Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This liquid diet is...not easy!

Posted (edited)

So i started my liquid diet on jan 4th my surgery is on jan 18th. The night before i had my last meal ( i wont even say what it was or your stomach would flip ) then day 1 in the morning wasnt as bad because of the night before. But man nighttime on day 1 the headache hit i felt weak im watching the clock like im back in school waiting for the bell to ring lol. Day 2 in the morning i wanted to give up, i thought i am insane for doing this to myself but i found the will power to push through it. Now its day 5 and its really amazing the difference from day 1-2 to now. Is it still hard yes, but only when i see and/or smell real food which is daily i have kids lol. Im on a 2 week liquid diet im allowed 5 shakes a day with Water, broth, Jello ( their were other options but those work for me best) in between the shakes. This is literally the longest 2 weeks of my life lol. Anyway just wanted to share my journey so far im also new to the board, oh and im getting the sleeve in case i forgot to say! So far ive lost 10 pounds on this liquid diet which i know is probably water weight but im already feeling lighter. Anyone else on the liquid diet who wants to share their experiences?

Edited by Raevor85

59 minutes ago, Raevor85 said:

So i started my liquid diet on jan 4th my surgery is on jan 18th. The night before i had my last meal ( i wont even say what it was or your stomach would flip ) then day 1 in the morning wasnt as bad because of the night before. But man nighttime on day 1 the headache hit i felt weak im watching the clock like im back in school waiting for the bell to ring lol. Day 2 in the morning i wanted to give up, i thought i am insane for doing this to myself but i found the will power to push through it. Now its day 5 and its really amazing the difference from day 1-2 to now. Is it still hard yes, but only when i see and/or smell real food which is daily i have kids lol. Im on a 2 week liquid diet im allowed 5 shakes a day with Water, broth, Jello ( their were other options but those work for me best) in between the shakes. This is literally the longest 2 weeks of my life lol. Anyway just wanted to share my journey so far im also new to the board, oh and im getting the sleeve in case i forgot to say! So far ive lost 10 pounds on this liquid diet which i know is probably Water weight but im already feeling lighter. Anyone else on the liquid diet who wants to share their experiences?

I guess we're buddies also having surgery on January 18th and on liquid diet now. I only lost about 3 lb I'm a little disappointed cuz it's really hard not to eat and then see the scale just the same as the day before

59 minutes ago, Raevor85 said:

So i started my liquid diet on jan 4th my surgery is on jan 18th. The night before i had my last meal ( i wont even say what it was or your stomach would flip ) then day 1 in the morning wasnt as bad because of the night before. But man nighttime on day 1 the headache hit i felt weak im watching the clock like im back in school waiting for the bell to ring lol. Day 2 in the morning i wanted to give up, i thought i am insane for doing this to myself but i found the will power to push through it. Now its day 5 and its really amazing the difference from day 1-2 to now. Is it still hard yes, but only when i see and/or smell real food which is daily i have kids lol. Im on a 2 week liquid diet im allowed 5 shakes a day with Water, broth, Jello ( their were other options but those work for me best) in between the shakes. This is literally the longest 2 weeks of my life lol. Anyway just wanted to share my journey so far im also new to the board, oh and im getting the sleeve in case i forgot to say! So far ive lost 10 pounds on this liquid diet which i know is probably Water weight but im already feeling lighter. Anyone else on the liquid diet who wants to share their experiences?

I guess we're buddies also having surgery on January 18th and on liquid diet now. I only lost about 3 lb I'm a little disappointed cuz it's really hard not to eat and then see the scale just the same as the day before

1 hour ago, AreF said:

I wouldnt even worry about it honestly ive read the amount of pounds you lose varies person to person. The most important thing is you are losing something and thats what our surgeon will be looking for aswell ( at least thats what my dietitian told me ). To be able to do this liquid diet at all is a test to ones strength because maaaannnnn there are time when i am tested thats for sure LOL.

I started the same liquid diet on Dec 20th, surgery on the 3rd. I was down almost 4 pounds on day 2, then no change for a few days. In total I lost 9 pounds on the liquid diet, but I had already lost 26 pounds over the 3 months prior. I've seen some people lose 2 pounds or more, some only 2 or 3. That doesn't seem to speak to a person's overall success though I'm sure it's frustrating for those that don't see a real change.

I weigh myself daily because my weight fluctuates so wildly really, it's better for me. But I'm able to just look at the weekly averages and feel good about it. For most people it's better to only weigh once a week or less.

I get where you are coming from. I'm on day 10 of the two week liquid (surgery on 1/15/24). I got super depressed for a while so I made myself go to the gym and do walking around days 4 or 5. Right now I walk about an hour at a quick pace to just distract myself. Allowed 4 Protein Shakes a day, sugar free Jello and Gatorade Zero in between (others on the list but I wasn't interested).

Started this on January 1st and so far I've lost 21lbs. But I'm going crazy when my husband makes food or tells me what he's doing for supper.

Hang in there.

I started mine yesterday. Thank you for mentioning the headaches. I couldn’t figure out where they were coming from.

5 hours ago, ToMiSu said:

I started mine yesterday. Thank you for mentioning the headaches. I couldn’t figure out where they were coming from.

Try an electrolyte powder in your Water. It is common for the liquid diets to trigger "keto flu" from the lack of minerals and nutrients compared to a normal diet. I found a packet of electrolytes a day really helped keep my energy up and the muscle cramps and headaches at bay. Good luck! ❤️

I am nervous about starting the liquid diet before surgery!

I already get such bad headaches, light-headedness, nausea & hunger pains when I haven't eaten for the better part of a day! I think it probably has a lot to do with my hormonal imbalance too, but yeah, very apprehensive!

37 minutes ago, FreeingMe said:

I am nervous about starting the liquid diet before surgery!

I already get bad headaches, light-headedness, nausea & hunger pains when I haven't eaten for the better part of a day! I think it probably has a lot to do with my hormonal imbalance too, but yeah, very apprehensive!

I was very nervous for the same reasons. I started a modified bariatric diet a few months before surgery as part of the preparation, also stopped any caffeine or sugar. I have gastroparesis so eating before strenuous activity is never a good idea for me but I would feel so nauseous and lightheaded. After I started the bariatric diet I realized that even if I was hungry when I started my lap swim, I could still do a normal work out and feel good. The diet allowed me to maintain a consistent level of energy that I had never experienced before in my life. The 2 week liquid diet was not my favorite, days 2 and 3 were the worst for me, day 4 was better until the day of surgery. I didn't like it, but I still was able to exercise daily. I had one episode of woozy..reviewed with my nutritionist and found I was not getting enough sodium, added a daily broth and that took care of it. I know we're all different but this may be same for you and if it is, I'll be happy for you. I feel so much more free now. I don't have to worry about scheduling activities around food/hunger/etc anymore. I can plan my eating around my activities, if that makes sense?

20 minutes ago, Lily2024 said:

I was very nervous for the same reasons. I started a modified bariatric diet a few months before surgery as part of the preparation, also stopped any caffeine or sugar. I have gastroparesis so eating before strenuous activity is never a good idea for me but I would feel so nauseous and lightheaded. After I started the bariatric diet I realized that even if I was hungry when I started my lap swim, I could still do a normal work out and feel good. The diet allowed me to maintain a consistent level of energy that I had never experienced before in my life. The 2 week liquid diet was not my favorite, days 2 and 3 were the worst for me, day 4 was better until the day of surgery. I didn't like it, but I still was able to exercise daily. I had one episode of woozy..reviewed with my nutritionist and found I was not getting enough sodium, added a daily broth and that took care of it. I know we're all different but this may be same for you and if it is, I'll be happy for you. I feel so much more free now. I don't have to worry about scheduling activities around food/hunger/etc anymore. I can plan my eating around my activities, if that makes sense?

That makes a lot of sense! Thank you for your reply :)

I have suffered with nausea for such a long time now and if I work out when I haven't eaten enough I have been physically sick in the past!

It has been good to read your experience with it though, and I am so happy that it has worked for you.

I am beyond excited for my chance!

Thank everyone for posting their experiences keep them coming it really does help to get it out there sometimes! Thank fully i only dealt with the headaches for days 1-2 then poof! I usually get Migraines very easy so I thought initially i was going to be in hell for this diet but i guess because everything is balanced? My body is handling it well. I am officially 1 week away today and omg i am so tired of this lol. Ive been getting a sore throat since i started this thread ( may be totally unrelated but thought id mention it ). I miss food like i mean real food ( not processed things etc ) im actually looking forward to the moment im on mushed food after surgery lol i will treat that baby food like gold! The one thing that is saving me is the broth goodness just having that bit of flavor is a like saver, plus i was a Soup person before this so seeing broth on the list was a gift. I made one of my sons ramen and another a grilled cheese yesterday let me tell you my stomach did flips i literally ran from the them after i sat their food on the table! Thankfully feeding my 1 year old is easier when shes eating baby food, i dont have to worry about the aromas etc. But when she eats food food her dad has to do it. Its one thing to make the food which is getting harder for me. But to sit there and handle it watching someone else eat it noooo buddy i cant do it at this stage.

So im getting ready for bed but thought id post this really fast. I made my boys some frozen pizza and i swear putting it in the oven zero effect. When it was done and i had to cut it up for them my whole WORLD turned upside down. I think that moment was the biggest temptation throughout this liquid diet at this point. I am seriously counting the minutes until the 18th! 6 more days please hurry up LOL

I’m glad you posted this, I had a few moments like this when I was just angry about having to go through all of this. I still have my moments but I think now it’s more related to being angry with my body, having to go through all of this because my body and brain don’t want to work together to keep me well. At those times I indulged myself, allowed myself to just feel it for a few moments, however long it took to let some of it dissipate, then go through my inner dialogue. Can I stand it? Yes. Will I be damaged by it? No. Am I sad and feeling sorry for myself? Yes. Is it valid? Yes. Can I distract myself?