Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week post op and still have weird side pain

Hi all -

I'm hoping somebody out there can say "I had that!" and I'll feel better. I'm one week post-op today and have done pretty well. I've obeyed the rules. When I am sitting down or laying down I feel perfectly fine. When I eat or drink I feel a little gassy but that's all. But then when I stand up.... yikes! It's like my body is that of a different person. I get a stabbing pulling pain sensation in my lower right side - sort of right in the area straight to the right of the belly button where the fat folds. :-) There is no incision there, no bruise there, but it is making me nuts. I find myself wanting to walk around stooped over because it seems to pull more when I try to stand up straight.

I go back to the doc on Tuesday so I'm going to ride it out till then, but despite thinking it has to get better, it hasn't. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Lisa D

Pittsburgh, PA

PS - I've learned so much from reading old posts and looking at some of your blogs. Thank you for being here!!!!

Hi Lisa, I cant say i had that feeling in the middle of my tummy below the belly button but, I did have what sounds like similar discomfort and pain just to the left of my belly button...my left side. It almost felt like a string was tied to my skin and a little man was in there pulling on it. It was quite sharp sometimes and I walked around with my hand on that area pushing against my stomach because it helped me feel better while walking. Same thing for me...no bruise in that area or incision but, it was there. All part of the gas they had to put in your abdomen plus all the moving around they do in there to get the band around your stomach. Anyway...it did go away after about 3 weeks for me. It did take time but, it got less and less uncomfortable as the time went by. Good luck and if it's still bothering you alot no harm in calling your doc to make sure everything is ok. That's what they are there for!

Its been 11 days for me since banding and about 3 days ago I started feeling occasional pain in the same spot but on my left side instead of right side. Not always, but enough for me to wonder what it was. I will be asking the doctor if it continues at my next appointment (the end of this month).

Perhaps because of the surgery and the new hardware inside, its pushing something out of its normal spot???

You aren't alone. I am 4 days out and I'm feeling the same way. I've been posting about my experience in my blog (link below) because it helps to write about it. I keep telling everyone it feels like I've been stabbed in the stomach ... port hole stings and feels like there is a pulling going on. Ugh. Wish I could snap my fingers and a week would go by. Ugh - just coughed. Hurts. Owwww!!!!

Hello all, I was banded on the 26th and I'm feeling the same pain. Mine is left of my belly button. All of you describe it perfectly. It makes you want to hold your stomach,. I said something to my doc about it and he didn't act like it was anything.I wish it would go away.

Ja underwood:lol:

I am so glad to hear that some of you are having side pain. My surgery will be three weeks ago on Monday and my left side hurts too. I seem to be OK in the morning but by night I am sore. I keep looking for a bruise or something to show me why my tummy hurts and there is nothing. I guess I am normal. That is good to hear.

I know that this is an older post but I am a week post-op and OMG I am feeling it on my right side. If feels like somethings wants to fall out - I think its due to the gas they use for surgery also. Its comforting to know that the pain will subside but boy does it hurt - Is there nothing I can do to alieviate the pain? I know everyone has mentioned time and if that is all I can do - then that is all I can do. :-)

I have the pain on the left side (surgery was June 10). My doctor said it is from the doctors having to go through muscle with instruments, etc. and it will take time to heal. Most patients complain of it.

I have that exact pain on the left side of my belly button. I am fine laying down, but when I get up, It feels as if someone is pulling on my muscles, or should I say somthing (port). It is so uncomfortable and burns. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to ease the pain, (heat, cold ?). I do push on my stomach when I get up and that seems to help a little bit. I have to go to work on Monday and I am scared I wont be able to sit at my desk all day.