Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi

I am almost two weeks post op for a gastric bypass and have woken up with awful hives all over me. So irritating. I think I was allergic to the dressings but wonder if anyone else has had this?

I also have woken up with I lump like feeling in my chest, a bit like when you have eaten too much but I obviously haven’t as I’m still on liquids and it started before I have even drunk anything. Any ideas?

Thanks 😀

Edited by Doodle41

Hives always mean an allergic reaction to something. I got funky marks on my arms from the surgical tape, but that was it. Can you take an antihistamine?

I had those as well during week 3. The PA at my surgeon's office thought it might be the ursodiol (as that can be a side effect, although it's a not common one), so he had me get off those completely and then after about two weeks, gradually get back on. So I did - hives never came back after I got back on....so it likely wasn't the ursodiol.

I also learned after having plastic surgery c. three years later that I was allergic to the adhesive they used or the surgical tape. I guess that could have been the case with my gastric bypass, too.

Give your surgeon’s office a call. Could be a reaction to something you’re eating/drinking, a med, surgical adhesive, etc. Your body is under quite a bit of stress so the hives could be an overreaction to something you’ve never had an issue with before too. Better to check everything & be sure though.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• summerset

Going in on Tuesday. Things are arranged (need to order a cab to the station because it's too early for a bus going there) and I'm getting more nervous by the hour.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Debbie Nichols

No plans for surgery 
      · 0 replies
    • amazingmimi

I feel like I've finally gotten past the biggest hurdle. Surgery date is September 6th, the day after Labor Day, and yesterday I got my insurance approval letter. I've followed everything they've told me to do, and I've even lost 30 lbs on my own since hubby had to change his diet for diabetes. No worries now about having to do 4 weeks of the liver shrinking diet instead of 2. On my initial visit, if I had gained just 5lbs I would have had to do 4 weeks. It's getting closer. Just 2 more months to wait.
      · 1 reply
      1. NmMd

Although the prep work took energy, I found the biggest hurdle was post-operative. The first 48 hrs were extremely uncomfortable. I did an overnight and trying to down the liquids, Tylenol, and especially the barium was rough. Thankfully though, I got away with only having to have 1 belly injection after surgery. Needless are not my thing.

• Grace1234

I am brand new to this my surgery is tentative for July 27 depending on insurance and I'll be have the Gastric Sleeve.
      · 0 replies
    • Pepper1

I am looking for people to connect with that are 4-5 years out. Many of the support sights I go to are all newbies. And while I enjoyed that when i first had my surgery and found it useful, I am looking to exchange ideas with folks that are out a few years. I am slowly gaining weight back and losing my excitement. I don't want that!
      · 1 reply
      1. SleeverSk

Maybe post in the forums. It's a more active areaI have noticed no one replies to status updates

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches