Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Which would you choose?

Been thinknig about a new tread or a total gym.

We had a tread that broke a long time ago.

DH gave me the green light to get one or the other.

In looking at the total gym I am liking what I see.

Anyone have one?

What do you think of it?

Thanks in advance.

I have a total gym that I don't use very much. I am really wanting a treadmill. I think both aerobic and strength training are important, but I have found that lots of aerobic really helps me drop the pounds. Now I jsut have to figure out how I can buy a treadmill??????

Although if I COULD I would opt for a more expensive tread I am leary because I am so much BIGGER now and don't want to break an expensive one.

That said, this last week or so I saw treads on both QVC and HSN. One had a slightly better HP motor. Both offer in home delivery.

They both had payment plans and one had NO shipping costs.

What I like about the home channels are their guarantees.

If I see something I like then see it on there I will get it fom one of them.....only for the 30 day guarantee.

I loved using the tread but at over 40 I figure I would do better incororating weight training with cardio.

On the infomercials "Chuck" shows how aerobic one of the tg circuits can be AND you are building muscle. I would be getting the TG at the website though. Been told that the flimsier models are from the infomercial. Again, don't want to invest $$ in something that will just break.

Can't make up my mind. I KNOW I can get good and sweaty on the tread. It's the boredom and lack of muscle building that s making me waffle on this one.

The total gym will give you what you want, a mix of strength and cardio at the same time....that being said, you can get the same thing out of the treadmill. You could get a pair of light handweights and do curls etc while you're walking. I just bought some resistance bands and you could definatley do that and some cardio at the same time. Lunges, pushups, and pullups can all be done on the treadmill. If you get a chance watch an episode of the biggest loser, even if you can't stand that type of programming, you may notice that the trainers make the contestants do some pretty neat things with the treadmill that have nothing to do with walking and running.

Also, in my opinion, once you start dropping the weight and get really good at walking, you can slowly introduce running, which is a complete total body workout that builds muscle and gives you a complete cardio workout.

You could go both ways with this one, if it were me though, I'd invest in the treadmill.

I bought a total gym for my hubby, and I also have an elepitcal. In my own opinion I would go for the tread mill. Like others have said, you can add things in with that. The total gym is basically strength training, no cardio. Mine hasn't been used it about 3 years. It is also a pain because you have to adjust it all the time depending on what workouts you want to do. I wouldn't spend the money on it. Unless of course you want to buy mine. LOL!

I would say go for the treadmill. I just got rid of my total gym, neither dh or I was using it.

I bought a treadmill at Sears about a year ago and just started loving it. I also have a stationary recumbant bike, made by Schwin, and it's 2 years old and still wonderful. On Monday I bought a mini-stepper from Walmart for $39 and am hooked on it, however it does require balance.

I'm not sure what your weight is, but my biggest concern personally ahs always been the weight limit on machines. DH and I had it out a year ago when we were treadmill shopping. At the time I was 350 so we had to buy a better (more $$$) treadmill due to my weight, and then I didn't use it a whole lot at first. My sons have a small trampoline with a 250 weight limit, can't wait to jump on that.

I own a TOTAL GYM XLT. It is great. I also work out in the gym at time for the treadmill and glider. I get a great cardio workout on the total gym. The one I got has over 80 exercises and a pilates DVD. I LOVE IT. I don't need a babysitter for my daughter or worry if the gym has childcare. I don't need to wait for DH to come home.

You can get the total gym for $1.00 and broken over monthly payments at Total Gym® - Official Store - Endorsed by Chuck Norris . That's where I got mine. Again, Love IT!

You need both. The treadmill for your heart and lungs, the total gym for your muscle strength. I have the total gym and love it, but you gotta get that heart beat up too.

Here's my suggestion: if you have a gym (YMCA or whatever) near you, why not see if you can sign up for a month.

If so, you can try both, weight training as in the Total Gym, and the treadmill and decide which one you enjoy more before you buy!

I've belonged to Curves for five years but continue to go just for the aerobic activity I get there--I also belong to the YMCA, where I get my weight program in twice a week--

Good luck in making this great decision for yourself! :eek:

Soozan,

I like to refer to my fitness equipment as fitness art, because I purchased each piece with the well meaning of using it, only to sit and look at it as I considered the possibilities.

If you have bad knees or are older or both with a high BMI, you might not want to try out an eliptical several times before purchasing. The total gym (sorry if this hurts anyones feelings) is gimmicky, a pain to adjust, is a bit heavy when lifting to adjust. The treadmills are GREAT, especially if you put infront of the TV and let it rip with your favorite show on. Of course a good walk out in the fresh air doesn't cost anything. If you are going to get a treadmill, get a really good one, not a PROFORM or something like that. Look at the weight capacity on any machine you are thinking about getting.

Look on craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums for someone selling their fitness art in your area. I have purchased and sold enough equipment on craigslist that I am sure I could have outfitted an entire gym. I purchased this really nice two station weight lifting system for my husband for only $150.00. There is a little hassle with the pick up and put together stuff, but brand new the system was $1800.00.

Make 33 is right too. A good approach is to join a local gym for about a month or a pay as you go place so that you can use all of the machines to decide which you like best.

Hmmmm, I'd buy the treadmill I think. If you have to choose one or other form of exercise, then I think when you want fat loss, cardio has to be a consideration. YOu can do pushups, tricep dips, lunges and squats with very minimal equipment. I find I can get a very effective total body workout at home by using the treadmill, a barbell and various handweights.

And I firmly believe that you get a better, more functional workout with handweights as opposed to machines becuase you use all the synergistic muscles for stability. I dont think machines are really the way to go for weight training.

Just my 2c though.

I absolutely feel my port when I do sit-ups--in fact, my surgeon has me propped up that way when I get my fills!!!

I feel my port very very much when I do the Leg Press too and at first, actually thought my port was a hernia!! I guess we must use our abdominals with that, too! :)