Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One of my registration forms for the bariatric doctor says that recent alcohol use can disqualify you from getting the surgery.

I drank heavily for several years and stopped about a month ago. I can't start drinking again and don't want to start again because of health concerns.

Do you think this will disqualify me? I searched the forums and couldn't find any info about this, only about post-op drinking.

I dont think so. But after surgery alcohol will become an issue if you start again. If your surgeons office requires a psychological evaluation then the alcohol will come up and you will need to discuss it with them. It was questioned in my eval but i dont drink. As for the surgeon alcohol never really came up other than no drinking once the pre op diet starts and not for a long while after surgery

The concern for them was that the food addiction would be lost and that the addiction would then move on to something else (alcohol).
i was questioned about my alcohol use when I did the psych evaluation. But I didn’t really drink prior to surgery and I can’t drink at all after surgery (the alcohol of a heavily juiced mimosa… with very little alcohol in it…. Can get me buzzed )..

The interview was really interesting, she tried to trio me up a few times.
Her:“when was your last drink?”

Me: “two years ago? I don’t really know it’s been that long”

(she was disbelieving that I hadn’t touched alcohol in years which sent up red flags for her).

so then she asked me things about holidays and what kind of get togethers we have and if food it an integral part of the celebration…. Which led into what drinks are available ….
(I told her honestly that my family does buffet off to the side where everyone grabs their own food, we eat wherever during these celebrations but mainly just socialize. Soda Drinks are available and alcoholic drinks are available but I usually just stick with Water, coffee, or tea).

i passed the evaluation so I guess she didn’t find anything seriously wrong with my answers. But if you try and lie about it other questions may be asked where your evasiveness about drinking may come to light. So it’s best just to be honest.

My very good friend that had gastric sleeve had transfer of addiction. Thank god she is sober now but she lost 100lbs and within 6 months from first drink post op she was diagnosed with alcohol abuse disorder.

I doubt it would disqualify you but I imagine there will be more than the standard questions in your psych eval for you because of that history. Honesty is always best for your safety.