Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Crying :( Is Anyone Here Tonight?

Guest BikiniBeachy

Guest BikiniBeachy

I'm sorry...I have no where else to go and no one to talk to. I've just been fanning through all the wonderful before and after pictures and got really emotional about awaiting approval and scared it will never happen and just started to cry. Anyone out there know the feeling, or experiencing this?

Lisa

Yep. The before and after pics got me too. I got all excited and was going to take before pics and post them to only to realize that I'm just starting this process and have no after pics to post. Then freaked out about not EVER having any after pics to post! I'm still going to take before pics. I hope to be banded sometime this year and hopefully I'll have after pics to post at a later date. (NOT posting the befores yet though!)

This whole process seems overwhelming at times. Starting a new diet (insurance requires some WL before surgery) again. Going through the insurance hoops. Do you tell? Or not and who? Making sure you're doing enough research. Making sure your sure! Hoping to be able to do what you need to do before and after surgery in order to have the best possible outcome for yourself. Hoping and praying that NOTHING goes wrong before, during or after surgery. It all gets crazy in your head sometimes. I know I'm obsessing about it but sometimes I think that's okay. Other times, I just can't stand to think any more about it and just want it done and over with.

So, long answer, yes, I know what you're going through!

Try not to cry. Although, it's really okay if you do. Keep coming here to read and post. I've learned a lot here. Take good care of yourself and try to have a good night. I'm off to bed, my toddler will be waking me early! :purplebananna:

Hi there, I also wonder about telling or not telling. I do not think my insurance covers WLS - and wouldnt want to tell anyone at work. Wonder about even telling my family, I havent even talked to my Significant Other yet - still in the researching stage. But I want to also know how soon I can go back to work. I get very little vacation - and would love to be able to have it done on a long weekend and go back to work and do my office job. Is that possible?

I just wanted to chime in and say from someone who is banded, I went through the same thing you all are. I researched this band for 2 years before I decided that it was time to stop wasting my life being obese. Then, once I decided that it was the right thing to do, it seemed like an eternity before it even happened. Even though my insurance covered the procedure, they would only cover it at the hospital I worked for at the time and they were in the process of changing lapband doctors so I had to wait another 4-5 months before I could even talk to the doctor to see if I was a candidate for the surgery. Everyday I would come to this website and look at the before & after pics and it would motivate me to keep going. It is a long road, and not one that can be rushed. I am guessing that is for good reason though to ensure that you don't rush into a surgery w/o considering both the pro's and the cons.

Also, I would recommend taking the before and after pics. They really are motivating, especially when you plateau b/c it shows how far you have really come. I didn't realize how much I tried to avoid the camera when I was obese, not that I jump to have my pic taken now, but atleast I am included in my family's pics now. You'll be glad you did it.

I was an emotional wreck before surgery. Not because I was afraid of surgery, but because i was so tired of being overweight and unable to stop gaining weight. I knew I needed help that something like the band could give me.

I fought with ins for over 6 months, still with no approval and my husband and I agreed we'd self pay for the surgery and then I was banded about a month later. Best decision we made.

I feel better, I look better. I eat well and with the band's help am able to say NO way more often to sweets.

As far as telling people, I did not tell anyone until after the surgery was over. I did not need their advice on if I needed the surgery or not. I don't share the info that I've had the surgery with everyone but with close friends I have.

I guess mine happened so fast I didn't have time to really think about it. My insurance was a piece of cake which surprises me because of all the problems I hear that people have with United Healthcare!

I got my approval quick - scheduled my surgery for like 3 weeks after the approval date. They called me on a Thursday and said they had a cancellation for Tuesday of the following week and did I want it. I figured no sense in prolonging it so I did it. After I said yes I kinda thought to myself "what did I do"? All worked out good and I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Hang in there - all things happen for a reason!

Kel

i just took some "before" shots yesterday. i've been avoiding it like the plague. i had no idea how emotional that was going to be!

it was cathartic, though. needs to be done - everyone should take some! it's an eye-opener, that's for sure....

I was told on March 21st that I would have surgery on March 31st. I was self pay...so it was quick to get everything ready...or so I thought....

That next week was pure hell...trying not to gain any weight and having the "last supper syndrome" and add to it the following:

1. 3/21-sheduled

2. 3/24-rescheduled...different time

3. 3/25-rescheduled...different hospital

4. 3/26-rescheduled...different time

5. 3/26-financing cancelled because "hospital wasn't on approved list"...settled with in a couple hours

6.3/28...literally the day before surgery...it was Friday and surgery was that next Monday...they told me that the amount quoted was incorrect by $3,000 dollars...from $12,150 to $15,150.

and yes...one more...lol

7. 3/28-rescheduled-different time

I was in the classroom when I received this call, #6 on the list, (had the phone with me at all times that week due to all the screw ups)...I started crying in front of my students...pathetic.

So, I left the classroom (thank God I have a student teacher right now). And called and cried on to the phone the WLS center and remembered that anger would solve nothing....

It was all resolved, but it was so stressful.

lisa,

I know exacally how you feel. I havn't been banded yet but i did finally get my date 4/29 last week and that is seriously the first time in months I really really grasped the concept that this is really going to happen for me. even though sitting there looking at the pics makes you want it even more and upset because that isnt you yet. just think in a matter of months hopefully sooner you'll be on your way to an after shot, and that's alot more than some people can say. I've wanted this for so long that it has felt like this process is taking forever but this is nothing i'm just sitting back and waiting now for my new life, the one i will be able to live. so congrats on your decision I hope everything goes fast and smooth for you good luck and keep in touch so we know your progress

Good for you...I did the same thing, researched all of the WLS options and chose Lap Band which is not covered by OHIP (Ontario healthcare), so it was either suffer as is, or pay for it myself, they have fabulous financing options here in Ontario and I just called and did it. I have my surgical consult on April 16/08. Good luck! Cathy

Guest BikiniBeachy

WOW who was your insurance?

So sorry it ended up working like that, hope things go smoothly from here on out!

I waited for 3 months, not on my insurance company, but for a former doctor of mine to send records. Had to call and practically beg them to get off of their hineys and send them since the only requirement from my insurance was to have a 5 year history of morbid obesity. The wait made me second guess my decision, had some major hopelessness going on.

Stay strong and have faith that your approval will happen soon!!

I have told too many people and I am really sorry about it, everyone is an expert. Keep it to those close to you who have your best interest at heart.

I know exactly where you are coming from. The insurance I had wouldn't pay, so I changed to one that did only to find out they wouldn't pay for mine. The next year the one I had started paying, but I missed the open season. So, I went two years waiting for surgery. Finally, I got approved. I was ready mentally before, now I am not, but I went through with it because I was afraid not to. I have only had it about a month and have lost only about 2 lbs.

I told a couple of people and now the whole world knows. Not exactly what I wanted. Like one of you said, everyone is an expert. Not to mention I feel like the world is watching every mouthful I eat. Not helping world!!!!

I refuse to worry about it. I have the band now. It will work more slowly on me due to my lack of cooperation at times, but I feel it will work. The laws of eating say it has to. You eat less and exercise more - you lose weight. I have started exercising, which helps the stress in my life which in turn has to help the over eating.

Chin up. It is a tough process, but I keep telling myself it will be worth it in the end. Even if I only lose 10 lbs a year. That is so much better than gaining 10.