Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 Days Post Op - Protein, Fluids - Help!

I am 4 days post op (Gastric Roux and Y). Eating Jello/Broth and added strained Soup yesterday. I'm not getting any Protein or enough fluids. I can't stand store bought Protein Shakes. I have recipes for amazing shakes after GB but do I count these as a meal or part of my Fluid intake or both? Same question with popsicles (meal, fluid intake or both)? I read about people sipping on their protein shakes but I don't know which category they are using them for.

Also are there any Snacks allowed. Everything I have says just meals but then things like string cheese are listed as acceptable. Does String Cheese count as a meal and why is it listed as full liquid diet food?

Do you batch cook and then freeze for later? Container recommendations? Can you freeze DIY protein shakes?

5 minutes ago, Mebby said:

I am 4 days post op (Gastric Roux and Y). Eating Jello/Broth and added strained Soup yesterday. I'm not getting any Protein or enough fluids. I can't stand store bought Protein Shakes. I have recipes for amazing shakes after GB but do I count these as a meal or part of my Fluid intake or both? Same question with popsicles (meal, Fluid intake or both)? I read about people sipping on their Protein Shakes but I don't know which category they are using them for.

Also are there any Snacks allowed. Everything I have says just meals but then things like string cheese are listed as acceptable. Does String cheese count as a meal and why is it listed as full liquid diet food?

Do you batch cook and then freeze for later? Container recommendations? Can you freeze DIY Protein shakes?

I would only count things as a meal if it has protein. Popsicles would be considered fluid only. At four days post op, you really don't have to eat 3 meals a day, etc. You just have to sip constantly while you're awake in order to hit your protein and fluid goals until your tummy heals to the point that it can accept "normal bariatric portion meals" I would just focus on sipping every 15 minutes when you're not eating. The only thing that would count as a meal AND fluids would be something like a Protein Shake, protein Water or broth with unflavored Protein Powder that was added to it, so anything that has Proteins and is a fluid would count as both.

I don't batch and freeze currently, so I'm not sure about containers. I'm not sure how freezing protein shakes would go. I have a feeling the texture would be different or they may separate.

Have you tried the Fairlife protein shakes? They don't taste like a protein shake. They just taste like a lightly flavored milk to me. strawberry reminds me of Strawberry Nesquick, but not as strongly flavored.

Just now, Mebby said:

Thanks. Yes I've tried the Fair Life drinks - love them and then the aftertaste hits. My mother in law says they are good slightly frozen. I may have to try that.

I've been counting Jello and broth, now strained Soup as meals.

Yesss they are really good slightly frozen. My mother drinks these too, and she notices an aftertaste if she doesn't slightly freeze them. I don't notice it tho.

Do you use unflavored Protein powder like Isopure to ad to broths and Soups? When I was on liquid, I also had yogurt but thinned it to a watery consistency, not as thin as Water, but just where it's slightly thinner. Early out I had the Ratio yogurts because they had more protein than Triple Zero. That might be an option for you to try.

You need to stop thinking of the concept of "meals". It's too soon for that. Instead you should be doing 2 things:

1. Drinking Water or other clear fluids. Most docs want you to hit 64 oz or more, but this can be a challenge for some. Things like flavored water, herbal tea, broth, popsicles, sugar free Jello, etc. all count as Fluid.
  2. Get Protein in liquid form or maybe pudding consistency depending on your program. (Some programs have you advance to yogurt and/or cottage cheese sometime between day 4-14.) Premade Protein Drinks, protein powders, etc. all count here. You should be targeting 60 grams of protein, which is basically 3 of the Fairlife Nutrition drinks you already have. At this point you should be sipping these and it may take 30-60 minutes to drink one. If you don't want to do those, you can also add unflavored protein powder to broth, or try a flavored protein water drink, though you'd generally have to drink more of these to get to 60 grams of protein a day. The good thing about the protein water is it would count toward both your protein and your water goals, unlike the shakes.

Sorry, two of the fairlife nutrition drinks = 60 grams of Protein, not three.

4 hours ago, Mebby said:

I've been counting Jello and broth, now strained Soup as meals.

Several companies sell Protein Soup mixes. Those would count as meals, but not those without protein. Count those as Fluid. You don't need to be concerned about "meals" right now. Count your protein grams and your ounces of fluids.

Bariatric Advantage and BariWise sell powdered protein Soups and probably others. You can also add unflavored Protein Powder, such as GENEPRO, to non-protein broths and drinks.

Well said @SpartanMaker. 100% agree. Though my plan counted all liquids as part of my Fluid goal including shakes. I’d dilute the shake (double the water) to make them less thick & grainy & a little more tolerable & sipped them for hours. My surgeon was also okay with not meeting fluid & Protein goals in the beginning as long as I was making an effort & getting closer every day or so.

I batched cooked & froze individual serves from soft foods (soups from purée). Well I just cooked my normal amount which was enough for multiple meals of course - lol. I started using tupperware type containers then & still do, use zip lock bags. They take up less room in the freezer. Found it very handy to throw in a frozen meal for lunch at work & now for those nights you don’t feel like cooking.

You could tried the Vital Peptides. It has 20 grams in Protein, it’s unflavored.
I only mix with room temp Water and I add a propel mix to it. Or just mix it with propel water, or something.

Talk to your nutritionist. My surgery is 10-4-22, but after surgery I am all liquids for first 2 weeks. So I am not sure what your drs is saying or wanting.
My nutritionist advised me that All fluids (shakes etc) go towards my liquid intake.

I also mix it with diet ocean spray and diet green tea. I have also tried Origin collagen unflavored, that one is a bit sweet to me. But also good in Diet Ocean spray and cold brew coffee Decaf. The vital peptide doesn’t change the flavor or not enough for me to notice.

Hope that is helpful.

collagen & peptide supplements don’t count towards our Protein goal as they’re not a complete protein - lack most of the essential amino acids we need. It may help with your skin, connective tissues so yiu could take it fir those benefits but that’s it.

I drank chicken Bone Broth as a Protein source when I was still on Clear Liquids, but if you can also have Protein Shakes you must be allowed "full liquids". My "meals" weren't my main source of protein at all, they were just to start getting my body used to 3 meals per day...the whole goal those first few weeks its staying hydrated because dehydration can get you off track for healing. My "full liquids" meals were 3 TBS of creamy Tomato Soup, 3 TBS of greek yogurt, or 3 TBS of cream of wheat. The rest of the day I was sipping Water or Fairlife milk. As for homemade shakes, it matters what you put in them, if I had to guess those homemade shakes may have stuff in there (other than the protein powder/water/milk) that your stomach may not tolerate yet like raw veggies (spinach leaves), raw fruit (strawberries, bananas), etc. You can have protein shakes made with water, milk, protein powder and/or greek yogurt, but in your first couple weeks, there really isn't any other options. Check your recipes with your dietitian or doctor.