Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The truth about Margarine!

I think that I will be switching back to butter.

Pass The Butter .... Please .

This is interesting . .. . .

Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back. It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow coloring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavorings

DO YOU KNOW….The difference between margarine and butter?

Read on to the end...gets very interesting!

Both have the same amount of calories.

Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams compared to 5 grams.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.

Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few only because they are added!

Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavors of other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years .

And now, for Margarine..

• Very high in Trans fatty acids .

• Triple risk of coronary heart disease.

• Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)

• Increases the risk of cancers up to five fold.

• Lowers quality of breast milk.

• Decreases immune response.

• Decreases insulin response.

• And here's the most disturbing fact.... HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

• Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC……

This fact alone was enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).

You can try this yourself:

Purchase a tub of margarine and leave it in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will note a couple of things:

No flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)

It does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value ; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not find a home to grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic . Would you melt your tupperware and spread that on your toast?

Share This With Your Friends.....(If you want to 'butter them up')!

Chinese Proverb:

'When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others'.

So..., DO IT !

Finally, someone who gets it. I tell this to people all the time, and for some strange reason they don't want to believe it.

The melting temp of margarine is 104 dergrees, your body is only 98.6, so that trans fatty margarine is floating around in your blood stream coating your artery and even causing your brain to work slow, because the margarine is coating the receptor sites making them fire slower than normal. MARGARINE IS EVIL.

Wow, I find this to be very interesting. Where did you learn this from? What about the spray, "I can't believe it's not butter", because I have been using that?

I rarely touch it anymore ... BUT if I want a smidge on a corner piece of bread (LOL - I use to down a loaf) I use the real stuff = Butter.

My mom was a margarine whore growing up, and I could not stand it - the color alone threw me.

I think that most of the "healthy" alternatives are worse for us in the long run. I've quit artificial sweetners becase it just wasn't making sense to me that a little packet of chemicals was better for my body than a little packet of natural sugar. The margarine is another example. You really need to keep an eye out for processing.

Frankenfoods kinda creep me out anyway.

But Cool Whip is so good....

I found similar information when I had to eliminate dairy from my diet to accommodate my nursing son's milk allergy. I was left feeling there was no other choice when someone recommended Earth Balance (Earth Balance). It's an excellent butter substitute for those who can't (or don't want to) eat butter. After seven years of using it (my second child was allergic, too) I can't stand the taste of butter any more, though what appealed to me initially was that it tasted enough like butter to be a good substitute. Now butter has a strong animal aftertaste to me that I really don't care for. I'm glad I found Earth Balance!