Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone! I was banded on 1/30/08 by Dr Matthew Brengman in Richmond, Va. I am doing very well, I find out next week when my 1st band fill is! I am down 40 pounds and I feel great.

Has anyone here had any experience with infertility like myself? My surgeon has told me that once I really get down to where I want to be (this won't be for awhile, I want to lost 130 more pounds-I weigh 290 now) that I may surprise myself and get pregnant very quickly. Has anyone had this happen? Just curious!

Ashlee :):lol:

Yeah same here ... I was having some issues with PCOS stuff but come to find out I dont have the PCOS ... Doc said all of my issues with fertility will go away once I lose all this weight. But my period had stopped completely cause of my weight! But I am losing now so doc wants me to think about birth control because he wants me to wait to get preggo. And so do I ... LOL I am not ready for a baby yet but my DH is! LOL I wanna enjoy my new body!!! But I wish you luck girlie! I am sure you wont have a problem once u lose the weight if you dont have any other gynecological issues! Blessings to you APPLES!

I had infertility problems due to weight also. After my first was born in 1999, I spent the next few years packing on about 70 lbs. Of course, I was silly enough to be surprised that I could not get pregnant again. I tried Clomid, hormone shots and all sorts of stuff with no results. While not officially diagnosed with PCOS, I probably had it, because being overweight and having insulin resistance...well that leads to PCOS.

So 4 years ago, I gave up on having more children and went on the South Beach diet to try to deal with the 70 lbs. In a few months I'd lost 30 lbs and was pregnant. So, I am a big believer in weight problems causing infertility.

Of course, instead of keeping off the 30 lbs after my second child was born, I packed on ANOTHER 30. And thus - the lap band.

But good luck - hopefully the band and weight loss will help!

I have PCOS and went thru years and years of fertility treatments, surg, and drugs to get me pg. Finally after 4 years got baby number one then 2 years later my daughter with the same drug. THen I got my band and lost 60 lbs and now I am pg without any fertility meds at all. So yes it may improve your fertility!

The only reason I did have the lapband was to help with the weight and PCOS and pregnancy. I too did the whole works down to IVF. I am hoping now that I am losing that my PCOS will diminish and I can start having regular cycles and ovulating on my own. Which in over two years, I haven't had a period and just got it two days ago and I am loving it. Although I looked like an idiot at the store trying to figure out what to by for pads as its been so long. So hang in there and let your body figure things out.

Thank you for all of your stories. I was dx with PCOS 2 years ago. I had LAPBAND surgery on 2-26-08 and have lost 20 pounds. I just had my FIRST regular period in about 2 years. I will be checking this month to see if I have ovulated.

Ladies there is a sign of hope with infertility. I was overweight with child number one and hadn't had a period in 9 months and got pregnant. My dr said that I may had won the lottery cause my chances of getting pregnant were slim to non cause no period and being overweight. After child number one was born, now 9 we started trying right away 4 years later still nothing started infertilty treatments and still nothing. Then tried IVF and got prego with child number 2, now 5 and spent well over 30K on infertilty treatments. I was banded in Apr 20, 2007 and down 46lbs but still no period since OCT but just found out I am just about 7 weeks pregnant. Which is a huge surprise since we were done and assumed no more kids, even though I always wanted 3. I just thought it hasn't happend in 5 yrs why will it now that im 37. Wow I wish I would have gotten the band back before we spent so much money on infertilty. I've now heard that in Europe they call the band an infertility band due to the fact that so many women get pregnant after losing some weight. I'm hoping not to gain my weight back and after I have the baby I still have about 75lbs to still lose but we are excited for our new little addition. There is hope for everyone.

JillRn,

Curious about which drug you used. I've done it all on the infertility roller coaster for over 4 years now, and I'm taking a break focusing on losing weight.

My husband and I have been trying for 2 years now. Over One year before I got banded. I wasn't very over weight before I got banded just about 40 pounds. I got down to normal bmi within 4 months. I talk to me doctor and he said we can start trying about due to nothing for the year before. I wasn't ovulating before and still am not now. As soon as I get my period again I will start serophene. I am young only 26. I hope that this works. Does anyone have any suggestions for me.:smile2:

I feel like you all are telling my story. I gave birth in 98 and about 4 years ago started trying to get pregnant again. I had trouble from the start. No ovulation. then i had a horrible period for 4 months. then no period at all...tried clomid, progesteron, hormone shots, etc. I haven't had a period since sept. 07 ....i'll be getting banded May 23, 2008 and can't wait! It's funny to say i can't wait to get my period!

I struggled with fertility issues for 6 years and had just resigned to the fact that i would not get pregnant. Seven months and 90lbs. after surgery i found out i was pregnant. My dr. told me i had a good chance of getting pregnant after i lost weight but I didn't believe him. Well looks like he was right.

Banded in 8/07

90lbs. lost 60lbs. to go (kinda on hold with the pregnancy)

Cooz:smile2:

I have been dealing with infertility for 10 years (PCOS, blocked tubes). My main reason for getting the lapband was to be able to be under the 40 BMI to get IVF fertility treatment. I also wanted it to be more successful (lower weight = better chance). Now that I am almost 90 lbs down, I qualify easily for IVF.

The cost is quite expensive and my insurance does not cover IVF. We are going to try IVF # 1 in the late summer/early fall.

We are going to try IVF # 1 in the late summer/early fall.

We are doing a frozen round August 7!! Good luck with your first round. Our first round was 3/04 and DS is now 3 1/2 yrs old :cool2: