Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 days out and struggling

Tomorrow is my official week since having gastric bypass and I’m struggling. I’m only down to my ore surgery weight and I don’t understand why. I also have right side pain that makes it hard to do things. I was doing great on just liquids and getting about 40-50 ounces a day and my surgical nurse called and was not happy I was getting that much and told me I might stretch my pouch out. She also told me I needed to add in the yogurts and creamed Soups so I get 24-30 ounces of full and then 24-30 ounces of clear. I started adding in more full items and I can barely get any ounces of either now because I feel so full/sick. Is this common? Am I doing something wrong?

you're down to your original surgery weight because, like most of us, you probably "gained" weight while in the hospital because of all the IV fluids. It can take up to a week for them to work their way out of your system. I've heard of people "gaining" as much as 10 lbs while in the hospital!

fluids go through our stomachs really fast since our pyloric valves were bypassed, so I'd be very surprised if you could stretch your stomach from fluids. Maybe you could if you REALLY slammed them, but 40-50 oz over the course of the day isn't "really slamming" them. I've never heard of anyone doing that from drinking fluids, and we were never warned we could stretch our stomachs from that. So...I'm not sure what to say...

I'm so sorry your frustrated. You are only a week out from major surgery, Our bodies don't react predictably from that a lot of the time. Just be patient and follow your plan and the weight will come off.

In terms of your diet, of course listen to your team. I can tell you that early out I was "eating" only 1-2 oz very soft foods (like greek yogurt) and stuffed from that very small amount and waited 30-60 minutes after to drink fluids. Outside of those windows, I really, really focused on fluids. Small sips every couple of minutes as it was the only way to drink enough. It took a lot of effort to get them in until I could slowly drink more at one time.

I’d cut back on the Soups & yoghurts. It sounds like your tummy just isn’t ready for them yet.

Some people take a little longer to progress through the stages - we all heal at different rates & plans are different too. I was told no yoghurt until week 3 but could eat thin soups from week one.

It’s going to take real prolonged effort of eating large portions to stretch your tummy again so I wouldn’t worry about that. Most of us are told to aim to drink 64oz of fluids a day so at a week out you’re doing well by hitting 50oz.

Try clear broths & consommés only not creamy or thicker ones. Sometimes diluting them makes them easier to swallow & tolerate. And don’t worry if you take ages to eat them.

Didn’t they send you home with an anti nausea meds? Both my daughter & I got them & we even had totally different surgeons. She even got suppositories!
I’m over 3 years out & I still need some at least every other day! I buy Dramamine by the bottle on Amazon!