Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking alcohol post op

My question is how long did your surgeon say you had to wait before you could have a drink after surgery? How did you feel when you did drink? (I know a lot of people have less of a tolerance and get tipsy quicker.) I love a nice glass of wine occasionally and I am aware its empty calories, however I am a firm believer enjoying things in moderation. I don't think you should deprive yourself as long as you don't make a habit of it. Id love you guys feedback. Have a good day everyone!

My doctor never addressed the issue. I was banded 2 days before Thanksgiving and of course Christmas was just a month later. The nurse told me it was not a problem to have a glass of wine or 2 as long as I did not over do it. She even asked me when I came in for my first fill the week after Christmas if I enjoyed myself and had a little alcohol and I told her I did and she said she was glad I enjoyed myself. I have a couple of glasses of wine on the weekends and it I haven't had a problem. The key is not to drink to much so you don't get sick. It hasn't affected my weight loss. I actually tend to eat less after I've had wine. food actually goes down a little better too. Keep in my mind it doesn't take much to get a buzz when you're eating so little. I always drink a big glass of Water between glasses too so I have time to evaluate how I feel and make sure I don't drink too much.

It is a personal choice and I decided that since I enjoy it on the weekends I am not going to give it up. The only change is that I can't drink beer. :thumbup: Beer was always my drink of choice but now I have wine which I also enjoy. :crying:

I've had one glass and a few sips of wine since being banded. While I'm in the active weight loss phase, I prefer not to "drink" my calories.

It's kind of like the reason we all used to drink diet soda, so we could save the calories for food.

As I get closer to goal, I'll endulge more often, but still in moderation and like Skinny Jill, I drink Water in between my wine. It makes the wine last longer.

Fortunately I never liked beer so that's not an issue and I gave up carbonated beverages a long time ago.

I with Jill - I do enjoy wine and have been since about 2 months post op. I did just return from a vacation in Mexico where I did indulge in margaritas which were wonderful. I probably went overboard at times, but never anywhere close to getting sick.

I am also a beer lover but due to carbonation have not tried it (and probably wont).

I was banded in July 07. My Dr. never said anything about drinking. I have told them that sometimes after a long difficult day I will drink dinner instead of eating.

My problem is I like to drink and eat. So on a rare occasion I have just cut out the eating part.

My Dr. does not have a problem with it, he just shakes his head at me and comments that I am still losing, so something must be right.

I tell the Dr. it is his fault since he did tell me to not drink anything for an hour after eating. If you don't eat then just drink.

Have a great one.

Cathy

Do you drink a certain type of wine?? The only kind I have found so far that I enjoy is a sweet riesling, and I know sweet won't necessarily be good after surgery. I am 23 years old and not ready to entirely cut drinking out, but I would like to be able to do it right.

This was one of my first questions for the doctor (probably sounds really bad, lol). He said that there really shouldn't be a problem and he said that I might just get full faster with drinking banded than I do now.

Has anyone gotten past the "buzz" stage and actually gotten drunk while banded? Like with rum/vodka/tequila etc. (I don't drink beer or wine). I don't drink all the time but I do enjoy doing shots once in awhile and am just curious about it. I know health comes first and losing weight is 1000x better than drinking buttttttt I still want to know if I can occasionally get drunk here and there.

I have never been much of a drinker, usually only drinking a couple times a year, but have never been a beer or wine drinker. I drink vodka drinks, like Komokozi's or Bloody Mary's, and a shot or 2 of Pucker once in awhile. I actually drink more now, after surgery. I didn't drink until at least 2 or 3 months post op, but since my very first fill I have had trouble keeping food down. Not all the time, but a lot. By having a drink here and there by the pool this summer after my brother moved close to me, I discovered it actually if I have a drink before dinner, it relaxes me or my stomach or both enough for me to enjoy my dinner. I know it sounds weird, but it is definate, I have tested it out many times. I am not recommending this or anything, but it works for me. I dont do it every night or anything, but a coulple times a week I have a Bloody Mary before dinner and I have gone out and gotten quite buzzed. I have never really been one to vomit after drinking, but I usually drink in moderation too. Hope this helps, and please let me know if anyone else has discovered or experienced anything llike this.

My wife was beside herself with joy when she thought I would have to quit drinking beer.She even mentioned it in front of the doctor."well,I guess now you will have to quit drinking beer."The doctor looked at her and said"Why,as long as he drinks light beer hes only getting 100 cals.and 5gr carbs. so,dont have that 400 cal.hamburger and you can have 4 beers."Ruined her whole day.

hi

i got banded nov 7 and i just drank about 6 beer on sat about 3 weeks later and i was fine but drunk. I asked my dr and he just said to pour your beer into a glass and let it sit for a few minutes. He also said he drinks beer and he has been banded too. I found caesars were too heavy, I drank 2 and I was super full. Beer was fine and i must say really tasty!

:rolleyes:

I don't know about other people but since I have been banded I seem to get drunk faster than before. My drinking habits have not really changed since I have gotten my band except that if I have a big meal (in band world like 1 cup) I can't fit any alcohol or anything for a while. If I chose to drink I normally stay away from beer bc it fills you up really fast. I can have a beer or two before dinner but defiantly not after dinner. I normally stick to vodka cranberry they are a drink that you can order from any bar that doesn't have much carbonation so they don't fill you up. I normally drink modestly but sometimes you just gotta let loose. I have drank too much with the band and have thrown up but it hasn't messed anything up. I talked to my dr about it and he said that as long as you are not puking everyday your band should be alright. My drinking hasn't really effected my weight loss either. 82lbs down in 8 months!

Budlight was my drink of choice before the band (I was in college!), but like many others, I feel very full after having one and hate the feeling. When I do drink, I've switched to diet sprite and crown royal or cherry vodka sours. There's pretty much no limit to how many you can drink of either of these. I can tolerate soft drink carbonation fine, just not beer carbonation. I was used to drinking on an empty stomach before the band so I don't seem to get any drunker now with the band. However, I usually try to stick to only 3-4 drinks because the next day is hell. My band gets extremely tight the following day and it makes it nearly impossible to eat anything which is why I very seldom drink anymore.

However, my boyfriend who is banded can drink a 12 pack of miller light and be fine the next day! That's a TON of empty calories so he definitely doesn't do that often. It just affects everyone differently.

My wife was beside herself with joy when she thought I would have to quit drinking beer.She even mentioned it in front of the doctor."well,I guess now you will have to quit drinking beer."The doctor looked at her and said"Why,as long as he drinks light beer hes only getting 100 cals.and 5gr carbs. so,dont have that 400 cal.hamburger and you can have 4 beers."Ruined her whole day.
I also use to love a good Budweiser but haven't had one since I got banded, not so much to do with the cals but the carbination so when ever that blue moon appears I will have a couple of vodka and cranbarry or a bloody mary. once in a while I think is ok but get past the healing stage first.

I have always loved to drink, however took it a step too far. I discovered if I drank vodka and cranberry it went down real good and I was not hungry. I did this for a couple months eating as little food as possible. I lost 8 lbs but wound up in hospital. To make a long story short be very careful with alcohol it is cunning, baffeling and powerful.:wink2:

My husband and I are avid wine drinkers- we have about 4 cases from different wineries up and down the east coast in our basement- but I've given up on it, at least temporarily, until I'm well past the healing stage and my weight loss is well underway. Even then, I'm going to try it at home first, so if I have some kind of unexpected reaction, it won't be out in public.

Christine