Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you could go back in time and warn/educate your younger self on how to best stick to the all liquid pre-op diet, what tips and tricks would you share?

My all liquid pre-op diet started today. I'm allowed:

ANY ADVICE/HELP IS GREATLY APPRECAITED! I feel like I can succeed, but I've always known THIS would be the hardest part of my journey.

So far, these are some of the tricks I've come up with (but I'm a newbie, and I know you pro's out there have GOT TO HAVE SOME SOLID TIPS AND TRICKS!):

• Make your Protein Shakes with some light Greek yogurt to change the consistency
  • Add bullions to your broths to add some flavor and eat them hot
  • Try ramen and miso broths
  • Make your own sugar-free gelatin/pudding in your own tupperware so you can just sit there and eat that in order to confuse yourself into thinking you're eating a solid meal
  • Tracking my food in a nutrition journal to better understand when I'm hungry/how often I'm eating

Some questions I already have:

• What pre-made protein shakes are worth the $$$?
  • What protein powders did you really enjoy, are not chalky, and are worth the $$$? I ended up buying 4 different protein powders from 2 brands (brands: SinFit and Motiv8).

THANKS FOR ANY AND ALL HELP!

Adding a serving of Benefiber to Protein Shakes helps some people feel fuller longer. The Fiber is filling.

I don't use Protein powders after discovering Fairlife Protein Drinks. There's no comparison.

Congrats on reaching this stage!
I found that Isopure was pretty good when blended using a blender, a milk you like/tolerate, maybe some yogurt, ice and things like unsweetened cocoa powder, sugar free syrups or Decaf espressos. You can make Protein frappes so to speak by mixing up ingredients. In my liquid, puree and soft I did vanilla and caramel protein frappes using sugar free coffee syrups and decaf espresso. You can also mix isopure into things like yogurt and Soup. Great way to get protein, 25 grams per serving and no taste.

I found that post op premier and Quest Protein Shakes were wayyyy to sweet. If I didn't blend my own shakes, I bought the chocolate ensure max because it has 30 grams and sorta kinda taste like chocolate milk. You can also blend that with ice and it makes it like a milkshake.

The slim fast orange cream Low carb shake blended with ice is really yummy. Taste like fruity pebble milkshake.

If you're sick of the sweet stuff, try broth make from bouillon cubes (more tasty than broth cartons). I've never had Bone Broth. I hear it's an acquired taste but supposedly some benefits to having it, maybe try mixing it into your regular broth for a full meaty flavor to differentiate from the sweet shakes.

Anyway. That and sugar free popsicles got my through my liquid diet. It was nice to chew on something and I never want to see another popsicle again in my life LOL. I find that orange flavored popsicles caused some acid reflux but I had that pre op so it might be just me.

Best of luck to you. The hardest part is getting through the first month after surgery but it goes by fast, you develop a routine and you see the scale go down so it's all worth it. I'm 3 months post op and back to regular eating. The only difference is I focus on protein, get full pretty fast and the weight actually comes off.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

30 minutes ago, BypassingMyPhatAss said:

Adding a serving of Benefiber to Protein Shakes helps some people feel fuller longer. The Fiber is filling.

I don't use Protein powders after discovering Fairlife Protein Drinks. There's no comparison.

yea so those HMR shakes i got from the bariatric center, SUCK... I have maybe used 5 packets. I been using fairlife without issue and they taste great. I add some flavoring Syrup to them sometimes to mix it up like caramel, Smores ect..

1 hour ago, fourmonthspreop said:

If you're sick of the sweet stuff, try broth make from bouillon cubes (more tasty than broth cartons). I've never had Bone Broth. I hear it's an acquired taste but supposedly some benefits to having it, maybe try mixing it into your regular broth for a full meaty flavor to differentiate from the sweet shakes.< span>

Thank you for this tip! :771_green_heart: I just ordered all these different flavored broths (in cartons) that Target sells (and at a great price!) and I will be buying some bouillon cubes and "cooking" it together to make it seem more flavorful. I'm not sure what Bone Broth is compared to other broths? Also thank you for sharing in such details what you liked and did when you underwent this diet. I appreciate it!

1 hour ago, liveaboard15 said:

yea so those HMR shakes i got from the bariatric center, SUCK... I have maybe used 5 packets. I been using fairlife without issue and they taste great. I add some flavoring Syrup to them sometimes to mix it up like caramel, Smores ect..

Everyone keeps mentioning Fairlife -- I NEED to find them and try them out!

Just now, Vivis said:

Thank you for this tip! :771_green_heart: I just ordered all these different flavored broths (in cartons) that Target sells (and at a great price!) and I will be buying some bouillon cubes and "cooking" it together to make it seem more flavorful. I'm not sure what Bone Broth is compared to other broths? Also thank you for sharing in such details what you liked and did when you underwent this diet. I appreciate it!

Everyone keeps mentioning Fairlife -- I NEED to find them and try them out!

lol. I get them at warehouse stores My local area has one called BJS wholesale. i actually gotta go get more tomorrow i ran out today.

i am gluten free and somewhat dairy free. The fairlife Protein Shakes are lactose-free and don't bother my digestion at all. Plus they truly taste like regular milk. I like the chocolate, salted caramel and vanilla. Sometimes i add sugar free flavoring to the vanilla, or Peanut Butter powder to the chocolate. There is a coffee flavor fairlife Protein Shake that has caffeine so beware of that if you can't have caffeine (the label is eerily similar to the chocolate ones).

Good luck!

On 4/12/2022 at 3:49 PM, Vivis said:

If you could go back in time and warn/educate your younger self on how to best stick to the all liquid pre-op diet, what tips and tricks would you share?

ANY ADVICE/HELP IS GREATLY APPRECAITED! I feel like I can succeed, but I've always known THIS would be the hardest part of my journey.

So far, these are some of the tricks I've come up with (but I'm a newbie, and I know you pro's out there have GOT TO HAVE SOME SOLID TIPS AND TRICKS!):

• Make your Protein Shakes with some light Greek yogurt to change the consistency
  • Make your own sugar-free gelatin/pudding in your own tupperware so you can just sit there and eat that in order to confuse yourself into thinking you're eating a solid meal
  • Tracking my food in a nutrition journal to better understand when I'm hungry/how often I'm eating

• What pre-made Protein Shakes are worth the $$$?
  • What protein powders did you really enjoy, are not chalky, and are worth the $$$? I ended up buying 4 different protein powders from 2 brands (brands: SinFit and Motiv8).

That's great you can have cottage cheese and yogurt! My surgeon only allows protein, water, sugar free Jello and broth, which doesn't allow for any real "chewing." I am on day three of my liquid diet. Instead of plain jello, I made Knox Blox. You can look up the recipe online. It's basically just jello but you add extra unflavored Gelatin to make the jello more like Gummy bear texture. It has really helped me because I am a texture person and I have to have something to chew! My favorite Protein Shake is the pre-made Shamrock Farms, Rockin Protein. It is pricey at some places, but I found it at Target for $1.99 per bottle and because it tastes so much better - NOT at all chalky - I do not mind paying extra! It comes in vanilla and chocolate. I love both flavors.

4 minutes ago, Sleeving It Reel said:

That's great you can have cottage cheese and yogurt! My surgeon only allows Protein, Water, sugar free Jello and broth, which doesn't allow for any real "chewing." I am on day three of my liquid diet. Instead of plain Jello, I made Knox Blox. You can look up the recipe online. It's basically just jello but you add extra unflavored Gelatin to make the jello more like Gummy bear texture. It has really helped me because I am a texture person and I have to have something to chew! My favorite Protein Shake is the pre-made Shamrock Farms, Rockin Protein. It is pricey at some places, but I found it at Target for $1.99 per bottle and because it tastes so much better - NOT at all chalky - I do not mind paying extra! It comes in vanilla and chocolate. I love both flavors.

OMG your diet is even harder! I'm lucky compared to yours. 😥 I'm on day three! Let's really connect and keep each other accountable/give each other help! I hadn't heard of Knox Blox and now I'm googling. I'm down for trying different things. Honestly, I find myself on YouTube a lot trying to figure out what to do and how to mix it up. I haven't tried the Shamrock Frams shakes or the Rockin' Protein ones. Fairlife is really recommended by a lot but I'm having trouble finding them at a somewhat affordable price since I already went out and bought four protein powders...honestly, I've spent about $250 just on liquid foods to fill my fridge. It's insane considering I'm just drinking liquids. It's mind blowing. But there's nothing I can do about it. It still seems so impossible and I'm trying to be positive about it but right now my mind is hung up on this: Some surgeons require all liquid for 2 weeks, some surgeons require all liquid just the day before, and some surgeons require all liquid all day except for one solid meal under XXX calories for 2 weeks. So I keep thinking to myself that maybe there's some wiggle room...but I also don't want to risk it, but so many other people get placed on different diets for the same procedure.

12 minutes ago, Vivis said:

OMG your diet is even harder! I'm lucky compared to yours. 😥 I'm on day three! Let's really connect and keep each other accountable/give each other help! I hadn't heard of Knox Blox and now I'm googling. I'm down for trying different things. Honestly, I find myself on YouTube a lot trying to figure out what to do and how to mix it up. I haven't tried the Shamrock Frams shakes or the Rockin' Protein ones. Fairlife is really recommended by a lot but I'm having trouble finding them at a somewhat affordable price since I already went out and bought four protein powders...honestly, I've spent about $250 just on liquid foods to fill my fridge. It's insane considering I'm just drinking liquids. It's mind blowing. But there's nothing I can do about it. It still seems so impossible and I'm trying to be positive about it but right now my mind is hung up on this: Some surgeons require all liquid for 2 weeks, some surgeons require all liquid just the day before, and some surgeons require all liquid all day except for one solid meal under XXX calories for 2 weeks. So I keep thinking to myself that maybe there's some wiggle room...but I also don't want to risk it, but so many other people get placed on different diets for the same procedure.

It is! I am on day three also! So I feel your pain. I had a hard time finding Fairlife but the Shamrock Farms Rockin Protein is great, so I am going to stick with it! Something that has helped me is keeping busy. I love painting and crafting so I got out my art box and I have been painting. I've also been riding my indoor bike and cleaning. ANYTHING to keep my mind off food! Either way, I will stick with it. I figured I haven't come this far only to cheat! We got this ;)

6 minutes ago, Sleeving It Reel said:

It is! I am on day three also! So I feel your pain. I had a hard time finding Fairlife but the Shamrock Farms Rockin Protein is great, so I am going to stick with it! Something that has helped me is keeping busy. I love painting and crafting so I got out my art box and I have been painting. I've also been riding my indoor bike and cleaning. ANYTHING to keep my mind off food! Either way, I will stick with it. I figured I haven't come this far only to cheat! We got this ;)

Yeah -- I've read stories of people who cheated and were fine. And then others who cheated and day of surgery on the operating table they got denied because their liver was too big. I know I'm not the biggest patient ever so I SHOULD be fine, but I also know it's a journey and the first few days are probably the hardest. I am curious to see how much I lose in these next two weeks LOL. :55_frowning:

I was only allowed 3-4 shakes a day, 2 cups of broth, cucumbers and celery.

I found that freezing the ready to drink shakes for a couple hours made them slushee like and I could eat them with a spoon.

I also used a cirkul bottle for Water so I could switch the cartridge flavors pretty often and adjust the amount of flavor as I wanted. They have some good ones now like green apple and watermelon.

I also mixed unflavored whey Protein Powder with bouillon powder and boiling water to make it into flavored “cheese curds” to eat in broth. Or I’d thinly slice celery and boil in broth to have a sort of noodles (not helpful for you I know, sorry.)

Also freezing prepared crystal light into popsicle molds wasn’t against the rules for me so I did that so I could eat those.

40 minutes ago, Starwarsandcupcakes said:

I was only allowed 3-4 shakes a day, 2 cups of broth, cucumbers and celery.

I found that freezing the ready to drink shakes for a couple hours made them slushee like and I could eat them with a spoon.

I also used a cirkul bottle for Water so I could switch the cartridge flavors pretty often and adjust the amount of flavor as I wanted. They have some good ones now like green apple and watermelon.

I also mixed unflavored whey Protein Powder with bouillon powder and boiling Water to make it into flavored “cheese curds” to eat in broth. Or I’d thinly slice celery and boil in broth to have a sort of noodles (not helpful for you I know, sorry.)

Also freezing prepared crystal light into popsicle molds wasn’t against the rules for me so I did that so I could eat those.

Ok first of all -- YOUR RESULTS ARE INSANE!!!! SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!! My goal weight is 150-ish!

Okay, I have not thought of these "cheese curds" you mentioned. Were they good? I have boiled lots of water and added seasoning like bouillon powder and cubs to add flavor. I'll have to google that or youtube it and see how it's done! I love the creativity!!!

I need to eat more of the popsicles I bought. I don't love the texture of the ones I got, but I've tried other sugar free popsicles that were soooooo fruity and much smoother.

On 4/12/2022 at 3:49 PM, Vivis said:

• What pre-made Protein Shakes are worth the $$$?

5 hours ago, Mariann812 said:

You have infinite patience imho. I’m trying to remain positive, and so far so good. My surgeon’s admin is waiting on one document…the CPAP machine receipt when I pick it up next week…and my packet is ready to be submitted.

today I had a visit with my PCP to begin ‘documentation of weight Loss failure.’ I figure if I’m looking at mid June for surgery, I can use this time to jump through the only Cigna hoop that remains unaddressed. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Vivis, the Clear Liquids is hard work. But staying in line with your doctor’s instructions is the foundation of the success you want for a lifetime. Congratulations on gathering ideas for the journey! I am on my post op clear. I like the Isopure Dark chocolate. 25 GM of protein in a scoop, dissolves in a shaker cup of water, does not leave grit on my teeth or an aftertaste. I also like the Bariatric Advantage strawberry and Orange Cream. Torani SF Syrup is ok. Gatorade zero is a must have! I bought packets on Amazon and saved a ton of cash and plastic waste. Tried Bone Broth for the first time. Game Changer!! Favorite brand was Fond because of all the different flavors. But it’s a lil expensive. I’m worth it!

Best of luck to you!

Tina

I start my pre op diet on the 26th, and I have to say, I'm really nervous about it. More than even the surgery!! lol I bought a variety pack of Fairlife shakes, a variety pack of Premier shakes, a variety pack of Designer Wellness smoothies, and 2 different variety packs of Protein 2o Electrolyte flavored drinks. I am going to try some of these ideas for the broth because I already know I'm going to be sick of the sweet stuff lol I think I'll grab some beef broth and chicken broth and get some beef and chicken bouillon for them to make them more robust flavored. This is going to be so weird LOL