Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Discouraged........what gives

Okay so I am 7 weeks post op- had my first fill a week ago - AND HAVEN'T LOST A POUND IN ALMOST THREE WEEKS....... I'm keeping my calories at 800-1000 -- what gives????? I'm trying so hard to not get discouraged - but the first 13 pounds same off fairly easily (and let me tell you this is pure scale number - I don't SEE this weight loss anywhere on my body)

....NOW WHAT???? :shades_smile:

I'm starting to feel like family and friends that know I had the surgery are starting to look at me and wonder why it's not working... and I can't blame them...IS IT???????

I completely feel your pain!!! It's been 5 weeks since my surgery and I haven't lost a single pound!! I won't be able to get my first fill until next week, even though I called them and asked if I could get it earlier since I could tell a HUGE DIFFERENCE in the amount that I can eat now. Granted, it's not near as much as it was before I had the surgery, but it has changed alot since my swelling has gone down. At least I can say that I haven't gained any weight (to my knowledge anyway)!

I'm thinking this is that bandster hell that I've read about, although I'm not positive!:shades_smile::cursing::teeth_smile:

Are you measuring your food? My doc is a stickler about it and he said if you don't measure you'll slowly start to eat more and more without realizing it. Another important thing is to drink lots of Water.

I have to be honest and say that I don't track my food, but many on here do and swear by it. Maybe that will help you give you a fresh persepective on what your eating.

Meanwhile, call your nutritionist. They should have some really good suggestions for you.

Don't get discouraged. This is a long journey with many ups and downs, but you'll get there.

Hey, CUT YOURSELF SOME SLACK! This is not a magic wave of a wand! LOL. First of all, you have only had one fill! I don't know of anyone who really has restriction after just one or two fills, in general. I agree with the other post about recording calories and measuring food. I have a body bugg and they claim that people underestimate what they eat by as much as 40%! I do it because last year I wasn't doing it, wasn't logging food, etc., and I lost only 26 lbs all year! This year, I'm really committed and the weight is falling off. Do you exercise? That is SO important. It will really help. I exercise 5-6 days a week, but fit in 2-3 and you will see a difference. I don't see how short/tall you are, but I'm 5'8, have been banded 3.5 years, and the rumor is going around my little town that I had "something done" because SUDDENLY I'm SO thin!!! What a riot! SO, I had to lose 125 lbs before "anyone" noticed! It all depends on your body. Take a pix every month and you'll see it in your face among other places. SO, bottom line: give it a chance, give your body a chance to not be freaked out by the change, and kick some booty!!! Good Luck!

Thanks to all for encouragement...

Confession:

I am not MEASURING food precicesly but I am recording what I eat....maybe my guesstimates are way off.... guess I need to buy that battery for the food scale!

I am not working out -- well, I did situps and that sorta thing today - but nothing cardio.... I know I need to do this -- and I will to see if it jump starts something.

I totally undrstand that it will take time... but I just want VISIBLE results - ya know -- good idea about the pictures--also thinking bout taking measurements - I haven't done that either.

I've had one fill - don't go back until May - I do feel somewhat restricted now - but I don't think it's REALLY restricted.... but it's only been a week....UGHHHH....

The above posters are right on.

Take your body measurements too. Sometimes when you aren't losing lbs. you are still losing inches.

I don't lose a lb. a week or whatever, I tend to lose several lbs. at once, but go for a few weeks without losing anything. Taking my measurements has helped to keep from being discouraged. I was so disappointed in my weight loss last month because my scales were just sitting there, but the day before I was to go for my fill I was down 5 lbs.; and by the docs scale the next day I was down 6 lbs. from 4 weeks before.

I tend to hold some Fluid so I think that accounts for not seeing the gradual weekly weight loss.

You cannot know how many calories unless you weigh or measure. A scale, a few measuring cups are all you need. I type in "calories and chicken" in an online search and boom it comes up and I write it down. Are you tracking your Protein as well? Do the same thing, type in "protein in chicken" on a search and write it down.

The more you weigh and measure the better you'll be later at recognizing normal portions.

I never measure any green veggies ( except peas) becasue nobody ever got too fat eating too many green Beans. ( ok unless you add bacon or something) but you see the point.

Okay so I am 7 weeks post op- had my first fill a week ago - AND HAVEN'T LOST A POUND IN ALMOST THREE WEEKS....... I'm keeping my calories at 800-1000 -- what gives????? I'm trying so hard to not get discouraged - but the first 13 pounds same off fairly easily (and let me tell you this is pure scale number - I don't SEE this weight loss anywhere on my body)

....NOW WHAT???? :shades_smile:

I'm starting to feel like family and friends that know I had the surgery are starting to look at me and wonder why it's not working... and I can't blame them...IS IT???????

Please dont fret!! I had my surgery late June last year (2007), I was really disheartened because my loss was so slow!! My start weight was almost 22 stone, I am now down to 15 Stone. It took a number of visits to my surgeon, I now have 5mls in my band and continuing to do well. YOU TOO CAN DO IT, UNFORTUNANELY IT CAN TAKE TIME. Keep going it will fall into place. PS make sure your fills are achieved, I had a few visits where fills were supposedly achieved but were not! sorted now! God Bless. It has been a success for me so far and I hope also for u.

Protien first and foremost. If you are doing 30 min. cardio a day and keeping your calories between 800-1000 you will be losing weight. Eliptical burns 400 cal in 30 min. If you just do 800 and cardio you will definetely jump start yourself, there is no way you can't. Good Luck, you can do it.

Dont stress so much. Heres a couple things you can't base your weight lose off others cause us bigger people will lose fast generally speaking. I didn't lose any weight for like three weeks either I starting going back to the gym and I am losing between 1-2 lbs a day right now. I know it will slow down but while its happing i am happy. So the moral don't stress and start moving.

Please remember that any weight loss before your first fill is a bonus. It takes several fills for most people to get to the right level of restriction. There was a lot of great advice given and all is true. Be patient, follow the rules, weigh and measure your food, drink lots of Water, exercise and the weight will come off.