Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you ever worry you'll be ugly afterwards?

This may seem like a strange question, but I've seen this happen enough that it worries me sometimes...a person loses a ton of weight and their face ends up being uglier than before. For those of us that have been overweight our entire lives, we have no idea what our face will look like without the padding.

Do you ever worry that you'll be less attractive after you've lost all the weight than you are now? (Face only--we know our bodies will look better no matter what!)

I'm more concerned about all the loose skin that's going to be hanging around. My arms already look like sagging boobs.

Yeah.

I didn't worry about it.. but now I kinda do. Not enough to stop losing.. but I always had a 'cute button nose'. Now when I see pics of me, I don't recognize myself and I instantly think "what a bulbous nose". DH says it's in my head, but I see it in pics!

I agree with this concern. I see myself in pictures today and I still see the "flat-tire" and arm flap, and the double chin. I weight less now than I did in 6th grade and I still feel fat and flabby. I feel much better, and the response from people is amazing, but the self image thing is much harder to manage than I originally thought!

Some people carry their full face better than others. I don't. I look better already in my face, in my opinion, and I still have a way to go.

Older woman ( like me) can notice more wrinkles and sagging like in the neck and jowls becasue the fat used to puff them out. I'll take that over my fat face anyday.

I had a friend that lost weight and her face looked thinner, but before she lost it if you saw a photo of just her head, you wouldn't know she was overweight. She just didn't carry much weight in her face.

I'll need a face and neck lift after I reach goal, but I needed one before I lost any weight. It's hereditary, my mom, sister and brother all have saggy necks!

At your age, you don;t have to worry as much.

Don't dismiss that you'll be entirely happy with your smaller body. You will, but with weight loss comes sagging skin on thighs, batwings under arms and tummys that can have lots of loose skin. Some areas, clothes will hide, some is harder to hide, like arms when wearing short sleeves.

check out a few plastic surgery web sites with photos, they usually have some bariatric patients. Before and after.

Not trying to discourage you, just a dose of reality. I had a few brief periods of thinness in my life to know what my face might look like, but it's been awhile. LOL

My face wasn't great before surgery, so I never worried that skinnier it would be worse. Plus I wasn't fat my entire life so I knew what I would look like, as long as I could age myself about 8 years. "You can't break broken" kind of thing with my face. :sneaky:

Personally I've never seen someone look worse for having lost weight, aside from older people whose skin is stretched out. And even then it's not worse as in "uglier," but the loose skin flatter anything, especially a face. My grandmother went from being about 100 lbs overweight for as long as I can remember, to now being a normal weight. I didn't see her during this. When I did finally see her again, she looked old overnight. Her loose skin looked like baggy/wrinkly skin, and the "youthful puffiness" her face usually had was gone.

My mom was very thin, so had a thin face and I take after her. Not beautiful, unless she smiled, which she seldom did. I think I've really gotten ugly in my old age. Almost anything will be an improvement, and I love to smile:cool2:.

My bat wings will fly me anywhere. And my tummy hang over will be massive. But my blood pressure is already down some, and my doc has given me med decrease instructions in preparation for more. Better health is on the way.

I'll take it.

carlene

Look at the before and after pictures on here. That should put your mind to rest! Some of the gals were plain before and ended up gorgeous. Every body looks younger and happier. Don't worry. You'll love your new look.

That never worried me. I guess I figured everything will improve with weight loss.

Besides, I never wanted to hear "She's got a pretty face. If she lost some weight, she'd be beautiful" again. I know there was a compliment lingering in there somewhere but it never felt like one, no matter how many times I heard it. If my face ended up ugly, I still wouldn't have to hear that comment again. LOL!

I did think about that the other day when I saw Star Jones on TV. I think she was much prettier when she was heavier. I'd still choose the weight loss though.

I'm down a little over 60 pounds, and since losing weight in my face, I've noticed my TEETH are so much bigger!

My two fronth teeth have always been a bit oversized, but now? My friend is my dentist's assistant, and she said they can fix it for me. Weird, right?

Oh, Jeanie1976 you sure did give me a good laugh for the day. Not to say anything about your teeth being bigger or anything, it was me just looking in the mirror at myself and going..... "Oh my GOSH!! Look at my TEETH, they've gotten huge!!!" That would so crack me up let alone my husband.

I think you should be pretty happy that it can be a quick fix at your dentist office for you. Don't worry, be happy and SMILE!!

Dianne

Libra, I soooo heard the same line when I was in high school waaaaay back in 1973-75. I can remember my English teacher saying that to me to this day. "Oh, you have such a pretty face dear, if only you could lose some weight you would be a very beautiful girl." I about wanted to hall off and punch her right in the nose! Now I am showing signs of getting the under the chin wrinklies. "Oh, I bet you really would have a pretty face under there if you could get a few inches lobed off!" hahaha. I'm sorry, I guess I'm in just one of those kinda moods. :-) I'm not poking fun at those who do have face lifts, because I sure would have one if I could afford it but I cannot. So, my face will just have to "hang" around. Not to mention my, what my daughter calls the extra skin under the arms, "Hi Helens", from the waving motion they can make when swinging your arms. lol ps.... she has them too, that's where the name originated. hehe. She had the gastric bypass a few years ago and looks great. Of course she is young and her skin has much more elasticity, I'm so glad she did this in her younger years.

Okay enough rambling from me.

Dianne

Don't dismiss that you'll be entirely happy with your smaller body. You will, but with weight loss comes sagging skin on thighs, batwings under arms and tummys that can have lots of loose skin. Some areas, clothes will hide, some is harder to hide, like arms when wearing short sleeves.

check out a few plastic surgery web sites with photos, they usually have some bariatric patients. Before and after.

Not trying to discourage you, just a dose of reality. I had a few brief periods of thinness in my life to know what my face might look like, but it's been awhile. LOL

The reason I'll be happy with my body no matter what is that I can always fix that with surgery, and I'll be happier just to be able to fit in regular clothing. I guess I just have no concept of what I'll look like without puffy cheeks. When I was a little lighter (around 300), I like how my pictures looked so I don't know what will happen when I'm below that. My double chin has gone up and down over the years so I can pretty much imagine without that at least.

I agree though, all the B&A pics I've seen on this site have all been for the better, but in magazines and such I've seen people that look worse in the face afterwards, and not always because they were older and the wrinkles come up, etc. Some people get sunken-in cheeks or around the eyes and end up looking like druggies or anorexic, I don't want to look like that.

Truthfully I never really look at my face as being saggy or bad. I do however look at my abs, pouch and legs as they droop. Meeting with plastic surgeon tomorrow.