Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 3 weeks PO and gaining?

I had vsg surgery on 12/19/23 I lost about 12lbs during the first week and a half but since week two hit I've been seeing the scale not move at all, my inches on my waist was going down so I was to upset. Then I had my post op visit with my surgeon and He told me that I wasn't eating enough, He said that I was losing too much weight and I had told him that the scale hasn't even moved for the past week. But he expected me to hit about 1200 calories a day where I've been eating me 400 or 500. He had said that I should add a couple of Snacks in to my meals throughout the day. So three meals a day plus two snacks at least. And it's been a struggle but I've done that and I've been eating around 800 calories a day. Maybe 9:00 but now I'm gaining weight so I'm just unsure of what to do. Should I keep going at this? 800 calorie 900 trying to achieve 1200 so soon after surgery or should I just stick with my four or 500? It seems like so much food for 3 weeks post-op. Also, just so it's clear, I'm pretty much clearer to eat anything I want now just to use discretion when choosing my foods. I am hitting All of my Protein and Water goals. But I was before when I was getting 400 calories or 500 a day.

Posted (edited)

sounds like the infamous "three-week stall" that most of us experience (our first major stall - and the first of what could be many). Best way to deal with it is to stick to your clinic's eating plan and stay off the scale. Stalls usually last 1-3 weeks. They're aggravating, but they're a normal part of weight loss. It's just your body stopping to recalibrate once in awhile.

1200 calories seems like a lot for being so early out - I didn't hit that until I was more like a year out - but your surgeon may have his reasons for that, and I'm no medical professional.

if you want to learn more about the stall, there are literally over 17,000 posts on it on this site. Just do a search on "three week stall". I am NOT kidding about the 17,000+ posts. It happens to almost everyone.

Edited by catwoman7

I had my gastric sleeve done in 2018, so have a few years experience. I couldn't eat anything for at least 4 weeks post op, and then it was a tiny teaspoon of mush at each meal. It took me hours to get through a Protein Shake of 300ml. By the time I finished the Breakfast one, it was time to start the lunchtime one! And so on to dinner...

1200 calories seems huge to me at 3 weeks. I was struggling to drink enough Water at that point. My tummy was so tiny. Even if I drank too much water, I would vomit, because my stomach was too small to cope. I still suffer that vomiting if I am too ambitious with my portions.

I wouldn't be able to even get through 1200 cal now, unless maybe I went on a strict no carb, high Protein plan. Even then it would be a struggle. High protein foods are SO filling. I love fish and seafood, but I can hardly eat 2 tbs of grilled salmon at a meal even 6 years out.

I lost 90 pounds in 6 months, luckily no skin looseness... very fortunate. I have slowed my weight loss and then plateaued at 120 lbs loss.

If I was you, I would go back to your Protein Drinks, and go from there.

Definitely sounds like a stall. Some people don't gain during the stall, they just sit at their current weight during it. Me? I gain. And by gain, I mean anywhere from 3-5 pounds. It's infuriating. Then I lose and gain the same 2-3 pounds over and over until one day I get on the scale and see that I lost 5-6 pounds. That's when I know the stall broke. It's going to happen, a lot. So start focusing on your NSVs (Non Scale Victories). Those tell the story of what your body is actually doing better than the scale can.

Get off your scale. Follow your plan.

If you follow your plan you will lose weight and you will succeed. You don't need a scale to succeed.

But because of a number on a scale you are asking if you should change your plan. This is how scales can screw you up. There is more happening in your body than what you eat. You just had surgery with all sorts of fluids and drugs pumped into you, then you started effectively starving yourself (per plan). You're body will respond in all sorts of weird ways to get back to a normal that it will likely never achieve. It will eventually arrive at a new normal, very soon.

Good luck,

Tek

I agree 1200 calories seems like way too many at week 2! That many calories is usually once you are in maintenance. I agree with others, when your weight gets "stuck" get off the scale and stick to the plan. It can be very discouraging when you dont see the scale move and then it does a mental number on us. It makes us think why did i do this and give up all the things i used to love to eat if the scale is not going to move. That could lead to going back to old ways of eating. You do want to make sure you are eating enough though so you dont put yourself into starvation mode. If you arent eating enough, your body will hold onto what it can. As long as you are measuring yourself monthly and you see inches going down, you are on the right track. When i get stuck i stay off the scale for awhile. Do you have a nutritionist? if not i would consider getting one. They know more about food than the surgeon.

Forcing yourself to eat to meet a suggested calorie count sounds very problematic. Reminds me of the days of eating past the point of being full which led to weight gain and our need for WLS. Hmmm....

Mindful conscious eating is key to success. Listen to your body. Stop eating before you get full and stay away from the scale.

GL to you!!!

Posted (edited)

The Week 3 stall is real! I stalled and gained 6lbs back between weeks 3 and 5, and just now lost it back in the last week. I've had several people tell me weeks 3-6 will generally have a stall and a slight regain due to your body panicking over the rapid weight loss, and readjusting its baseline, so it is part of the process.

I've also been told a second stall/regain will occur around the 3-month mark, and last up to 4 weeks, so prepare yourself for that. I'm bracing for that coming up soon.

Keep in mind the weight loss won't be like a straight line, more like stair steps with the occasional bump back up before dropping again. Just stick to the diet, and switch to weighting weekly to prevent obsessing over it (like I did haha).

Also, several months from now, as you approach your goal weight, remember that gaining muscle through exercise will make the number on the scale go up, but that's a good thing. Muscle weights 1.5x as much as fat, so as you gain it, you will continue burning off fat, which is the "bad weight". About 1 year out, you won't worry as much about the scale, and will Celebrate the wins in smaller clothing sizes, more energy, and better endurance/stamina!

Regarding the caloric intake, my surgeon and team recommended I keep aiming for 800-1000 calories per day, but I am a 6'1" male, so my base caloric rate may be higher than yours. I would check back with your doctor or nutritionist to be sure, but I think 1200 is closer to the target after 1 year. Also prioritize Water and Protein first, followed by unsaturated fats, then try for any carbs/sweets/starches/breads and saturated fats last. My plan has me targeting less than 50g of carbohydrates per day, not low enough for Keto, but enough to keep the sugar cravings and fat retention down. You may need to check your macros as well.

Best of luck to you on your journey!

Edited by SomeBigGuy

10 hours ago, SleeveToBypass2023 said:

Thank you, I'm beginning to see everyone seems to go through this so I guess I gotta stick it out

Definitely sounds like a stall. Some people don't gain during the stall, they just sit at their current weight during it. Me? I gain. And by gain, I mean anywhere from 3-5 pounds. It's infuriating. Then I lose and gain the same 2-3 pounds over and over until one day I get on the scale and see that I lost 5-6 pounds. That's when I know the stall broke. It's going to happen, a lot. So start focusing on your NSVs (Non scale Victories). Those tell the story of what your body is actually doing better than the scale can.

9 hours ago, NCL04321 said:

So my "team" consists of my PCP my surgeon a nutritionist (that I've met once" she basically said I didn't need to see her again and finally a weight management nurse practitioner. She is great and I have an appointment set up with her early February so I'll be able to talk to her then

I agree 1200 calories seems like way too many at week 2! That many calories is usually once you are in maintenance. I agree with others, when your weight gets "stuck" get off the scale and stick to the plan. It can be very discouraging when you dont see the scale move and then it does a mental number on us. It makes us think why did i do this and give up all the things i used to love to eat if the scale is not going to move. That could lead to going back to old ways of eating. You do want to make sure you are eating enough though so you dont put yourself into starvation mode. If you arent eating enough, your body will hold onto what it can. As long as you are measuring yourself monthly and you see inches going down, you are on the right track. When i get stuck i stay off the scale for awhile. Do you have a nutritionist? if not i would consider getting one. They know more about food than the surgeon.

Can’t believe your surgeon didn’t tell you about stalls especially when you said you hadn’t lost in a week or so. That in itself would make me question anything else they tell or don’t tell you. We all lose more quickly in the first couple of weeks, then the stall hits & no loss & things even out. So while 12 pounds seems a lot in 1.5 weeks, 12lbs in 4 or so weeks is fine - averaging about 3 lbs a week.

1200 calories at a month out does sound a huge & impossible goal to reach. I wasn’t eating 300 calories in the first couple of weeks. I barely reached 900 at 6 months & was another year until I got to around 1300. But we are different & have different needs & our teams have us on different plans & expectations. Ultimately it comes down to only being able to do what you can physically do. You ‘re meeting or close to meeting your Protein goal. You’re meeting or close to meeting any other macro & fluid goals? . Are you introducing new protein sources, vegetables, etc. into your eating plan as you’re required? I’d say you’re doing okay.

But, that’s my opinion. Your dietician/nutritionalist should be available to discuss your options & concerns whenever you need so ask for (demand ) an appointment. Can you get in any earlier to see the nurse practitioner? If not stick to what you’re doing & as I said you can only do the best you can do.

All the best.