Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Phobias since surgery

Hello community,

I just had surgery on the 16th of August. I feel like everyday I have a concern about something related to my surgery. If I am doing too much around the house, I start thinking I am not healing properly. If my incisions are okay. They have gotten itchy and my doctor said that I am allergic to the glue. What do people feel if they have a gastric leak? If I am walking enough? If my legs hurt...I can go on and on and it's very disturbing. Am I normal, it has been just 8 days.

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

Just rest, sleep and heal. Forget everything else, you have enough to think about with Vitamins, supplements and drinking your quota.

Sorry you are having these feelings.

Have you ever had a surgery before? I feel like people who never have had any type of surgeries are more paranoid about everything related to surgery.

My sister in law actually started having panic attacks after she had endometriosis treatment, a very mild surgery. They had to prescribe her anxiety meds but it eventually passed after a few weeks.

Just try to relax, trust me (us) if something is wrong you will know it. Otherwise, give your body time to heal, follow your plan and listen to your team.

I hope this is short term lived for you as well, our minds really know how to play games on us!

I appreciate all your comments, definitely helps. I was having a moment last night. I've had two surgeries in the past, fibroid removal and a c section. I just feel this is more intense. I feel okay though. It's true I have so much more to think about. Drinking medications and Vitamins, this is a whole new world for me lol

Gastric leaks are almost always discovered before you even leave the hospital. So you can put that fear aside.

1 hour ago, catwoman7 said:

Gastric leaks are almost always discovered before you even leave the hospital. So you can put that fear aside.

Yep. I had a leak and they discovered it at the hospital based on a high white blood cell count and tachycardia (rapid heartbeat). It got fixed before I was discharged, but it did extend my stay by several days. (And it had no lasting impact on my success.)

Omggg we are surgery twins and I am feeling the exact same way. Like I am so tired then when I walk feel like I tore my stomach then the rest of the day I just want to sleep. I feel like I am so different and getting a little depressed.

Omggg we are surgery twins and I am feeling the exact same way. Like I am so tired then when I walk feel like I tore my stomach then the rest of the day I just want to sleep. I feel like I am so different and getting a little depressed.
Hey love,

Hang in there, I know it's totally normal for anyone to get a little depressed. Just think about the future you and envision what you want from all of this. I am taking it a step at a time. This adjustment is definitely testing how strong I am. Even if you feel tired and sore, walk atleast 10 min. [emoji179][emoji179][emoji179]

Yep. I had a leak and they discovered it at the hospital based on a high white blood cell count and tachycardia (rapid heartbeat). It got fixed before I was discharged, but it did extend my stay by several days. (And it had no lasting impact on my success.)
Thank you, I appreciate all this crucial information for my sanity.