Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi - everyone everything is going well. I lost 105 lbs and on March 16th I’ll be my one year gastric bypass anniversary. Initially I had a somewhat difficult time eating- went on omeprazole for gastritis issues-it seemed to work. November I went to ER to realize after extensive testing I had a gallbladder attack. In December I had my gallbladder removed. I am doing well now but I am scared because I am hungry at night. Nighttime has always been my downfall. I try to eat well during the day. I work PT 10-2PM M-F and I start the day off with a Protein Shake - drink water-iced coffee no sugar almond milk-water-snack on either nuts,cheese, yogurt or Protein Bar. I try to have lunch right when I get home. I have dinner around 6-6:30. I consume about 1200 calories and always exceed my Protein levels 70-80. On top of that I get fatigued. I do walk or do elliptical and recently kettlebells. I work ironically in a school cafeteria and it’s a very busy job. I can’t be very mindful as it is very fast paced. Has anyone got the night time hunger?

I think night time hunger is really common. My worst time is late afternoon. It's a constant battle. Sometimes I swap around dinner with my afternoon snack (so dinner around 3:00 or 4:00, snack around 6:00 or 7:00), sometimes I'll eat things like baby carrots dipped in hummus or ranch yogurt (ranch dressing mix with plain Greek yogurt) (carrots usually irritate my stomach after awhile, so I rarely eat much of this), other times sugar free Jello or sugar free popsicles. Anything to keep me from blowing it. You'll probably have to do the same - if you can't take your mind off it somehow, figure out how you can swap things around to make it easier - or stock up on "safe" things (some people chew SF gum or drink hot tea...). Or get out of the house (easier said then done at night - easier for me in the afternoon!)

Not sure if you’re still losing or how much you have to go or are maintaining but I wonder if you are eating enough? Your job is physical & you’re exercising so your night hunger may be real & understandable & could explain your fatigue too. May be have a chat with your dietician. There might be something missing in your food choices or an increase in calories, or adding more carbs, etc. might make a difference.

Old habits, like night eating, can sneak their way back in as time passes. Working out ways to manage the habit or to distract yourself certainly helps, as does establishing new habits. I wasn’t a late night time eater but I worried I’d become one so I followed a no eating after 8pm habit for years & still do. Like @catwoman7, afternoon eating was always my weakness. I’ve slowly moved my eating times to later in the day as I find it easy not to eat earlier in the day. I have Breakfast at 9am, snack at 1pm, snack at 2:30 lunch at 4pm, dinner at 6pm & final snack at 7:30. (I have a routine of what & when I snack to get in my calories & protein.)

I am up till 3 or 4 am so I get hungry at night. I wish I could be like the others with a cut off point but that didn't work for me since I stay up so late. When I tried, I would end up eating anything because I got so hungry. What works for me is having a fridge stocked with low calorie fruits and vegetables specifically for night time. I eat every 2 to 3 hrs while awake, that means I will always eat a couple of times between dinner and going to bed (i.e. 4 am) so I just eat fruits, veggies or light healthy Snacks in the evening to stay in my calorie range until I go to bed.

9 hours ago, Arabesque said:

I’ve slowly moved my eating times to later in the day as I find it easy not to eat earlier in the day. I have Breakfast at 9am, snack at 1pm, snack at 2:30 lunch at 4pm, dinner at 6pm & final snack at 7:30. (I have a routine of what & when I snack to get in my calories & protein.)

that's a really great idea - and since I'm retired, very "do-able", too!