Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tell me a story...

I hope you will indulge me here. I am early in my journey. Well, early in the planning/doing portion (I've been in the Thinking portion for a long, long time).

I have sort of read enough message boards and blogs and such to understand how the surgery changes your life in a practical manner... eating and drinking and Protein and small bites and PBs and tightness and exercise and support groups and fills and unfills etc.

I was hoping some of you would be willing to tell me the story of how this changed your life in other ways. Aside from the eating and such, what else is different? Confidence? Abilities to do things you couldn't before? Sex life? Work life?

Tell me a story....

Thanks.

For me, everything has changed...for the better.

1. I can actually PLAY with my son.

2. I have more confidence.

3. I'm physically stronger.

4. I take more pride in my appearance.

5. I LOVE shopping for clothes now!

6. I'm more aggressive with my husband. (wink, wink)

7. I don't focus my life around my next meal. I enjoy my time.

There are others....just getting started.

Good luck on your journey.

It has practically improved every area of my life and I am only half way to goal.

I am totally more confident.

Sex life is better, because I feel better about myself.

I feel like I could go for that next promotion because I don't feel self conscious about being fat.

I can fit in any booth in any restaurant.

I can sit in any chair and not have to worry if it's too weak to hold me.

I can easily fit in a rollercoaster seat.

I guess it has just taken a lot off my mind of worrying about being fat and accomadations for me.

I stopped taking blood pressure medication. I dont' take any meds now.

My overall outlook on life has really improved.

Oh and last week I was at costco and they had pants there that fit me... that is a first!

The list goes on and on and on....

confidence has soared

i had been applying for internal jobs at my company for a good 7-8 months, would get an interview, but no second / offer.. the first job i applied for after i lost about 60 pounds, not only did i get the second interview, i was hired...

i can play with my DD

i RUN!!!!

i can do just about anything without getting winded (sex included)

sex is amazing now (was ok before - now amazing)

my life has completely changed for the better.

Well, I honestly can't think of a better decision that I have made in my entire life. I don't miss eating my HUGE-ANTIC portions and gaining more and more weight.

Being down at 211, there are some benefits from being 300 before. haha. Oh, and I know I'm a guy, so I'm going to try to make the benefits as uni-sex as possible. haha.

More energy

Ability to run WAY longer than before.

Doesn't matter what you are, sex gets better. haha.

My confidence level shot through the roof.

I can shop at Abercrombie and whatever seemingly pretentious store I feel like.

People don't think I'm a pig by looking at an empty plate or three.

*UPDATE*

Ignoring the fact that I have an awesome girlfriend, being glared at now and again by the opposite sex doesn't hurt. haha.

I'll put more as I can think of it. :rolleyes2:

Edited by neveragain

I'm living the life I always wanted to live. It's by my design and not someone else's.

I'm stronger, happier, and more fun to be around. I'm daring and joyous. I've made new friends who do interesting things like bicycling, running, and golfing. I don't sit on the side lines.

There is clarity in my decision making because I don't wring my hands all the time saying, oh dear will I fit, will I eat, will I be included.

I'm full of gratitude for my health and my abilities.

And physically: My daughter wraps her arms all the way around me. I have a lap she can sit on. I can go on and on.

After only 2 months.....

My knees don't hurt anymore

I can work out every day and I don't dread it and feel like I want to die afterwards

I have dropped 4 sizes!

I can run, this one thrills my kids

I can go up the steps and not be winded

I have gotten rid of more than half of my closet

I am LOVIN this LIFE!!!

Best of luck to you in your upcoming journey!!!

I just want to cry for the want of it all, reading your replies.

I want the energy, the libido, the quality of sleep, the knees that don't hurt, the lap for my daughter, the ride in the rollercoaster.

I WANT IT ALL.

Why does it have to be so hard, so time consuming, to get it. My job is so busy, I'm out of town so often, I just keep missing appointments. And I know I'm going to have to go on the wild goose chase to get approved by my insurance. I wish I could just pay someone to do it all for me because I don't know how I'll be able to get it done. But I have to do it now because my current insurance will cover if I meet all their criteria, so there's that, but my company is being acquired and by January I might have all new benefits/insurance.

Thank you all for sharing. You all touched on what I wanted/hoped out of this journey. It makes me more determined to find a way.

I just want to cry for the want of it all, reading your replies.

I want the energy, the libido, the quality of sleep, the knees that don't hurt, the lap for my daughter, the ride in the rollercoaster.

I WANT IT ALL.

be careful though ... the libido does affect the quality of sleep ... :thumbup:

Can you scratch itches you couldn't reach before??? Right now, I have an itch and - dammit - I can't reach it but I just know if I was 150 pounds, I would be able to.

Do bras fit better? Sexy push-up underwire bras - will I once again be able to pick one off the rack and have it look awesome?

When I tie my athletic shoes, will the bows be in the middle instead of all the way over to the side because I had to cross my leg over my knee in order to be able to tie it?

BELTS - will I wear belts? Cute outside of my shirt/top kinds of belts?

Will I be able to put a napkin in my lap and have it catch any food spills - is it possible I will no longer have to worry about the front of my shirt always being the culprit when I am not as careful as I should be at meals?

Hope this isn't being too nosey but I was just wondering who Ambyr is? Hope I didn't hurt your feelings by asking. Tell me how you have been and a little about your story. Thanks!

Cheryl

Can you scratch itches you couldn't reach before??? Right now, I have an itch and - dammit - I can't reach it but I just know if I was 150 pounds, I would be able to.

more than likely, yup ... :thumbup:

Do bras fit better? Sexy push-up underwire bras - will I once again be able to pick one off the rack and have it look awesome?

yes ... yes yes!!! but when you lose the weight the girls tend to go first... Casique (sp???) has great bras that lift what you have ... fabulous (and sexy)... for the first time in my life, i have matching bra / panties!!!

When I tie my athletic shoes, will the bows be in the middle instead of all the way over to the side because I had to cross my leg over my knee in order to be able to tie it?

LMAO ... yup ... and you'll be able to cross your ankle over your thigh to put your socks on! :thumbup:

yup, i even **gasp** tuck my shirt in now.. :thumbup:

Will I be able to put a napkin in my lap and have it catch any food spills - is it possible I will no longer have to worry about the front of my shirt always being the culprit when I am not as careful as I should be at meals?

yeah... although im a klutz and still drop stuff on the girls... :thumbup:

Yes, and has been mentioned (repeatedly I believe) some itches are more fun to scratch!!!!

My bra size has changed---the band size has gone down, the cup size hasn't....but anything and everything fits better now!

Yep and you can bend at the waist and tie those shoes without getting light headed or short of breath!!! You can also do your own pedicures!!!

Many do-----my belly is still in the way---but not for long!!! TT here I come!!!

My napkin now lays nicely in my lap, not tucked under the belly---but no---my boobs still catch anything that drops!!!! Most people own Dust Buster vacuums, I need a Bust Duster.......

My additions to the list of what I can do....

I can ride my horses again.

I can leather up on the motorcycle and not feel like the entire cow.

I no longer obssess over how many pall barers it would take to carry me if I died! I seriously worried over this!

I am thrilled with stepping on the Dr.'s scales. Used to be the nurse had to start the first weight at the 250 mark---now it is the 150 mark!

My grandkids do not recognize old pics of me!!!

I can and do go to public swimming pools with those grandkids.

My belly does not rub the steering wheel!

On New Years Eve, DH and I went out---and at midnight he kissed me and actually swung me around--that was a first EVER!!!! Well....not the kiss....you know!

I actually get hand me down clothes---from others outgrowing them---not me!

This could go on ALL day!!!

I love my life! I love my band!

Kat

It is the best decision I've EVER made in my life.

I have more energy

My knees don't hurt

I can wear heels now and my feet don't kill me

I no longer shop in the "plus size" section of the store

I can buy bras at Victoria's Secret (Did that Saturday) Woo HOO

I take my dog for long walks because I want to

I have more confidence

I work out at the gym and don't worry about what people think

I look better

I am healthier

I don't obsess over food (at least not all the time)

I feel like ME again

Not sure about the sex thing (yet) but I know it will be better :thumbup:

Find a surgeon and they will file the insurance paperwork for you and tell you what you need to do. It is much easier than you think and it is worth it. The frustrating part is finding out what the insurance company requires. It is ridiculous in most cases but it you can do it.

I thought my life would change in that I wouldn't be able to eat out or do a lot because of the band but I can do everything I did before but now it is easier.

Why does it have to be so hard, so time consuming, to get it.

Thank you all for sharing. You all touched on what I wanted/hoped out of this journey. It makes me more determined to find a way.

It is hard because it's designed to be. If it were a fad diet so many people who are not good candidates would get it.

Jumping through hoops is par for the course for many of us. But it is worth it.

Find a way. You will, it's worth it. Make yourself a priority in you life and boom you'll be banded!

Good luck.