frustrating! I was banded March 20th and have lost 27 pounds but can't really tell. What is worse is that the people that know keep looking at me like ...welll??? and asking so how much have you lost??? I am tall and can carry alot of weight so I guess 27 pounds is like nothing to me. I just want to see something!!

I lost about 30 pounds before noticing any difference---however, you may be like me and have worn slacks well beyond their fitting properly! I have dropped about 2-3 pant sizes, depending on brand, but haven't lost but 5 or 6 pounds in the last month. I think your body takes a little bit to catch up, time wise. My body is finally losing that bloated feeling, though not always....sodium laden foods still kill me. Be sure to exercise. This will help tighten things up faster, along with losing weight. I think it took me about 2-3 months before I needed to buy new clothes. (Apparently those 22's I've been wearing all this time were far tighter than I realized!!!)

Good luck. I know it can seem like a long, frustrating path, but it's well worth it in the end. I've found voicing my frustration to my doctor was helpful. Though typically very quiet, he was very supportive when I was disappointed at my last appointment. To be honest, this website has been my saving grace. Keep at it. It's only going to get better! :tt2:

So much of it has to do I think with your shape and your starting weight. I had a very high BMI and a weight higher than yours but I noticed little things immediately. Just things that no one else would notice, like being able to bend down that little bit easier, being able to cross my leg that tiny bit further etc. small things like that. I didn't notice a dramatic difference in clothing until I had dropped about 40lbs then the next 100 just FELL off me and a speedy rate!!!

It's funny now I can walk really fast up a hill and not even be the slightest bit out of breath. My husband just smiles at me and reminds me of how that was an impossibility for me pre band. He remembers the small things that I have somehow forgotten!!

i know what you mean. I was banded on March 3rd. I lost 20 lbs preop and 31 lbs total now. I still feel like Oh my god, I have so much more to lose. I weighed 241.8 when I started and am 210 now. I still feel so fat and yet fell like I've put so much effort into this. I guess I have to accept that it is going to take time to take the weight off. :tt2: I want to start exercising and targeting body parts - like my stomach, butt and thighs. Hopefully that will help with the weight loss.

Take your measurements and take pictures. I found that I didn't really see the difference until I saw some pictures. For some reason a camera showed me things that my mirror didn't :hurt:. Also when you go clothes shopping (or brousing) try on some stuff that is a size smaller then you were or you think you are. You would be surprised at how long we wear our old clothes, thinking they look fine and fit the same, when actually they are probably now fitting the way we had hoped and wished they did!

I still struggle with trying on clothes that are too big for me. I remember when I went shopping for the first time when my regular clothes were getting ridiculous on me, the sales clerk actually had to tell me that I needed to try on smaller sizes :redface:

I had a BMI of 35 when banded, and I had to lose 40lb before anyone really noticed I'd lost weight, and it was more like 60lb before people started really gushing.

I didnt have an obvious problem spot, I'm tall and more pear shaped and people always said "you carry your weight well". Well that kind of applies on the way down, lol, if I was hiding it well, that meant it didnt look that obvious that I was losing it. But once I'd lost about 60, I started getting a shock when I caught sight of myself unexpectedly.

I know what you are going through. I have lost a total of 30 lbs. and haven't noticed a change but my kids say that my butt isn't there anymore. I did notice a little change in my neck, face and arm areas. Take a look at those areas and maybe you can see a change too.

Chilly