Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gas problems and binder.

Hi everyone! I just had my surgery this past Tuesday and came home yesterday.

Since the surgery I've had gas pains that hasn't loosen up at all. I've been walking a lot since I woke up from the surgery and got home too. I've been burping but only passed gas once. I have this waist trainer/binder thing on and I don't know how long I'm supposed to have it on for.

Does anyone know what to do? I haven't been able to lay down since I got home and it feels like the gas got worse.

The gas will pass in a few days, basically you just have to suffer through it. Sorry, I know it sucks!

I wasn't told I had to wear a binder, but was given one int he hospital. I wore it once and it made me more uncomfortable than comfortable so I took it off and kind of kept my hand/forearm against my belly to stop the giggle (haha) when I walked.

You could just ask your team if you could take it off, or just take it off and see how you feel.

I slept in a recliner for the first few days because laying flat wasn't comfortable. After that, sleeping on my side was a bit uncomfortable after about a week (i think) I was back to normal and could sleep however I wanted.

some of us get binders, others don't - I never got one - so it's optional. If it's not comfortable, then you don't have to wear it (unless, of course, your clinic directed you to). Gas pains should go away soon...

Edited by catwoman7

I did not get a binder but did hold my belly with a pillow when getting in and out of bed, coughing and sitting. Held with my hand when walking and laughing. Gas pains for me were gone in 2 days, any discomfort at week 1. Now at week 2, I sleep on my sides, can bend kind of easily and only have discomfort if I twist too much

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi everyone! I just had my surgery this past Tuesday and came home yesterday.
Since the surgery I've had gas pains that hasn't loosen up at all. I've been walking a lot since I woke up from the surgery and got home too. I've been burping but only passed gas once. I have this waist trainer/binder thing on and I don't know how long I'm supposed to have it on for.
Does anyone know what to do? I haven't been able to lay down since I got home and it feels like the gas got worse.

I'm on Day 8 today what I used early on was GasX, works great!

Sent from my SM-F711U using BariatricPal mobile app

It often takes a good week for the gas to escape. But burping & farting won’t help because the gas is actually in your abdominal cavity not in your digestive system. The pain occurs because it rises & settles under your lungs causing nerve pressure (the shoulder pain). It escapes by attaching itself to Water molecules in your lungs & you breathe it out.

So gentle activity like short walks (around your home, garden, street) as you’re able, marching on the spot, carefully lifting your arms up & down ( don’t pull your tummy) & slow, deep breathing. A heat pad can also help ease the discomfort too.

Yeah binders are a some do some don’t. If you find a binder supportive & more comfortable, use it.

When is it a concern when I'm not really able to drink anything (even just water) without having so much gas coming up in my body/stomach? And not even burping it's like it's trapped or something 😕. I've been taking really small sips of every thing (cleat liquids right now) but it still happens anyway.

I see my doctor next week Thursday but how this is feeling I don't know if I'll make it til then before going back to the hospital. Any suggestions?

(I'm 😞 sorry for all the questions)

1 minute ago, Malkia mzuri said:

When is it a concern when I'm not really able to drink anything (even just water) without having so much gas coming up in my body/stomach? And not even burping it's like it's trapped or something 😕. I've been taking really small sips of every thing (cleat liquids right now) but it still happens anyway.

That isn’t surgical gas as it’s within your digestive system so something like gas x should give you some relief.

Small sips are good but are you also leaving a few minutes between sips? Burping is often caused by sucking in air when you eat or drink which is why many are advised to avoid straws & carbonated drinks. Also anxiety can contribute. You worry you will struggle with burping & excess gas & then you do. Also you are likely still producing the same amount of stomach acid you did with your larger tummy. Excess acid can cause belching (&hiccups). A PPI will help - were you prescribed one? Some develop a temporary intolerance to lactose which can result in burping though as you’re in clear fluids that shouldn’t be your cause.

It’s really important to keep your fluids up. Dehydration is a concern post surgery. Watch for symptoms like dark yellow pee, peeing infrequently, lightheadedness, nausea, dry mouth & go to a medical centre if you experiencing them.

I always sip then wait awhile to sip again but it hurts right after I take a small sip that it starts hurting badly. I've been tired due to my pain medication but that's about it. Still getting my liquids in even though it's painful. I might by anxious 😟 I don't know for sure. If this continues I might just go back to the hospital since the doctor won't be back in til Monday 🙄 err.

Hoping this will ease up soon.