Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Restriction After 1st Fill? Did you?

Hi everyone!

I just had my first fill today. I wasn't nervous but it did hurt more than I expected. The numbing medicine they injected before they did the fill was painful as it burned. After that, it was just a little uncomfortable pressure as the doctor was trying to find the exact spot to inject. Not too bad overall. I was told I didn't have to do liquids but too be very careful about what I ate and eat no more than 2/3 at each meal. I am allowed to drink right up until I eat then I have to wait 45 minutes before I can drink again. I am going to be super careful about what I eat and how I chew since I don't want to get stuck. I am happy that I have lost 16 lbs total and it is such a good feeling. For so long, I felt that I was incapable of losing any weight and would just eat and eat. I guess time will tell if my first fill will restrict me or not. Has anyone been restricted after the first fill? I'm curious but I do know that many people have to have numerous fills until they are restricted. Thanks for all advice!!

Jeni :biggrin:

I had my first fill 3 weeks ago, and I feel very good restriction. As of now, I do not plan on asking for another fill. That is not to say things won't change in a few months, but for now, I am satisfied with my one fill.

I was somewhat restricted when I left the hospital. I only had 1 cc in a 10 cc band, but I couldn not eat what I normally could. When I got my first fill, I didn't notice anything different at all. I'm going in for number 2 tomorrow. I'll let you know how I do.

no restriction here after first fill, looking forward to second one on 3/11. With same Dr., took my girlfriend fill #4 to get to sweet spot.

I have lost 17lbs since surgery on 1/29. had my first fill last week and I have felt no restriction at all. I had some after surgery but nothing now. I am calling today to schedule another fill

I have had four fills and I still do not have good restriction. Restriction is ok but I think it should be better. My doc is not aggressive with fills and it is a little annoying, considering my band holds 4cc of Fluid and I don't even have 2cc's. He did say no one ever gets 4cc's a person wouldn't be able to eat. I've been banded since Oct. and I'd like to not have to go to the doc EVERY month for a fill.

Good Luck to everyone I hope you get the restriction you need in a short period of time.

Yes, but my doc put .5cc in my band during surgery and I only have a 4cc band, so my first "real" fill at 6 weeks worked.

I had a little restriction right after my first fill but nothing now. I go for my second fill 3/17 and can hardly wait. My doc was great with my fill. No numbing shot (I heard that's what hurts) and hit my port on the first try. He's wonderful!!

Hey Jeni,

I was nervous getting my first fill too. In fact, my heart was racing and beating out of my chest! It turned out, I needed more than one. I had my fourth fill last week and FINALLY I am able to feel full after 4-5 oz. of solid food. A couple times, i ate too quickly and had this pain/pressure in my chest like a golf ball was lodged there. I had to focus on relaxing and it went away after a couple minutes. EAT SLOW !!! SLOWWWW!

Good luck!!

278/245/175

10cc band

first fill 2.5cc

sec fill .5

third fill .5

fourth fill .5

Had my second fill yesterday. I have a 10 CC band. Doc put 5 cc in at surgery to test for leaks and left one cc in. I got first fill and he put 3 CCs in. I couldn't tell very much. My tummy would hurt if I ate to much, but I still felt like I was eating to much. He only gave me .5 cc yesterday. That was next to nothing!! I was a little disappointed, but when he put more, I couldn't get Water down so we stuck with the .5 CC. So I'm at 4.5 total. I'm feeling very full on water. I'm still on liquids until tomorrow. Haven't tried solids yet. My tummy aches a little. I guess that could be the swelling from the fill.

I had surgery on Jan 7, 1st fill Feb 7, 2nd fill March 6, I still don't have much restriction. Its weird, I basically eat till I just get tired of eating, I have only eaten to the "feeling full" point twice. I do notice that I have restriction as far as the size of food going through, but still not able to get by on 1/2 a cup to a cup of food. My next fill is April 1st, I think I'll probably get some restriction then!

I actually had restriction without fills. Had a small first fill, but then was back 3 weeks later.

BTW...

The numbing medicine they injected before they did the fill was painful as it burned. After that, it was just a little uncomfortable pressure as the doctor was trying to find the exact spot to inject. Not too bad overall.
Honestly - try your next fill iwthout lidocaine. My first fill hurt a LOT, and I have a high pain tolerance. It was the damn lidocaine shot. I've gone without ever since, and they're a breeze now. I've heard the same from at least 30 ppl here who skipped the lidocaine after reading my (long ago) post about it. And since I told him nolidocaine, my surgeon actually stopped doing it by default. Now he only does it if requested, and last I heard not many were requesting it... most people found it a much more painless, quick process without.