Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded March 6th and getting frustrated !!!!HELP!!!!

Hi..... I'm in NYC and was banded March 6th at NYU Medical Center.

The experience was a wonderful one and almost painless.

I lost 27 lbs. from pre-op till my first fill which was April 14th which was a wonderful feeling (had to readjust my car seat to drive). Then lost another 3 lbs when I went to my primary Dr. My problem is and I'm sure this happens to a lot of us .........I guess I thought the weight would just fall off of me and it's not............it's a struggle!!! It's a struggle not to eat when I don't think I'm full and I don't know what I want and I feel like picking and I have to do all I can to control my cravings. I do believe the hunger is in my head and not my body because sometimes I wait for my stomach to growl to test my hunger and it takes much longer than you would think it would.

The thing is that I knew the band was just a tool and we have to do all the work but I didn't think it would be this hard. I also bought a scale for the first time since 1980 and I've become a little obsessed and when I see no loss I get a little depressed. I would love to hear from all of you with some good advice............thanks !!:tt2:

weight.png

Edited by rosiered

Hey I was banded March 3rd and I am having some of the same problems. I have learned the secret to stop picking is to throw what I am not going to eat away immediately. I too, thought it would be easier than it has been but dont give up the weight didnt go on over night. I have learned to set small mile stones and you accomplish them faster. I still think this is a great tool. I just wanted an easy fix and I am having to work at it.

Rosie,

You've lost 30 pounds!!!!!! I'd say that the weight surely IS falling off you! It sounds like you have just had one fill and don't have good restriction yet. That period can be hard, cause you have to rely on will power to stay on the program. Don't weigh yourself so often and concentrate too hard on the numbers. Eat well and excercise and the weight will follow. Once you get another fill no doubt things will get easier. In the meantime, congratulate yourself on 30 pounds gone for good!

I am having the same problems. I knew all along that i had to do the work i just thaught i wouldn't have to do so much work. To help with the head hunger i time when i eat and i am tring not to let me self eat more then every 4 hours when my head gets the best of me I try to have either some fresh fruit or some steamed veggies. Hope this helps O i also just baught some dry roasted nuts to have around 3 when i get really tired they say the nuts help with the hunger and the sleepyness.

Hi, I was banded on March 3rd and am feeling the same way. I've lost 31 lbs from pre-op to date. I just keep thinking oh my god i have so much more to lose and it isn't happening fast enough for me. Just goes to show how much weight i gained - too much. i was 241.8 and am now 210. but i should be approx 145. I am trying very hard to stay positive and eat right. i had my first fill yesterday. I'm eating full liquids for a few days then start soft foods. I wish you all great success. We can do this.:tt2:

can someone tell me how to make a weight loss ticker. thanks

I was banded march 4th. I've lost 25 lbs since surgery - but I'm super happy about the loss. I think this is amazing considering had I not gotten the band I would have lost nothing! I have restriction, I get full after a few bites...however, before restriction I was definitely in the same boat - a bit frustrated...a bit depressed. I think it takes time and effort - the band will not stop me from eating ice cream - but it does motivate me not to!

Thanks everyone for your input. It really helps so much to hear other people who are experiencing or have experienced what I am experiencing.

The main thing is that we all have to "band" together and help each other out thru these rough times.

Once again, thanks and let's help to keep each encouraged.

:redface:

Stay off the scale.....checking your weight everyday will drive you insane.....I was banded March 10th and have only checked my weight twice. I haven't even bought a scale.....But I found a trick to see if i am losing weight. I love the LiveStrong bracelets...(Now they make them for pretty much anything).....Anyway, at my highest weight, the Bracelet was tight on my wrist....Now I wear 2 and they are super loose....It may not help much but it's a sign for me to see that I am losing, even if it doesn't show on the scale. I can even spin my watch on my wrist effortlessly.....

I am in exactly the same situation. Banded March 5, first fill April 11th. I was doing really good right after the fill but with time I am not feeling the restriction I thought I would and I am getting extremely discouraged. I have lost 34 from pre-op til now but was down 38. gained some weight over the weekend. Not sure how to handle it and find myself eating things I shouldn't just because they are there.

Is it common to not feel real restirction for a while? I hope so.Any advice would be appreciated.

Valerie

OK, 30 lbs is awesome esp since I was banded 1/31 and have only lost 26 lbs!!

You have to remember that this isnt as fast as the gastric bypass....it will take time...you can do it!!! Just set aside 1 day a week to weigh and dont weigh before then and only weigh ONE time that day!!! you'll drive yourself u the wall weighing everyday!!! and weigh at the same time during the day!

one thing I have noticed for me is my tastebuds have changed...my fav dessert used to be tiramisu from olive garden...I got one just a few days ago before my recent fill and ate it...it tasted OK...it wasnt great like usual...plus it made me REALLY sick so I dont like tiramisu anymore.......anyhow

Good luck to you but I think 30 lbs is AWESOME!!!

Thank you so much, I feel better knowing that I am not alone and that any progress is still progress. I certainly did not gain it over night so I shouldn't expect to lose it that way. And I agree with the tastebuds changing, I had a sip of Cooke the other day after not having ANY for 9 weeks and I couldn't believe how icky sweet it was. I will now stick to Water, can't believe I used to love that stuff.