Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling all April 8th Avengers!

Hi April 8th Avengers!

If you have a two week pro-op diet to start, today is the day!

I was not totally prepared for it and it caught me off guard. First day hasn't been to bad so far. I need to go shopping. Yesterday was my education class, it lasted three hours and was very informative. I can't believe how quickly the time has flown and the 8th is almost here. Lets keep in touch so we can support each other.

I'm right there w/ya....it sucks but i dont want to mess anything up and not get banded-----------so I guess we have no choice! Dang it sucks!!! I have been trying different bars some r ok for the first few bites but then I cant seem to get the rest down, but I dont feel hungy when I do....until about 4, then I'm ready to eat the ass end of a cow!:) And i have not had a diet pepsi n about 5 days now, that is a Big deal for me..big head aches today, I'm sure its from no soda and no coffee(I need my french vanilla creamer)....JUST 12 more days...Cindy

I've been supplementing my skim milk with one can of Slim Fast low carb (2 grams carbs, 180 cals, 9 grams fat) and one Slim Fast meal options bar (Peanut Butter,19 grams carbs, 150 cals, 6 grams fat).

They aren't great, but compared to some Protein drinks/bars they aren't too bad, and they make the hunger bearable.

Best of luck to you! The 8th is coming up soon... yeah!!!

hey April 8ers! Carol from Ohio here. Started pre-op diet 3/26. On a low Protein diet due to kidney disease. I was actually looking forward to the Medifast diet that Dr. Curry (Cincinnati) requires of his regular/normal patients. Guess I'm not normal or regular. I get Slim fast, (up to 2 a day) broth, SF Jello, and all the SF liquid I can drink. Finally, just today got clearance from regular doctor--cardiologist tried to throw a wrench in by requiring another pre-op procedure that would cost additional $8K-10K. AND I'M SELF PAY. I was sweating it/freaking out for a couple days. My family doc said it was not needed. YEA. Getting excited. This has been quite a trip. Best of luck to all of you.

Hello All! I know just how u feel Carol I'm self pay also, so just this alone is alot of money, then when they try to slip something else in it must b stressful...(like we aren't stressed enough w/ upcoming surgery). I am just so affraid of getting sick b4, i have 2 school age boys and I am a hairdresser and work w/ public(who always come n sick) it seems everyone around me has the flu or a cold that i dont want or need....today was a much better day on the diet,( it helps when the scale shows 5lbs lighter) that really makes me more motivated....So I think I can, I think I can.....no I will....:thumbup:Cindy

hi CinniMae. Have you thought about wearing a mask? If your clients know you're having surgery I wouldn't think they'd mind. And keep saying I won't get sick... I don't have time to get sick, etc. (to yourself...or out loud, whatever). Being a self pay makes me want it more and in a I don't want to screw up mode. Really I'm just jealous of folks who have insurance coverage ...they are just incredibly lucky. I have insurance that will pay $70k for a cardiac bypass but won't pay $13k for something that would have prevented the cardiac bypass. Go figure. Hang in there and stay in touch.

Hi ladies, Sorry I"m not a self pay, but the insurance makes you jump thru hoops. I had to do a 6 month supervised diet before they would approve. Luckily for me they approved on the first request. Some people are not that lucky and have to wait a lot longer than 6 months.

How is your pre-op diet going? I've lost another 3.5 pounds. The weight just seems to be coming off easily, to bad it never stayed off. I thought I would really be hungry but I'm not. Kinda weird. I guess it sounded worse than it is. Have a great day!

Hi Carol422 it's carol4784 ....I know you had to jump thru hoops....sorry about that...I know it's not been easy. I had a terrific scare ...my cardiologist was insisting that I have another procedure pre-op and it was going to cost me $8-10K, kept reminding their office that ins would not cover so just yesterday my family dr came thru and said it was totally not necessary. I was a complete basket case. My bp was dangerously high and I know it was because of this latest trauma/drama. Now I can breathe....I kinda lost my appetite on Wednesday when all this was going on..I was hoping for something good. I spent a lot of time on the phone with drs. office and insurance co. first saying procedure would be paid for and then oh no....we made a mistake...it won't be covered. Oh, I almost forgot in a year or so the procedure would have had to be undone and that would cost another $5K or so. If I'm gonna spend that much money I'd better be driving something nicer or have something sparkley around my neck...or better yet new furniture. The diet is going ok...i think I've lost 3 lbs. husband 7...but I knew that was going to happen. I think I'll fix some dinner now. haha yummy slim fast, Water. keep in touch.

Well I'm feeling much better this morning i got on the scales and have lost 8.5 lbs so far this week on my LSD, I have done really well, but I did cheat a little last night, But am SOOOOO ready to be on track today....I think the weekend might b a little tough since kids aren't at school and eat typical kids foods....Anyway Carol I have not told most of my client about my surgery only the ones I consider friends, so I just want to keep it quiet until I feel better about saying something, like after I have it done. Mostly because i am going to Mexico and have to listen to everyone freak out about that, I have done my research, LOTS, and ppl really r negative about Mexico and surgery....So until I come back and r doing well then i dont really want to many to know...Cindy

Cindy, that's FANTASTIC.....8.5 lbs. Yea, i get the keeping it hush hush around your clients. I considered Mexico and made inquiries. Everyone would be offering their opinion and you don't need the stress. Then I started figuring in the airfare and the needing to find a dr.in states for fills. Being from Ohio the flights would be too costly. So my Dr. (Curry) charges $12.5K incl 2 years fills. I had to pay a $400 program fee up front. I kinda figured it would probably work out being about the same in the long run. Keep up (or down) the impressive dieting!

Hi ladies, it just seems we all have some kind of struggle to face before having our surgeries.

Carol4784-I'm glad that you do not have any other setbacks and everything is a go.

Cindy-I too can't believe how quickly the weight is coming off. Like you I haven't told a lot of people that I am having this surgery. Everyone knows I've been watching portions and all. My husband, children and two friends know about it. I didn't want negative feedback. When they all start to notice I'm losing a lot of weight then I may say something. So far I haven't lied to anyone...I have told them I see a Dr. once a month to wegh-in. Now I'll be telling them I'm trying another type of weight loss diet. 2 Protein Shakes a day and 4oz Protein and 1/2 c non starchy vegetables.....it really is none of anyone elses business. Until your comfortable talking about it to everyone, then don't tell.

Cori in Wa-how are you doing?

OH MY GOSH---I'm getting sick, I've had a really bad sore throat for 3 days and had to call Dr to start meds...I knew this would happen, sick people all around me... 1 week left so hopefully will be better....on the bright side I'm glad it happened now instead of this weekend:confused2:... So hows everyones diets going? Mine was better today since my throat hurt and I was not hungry at all...but I have lost 10 lbs in 1 week, we deserve a pat on the back for all our hard work....So we will be going to KC Airport on Sunday and after that wont be back until Thursday night late, so I wont be posting til next Friday after this week...I wish u all the best of luck and will have u all in my prayers for a great surgery....Cindy (email me anytime scbryant07@yahoo.com)

Cindy...oh no, I knew you were worried that would happen. Since you're on meds., I'll bet you caught it in time and will do just fine and everything will go on as planned. Wow, 10 lbs. that's GREAT. I don't know how much I've lost because I'm constantly drinking fluids. Probably somewhere around 7-8 lbs. Have a good flight if I don't hear from you before you go ....i know you'll have a lot to do. I'm sure everything will be turn out great. Good luck.

OH MY GOSH---I'm getting sick, I've had a really bad sore throat for 3 days and had to call Dr to start meds...I knew this would happen, sick people all around me... 1 week left so hopefully will be better....on the bright side I'm glad it happened now instead of this weekend:confused2:... So hows everyones diets going? Mine was better today since my throat hurt and I was not hungry at all...but I have lost 10 lbs in 1 week, we deserve a pat on the back for all our hard work....So we will be going to KC Airport on Sunday and after that wont be back until Thursday night late, so I wont be posting til next Friday after this week...I wish u all the best of luck and will have u all in my prayers for a great surgery....Cindy (email me anytime scbryant07@yahoo.com)

I hope your not getting sick, that would really suck. Keep in touch with us and let us know how you are doing. I'm trying very hard to get online more now that our date is getting closer. Good luck, I'll be thinking of you.

Hi Carol ...from Carol. How's the diet coming. I am so hungry most of the time I can hardly stand it. I just want some protein....and I'm limited on that too. Thus, I have been sleeping a lot. I figure if I can't eat, I'll sleep. Not a good plan. And I drink a lot too, Decaf tea and Water. But you know what happens....with so much drinking naps don't last very long if you know what I mean. It's such a nice day I think I'll take Kodi (husky) for a walk. I'm praying Cindy's illness is a short lived event, and the meds. kick in. DH is off working today so I need to get going on data entry (stuff he did yesterday)....then dog walk.