Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Loss Medication for Regain?

Hello again to all the WL Veterans....Queen of Crop here...sleeved 10 years ago this October. Lots 88 lbs and have gained back 25. I live in Amsterdam and have no WLS support here (nor did I ever have it). So after keeping my weight off for 5 of the 10 years, started gaining again due to poor choices about 5 lbs a year for the last 5 years. I used to listen to Reeger Cortell's wonderful podcast that she did for years; in fact I was a guest on her show one month. She mentioned weight loss medication; that it might be an option. But I don't know anything about it and not even sure they would offer it here. (There is very little obesity in Holland; at 155 lbs I feel like I am one of the heaviest people in Amsterdam!). Anyway, has anyone had any experience with this and was it successful. I feel like I need some help to get back to basics.

Photos taken exactly one year apart after surgery.

szk 2011 and szk 2012.jpg

3 hours ago, Queen of Crop said:

at 155 lbs I feel like I am one of the heaviest people in Amsterdam!

155 is not that heavy... but in the US I have results of:

Metformin

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23147210/

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2017/020357s037s039,021202s021s023lbl.pdf

Topiramate

https://www.topamax.com/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3793374/

Saxenda

https://www.saxenda.com/about-saxenda/how-it-works.html

https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.com/features/saxenda-profiling-the-first-nhs-weight-loss-drug-for-a-decade/

*Please conduct your own research as the weightloss benefits of these meds my not last if you stop taking them and sometimes the side effects are not worth it

Edited by GreenTealael

I used phentermine for a couple months before my bypass surgery in 2020. I had gained 50 of the 60 pounds I had lost after my sleeve in 2015. My primary care let me take phentermine for 6 months and I lost 20 pounds. It curbs appetite, but you still have to work at good food choices, exercise etc. Plus that drug has been around forever and is pretty cheap - like $25 for 30 pills (my insurance wouldn't cover it, so I used GoodRX).

6 hours ago, Queen of Crop said:

Queen of Crop here...sleeved 10 years ago this October. Lots 88 lbs and have gained back 25. I live in Amsterdam and have no WLS support here (nor did I ever have it)

While I don't have an answer to your question, I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed your book! I read it this past December when I was preparing for my January 5, 2021 surgery.

Considering your lack of physician support after your surgery, I think your results were remarkable!

Well what a nice surprise! Thank you so much for your nice compliments. I had fun writing the book and it was a magical year of transformation. Not only were we traveling while I was recuperating but then we ended up relocating from Hawaii to Amsterdam where we have lived the last 9 years. It's nice to know people are still reading it!
And it looks like we are the same height, and you are on your way as well! Be sure to take lots of photos...it was a very fun first year. I hope you have lots of support and continue the honeymoon period forever!

If I decide to write the 10 year after sequel, I will let you know. It might just help me get back on track. I still feel good but must stop the bleeding.

12 hours ago, mae7365 said:

I used phentermine for a couple months before my bypass surgery in 2020. I had gained 50 of the 60 pounds I had lost after my sleeve in 2015. My primary care let me take phentermine for 6 months and I lost 20 pounds. It curbs appetite, but you still have to work at good food choices, exercise etc. Plus that drug has been around forever and is pretty cheap - like $25 for 30 pills (my insurance wouldn't cover it, so I used GoodRX).

Thank you Mae for the response. Wow, your story is so interesting. First, looks like we are about the same height and age and lost the same amount and have the same weight goal. I felt best at 138 and am now 158. And you just had a bypass after having the sleeve in 2015. Fascinating. It's been so long since I have been on here I didn't really know that was an option so maybe I will look into it. I keep thinking I can get this extra 20lbs off. I would like to try phentermine but I don't think I can get it here in Amsterdam and am assuming it is by prescription only? Anyway, it looks like you are back to goal, so congratulations! I felt so free at that weight and just cannot seem to get there on my own. Thank you for the response.

14 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

Thank you so much for taking the time to send me this information. It's all pretty new to me. And yes, you are right 155 is not that bad (actually at the moment it's 158). But I cannot seem to stop the bleeding....it keeps going up and up and I have to get a handle on it other wise I will be on here and I will be 165 or 175. And the interesting bit is, is that I feel worse right now than I did at 200+. I think back then, it's all I knew. I had been heavy all my life. Now, I know the freedom of feeling light and healthy and free from cravings. I really want that back. I am 67 and still want to live a vibrant life. So I will look into these. The question will be whether or not I can get them here in the Netherlands. Thanks again.

4 hours ago, Queen of Crop said:

Thank you Mae for the response. Wow, your story is so interesting. First, looks like we are about the same height and age and lost the same amount and have the same weight goal. I felt best at 138 and am now 158. And you just had a bypass after having the sleeve in 2015. Fascinating. It's been so long since I have been on here I didn't really know that was an option so maybe I will look into it. I keep thinking I can get this extra 20lbs off. I would like to try phentermine but I don't think I can get it here in Amsterdam and am assuming it is by prescription only? Anyway, it looks like you are back to goal, so congratulations! I felt so free at that weight and just cannot seem to get there on my own. Thank you for the response.

Yes, it is by prescription only in the US. But you may want to check in Europe. I know that a few prescription drugs in the US are over the counter in Canada. It may be worth asking a pharmacist.

Good luck on your journey...…..but I don't consider155 heavy by any means. I got down to 154 after my sleeve surgery and felt pretty great there. You've accomplished so much, you are an inspiration 10 years after surgery!

6 hours ago, Queen of Crop said:

Thank you so much for taking the time to send me this information. It's all pretty new to me. And yes, you are right 155 is not that bad (actually at the moment it's 158). But I cannot seem to stop the bleeding....it keeps going up and up and I have to get a handle on it other wise I will be on here and I will be 165 or 175. And the interesting bit is, is that I feel worse right now than I did at 200+. I think back then, it's all I knew. I had been heavy all my life. Now, I know the freedom of feeling light and healthy and free from cravings. I really want that back. I am 67 and still want to live a vibrant life. So I will look into these. The question will be whether or not I can get them here in the Netherlands. Thanks again.

If you haven’t tried Intermittent Fasting, I highly recommend trying that first. You may see a reduction of weight and hunger immediately and it doesn’t cost a thing or require a prescription ❤️

1 hour ago, GreenTealael said:

If you haven’t tried Intermittent Fasting, I highly recommend trying that first. You may see a reduction of weight and hunger immediately and it doesn’t cost a thing or require a prescription ❤️

I pretty much do this every day; I stop eating after dinner around 7pm and don't have anything again until morning around 7am and then it's coffee (with oatmilk). I am now trying to juice (healthy vegetable juices) 2 days a week. But I just made an appt to see someone here about some weight loss medication. Thanks for the information and support

7 minutes ago, Queen of Crop said:

I pretty much do this every day; I stop eating after dinner around 7pm and don't have anything again until morning around 7am and then it's coffee (with oatmilk). I am now trying to juice (healthy vegetable juices) 2 days a week. But I just made an appt to see someone here about some weight loss medication. Thanks for the information and support

If you have the chance check out the research on fasting times and efficacy. 12 hrs may not be enough. I used to do 16 hrs min and the results were A LOT slower at that point than at 20 hrs of fasting (OMAD)

Good Luck with your appointment, I hope that it provides some help ❤️

Ah, perhaps that's my problem. Thanks again!

Contrave has shown good results in the trials done since it's release. It is considered safer then phentermine. If you are considering IF as an option (which I use myself) you may want to check out Dr Jason Fung, a nephrologist from Canada who is considered the foremost voice of IF.

Thank you, I did check it out and have tried IF many times. In fact, it's a bit natural for me because I don't eat after dinner 7pm and then I eat again at 11am the next day. Although I do have coffee in the morning...maybe that's derailing me?

On 4/1/2021 at 10:47 PM, Whitetank&denim said:

While I don't have an answer to your question, I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed your book! I read it this past December when I was preparing for my January 5, 2021 surgery.

Considering your lack of physician support after your surgery, I think your results were remarkable!

Well what a nice surprise! Thank you so much for your nice compliments. I had fun writing the book and it was a magical year of transformation. Not only were we traveling while I was recuperating but then we ended up relocating from Hawaii to Amsterdam where we have lived the last 9 years. It's nice to know people are still reading it!
And it looks like we are the same height, and you are on your way as well! Be sure to take lots of photos...it was a very fun first year. I hope you have lots of support and continue the honeymoon period forever!

If I decide to write the 10 year after sequel, I will let you know. It might just help me get back on track. I still feel good but must stop the bleeding.