Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two weeks post-VSG

Hi everyone! It's two weeks past my sleeve, and I thought I'd post some of my observations.

THE GOOD

- Down 27 lbs. from surgery weight (357 to 330)

- Down 2" on my neck (!), 3" on my waist, 6" on my abdomen

- Had to size down in shirts and do my first closet purge

- One blood pressure medication cut completely, the other at half dosage

- Able to meet Protein target of 80-100 g per day and liquid goal of 64-96 oz per day

THE BAD

- Brain fog and fatigue (will discuss with my surgeon later, could be Vitamin deficiency)

- Sick to death of liquid diet but have another week of it left

- Itchy dry legs

THE UGLY

- C O N S T I P A T I O N

- The one incision (the large one where the unwanted stomach is withdrawn) has started hurting and pulling again, but is not inflamed

I am back to work at one job (from home) but not yet at the other (outdoors, physical). I'm back in the gym but not doing anything that requires abs, abdominal pressure (so no weightlifting)... a lot of walking, running, and stationary biking, and a lot of stuff with the 10-lb. dumbbell I'm allowed by my surgeon. My time on an 800m run went from about 6:30 to 4:45... running feels totally different!

Overall, despite the rough first couple of days (all. that. gas!) this is clearly the right decision for me and I love seeing myself literally deflate.

Congrats! My surgery was the day before yours. I just started on "soft solid" food today. I was hungry all the time on liquids, but having just a cheese stick and a tablespoon of refried Beans fixed that. I'm stuffed and in pain lol.

I'm only down 12.5 lbs since surgery, but 62 overall. I never ran before, but my 2 mile walking route is about the same time it was before. I am finally back to the energy I had before surgery, more or less. I don't seem to have any brain fog particularly.

I had no problems getting in Protein and liquids until I started solid foods - now I can't eat enough, but I'll keep trying!

Congrats! I was on 9/16.

I need to up my Protein looking at yours!

Any the Ugly, Constipation. You are sooooo true.

Congrats on doing so well so far. The brain fog & fatigue is common. Combination of low caloric intake & that you just had pretty major surgery & your body is still healing. If you feel tired, it’s your body telling you it needs to rest & recover.

Coloxyl was my friend. If no movement by day 3 or 4 I’d take one. Don’t forget, you are eating all that much yet so not going every day isn’t really a concern. You’ll find it does improve as you’re eating more & a more balanced diet. Add some soluble fibre (look for non swelling ones) to your shakes, etc. everyday to help.

Watch activity that pulls at your tummy. That could be aggravating that larger incision.

Thats amazing, congrats!

I'm with you on the constipation/bowel issues. I'm on prescribed laxatives and am taking soluble fibre in all shakes and Protein Water, and while I'm not constipated per say, every second day my bowels ache and the flatulence is relentless, all for eventually passing bugger-all.

Really hoping this side of things resolves!

Nice work on the running, too! I'm really looking forward to getting back into running and the gym. The gym was my happy place and it will be again.