Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

800 calories a day

I went to see my surgeon for my two year post-op and he was concerned I had gained about 10 lbs since my last visit. My nutritionist put me back on a 800-1,000 calorie diet a day diet. During quarantine, I have really gotten lax on my eating. I honestly forget what 800 calories a day looks like. Do you guys have ideas for 800 a day meals? I am sort of back in the habit in the last week, but it is tough. It is especially tough going from eating carbs/takeout/etc. What are your ideas for low carb/low cal meals?

Thanks in advance!

Haven't had the surgery yet myself, and just came across this persons page, Tiktoks and whatnot just a few days ago but, she looks like she may post a lot of meals and plans on her pages. Worth a look.

https://bariatricqueen.com/mealprep-page/

If you sign up for Kindle Unlimited, you'll find so many books with recipes for bariatric surgery patients! I've already tried a few meals and they're actually tasty (parmesan-crusted cod, for instance)! Most of them have few ingredients and short cooking times, which are right up my ally. I also created a weekly meal planner with a shopping list section in Excel to help me plan better (I basically found one that I liked online and modeled mine after it). So I'll sit down, pick out recipes that I want to cook, write them in the days that I'll eat them, jot down the ingredients, then go through my pantry and mark off what I have. I just picked up a few things today, in fact. One thing I've learned while trying to diet in the past, is that it's much easier to stick to it when you plan it out and set aside a day to meal prep.

The first image is the blank planner, the second is one I filled out for next week. I put the page numbers of the recipes to find easy and the circled numbers on the right represent how many servings I'm at from that recipe (most of them make 4 servings).20210227_161712.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

4 hours ago, SummerTimeGirl said:

Haven't had the surgery yet myself, and just came across this persons page, Tiktoks and whatnot just a few days ago but, she looks like she may post a lot of meals and plans on her pages. Worth a look.

https://bariatricqueen.com/mealprep-page/

Thanks so much! Never seen this lady myself. Super helpful content! Thanks!

3 hours ago, byefatbye said:

If you sign up for Kindle Unlimited, you'll find so many books with recipes for bariatric surgery patients! I've already tried a few meals and they're actually tasty (parmesan-crusted cod, for instance)! Most of them have few ingredients and short cooking times, which are right up my ally. I also created a weekly meal planner with a shopping list section in Excel to help me plan better (I basically found one that I liked online and modeled mine after it). So I'll sit down, pick out recipes that I want to cook, write them in the days that I'll eat them, jot down the ingredients, then go through my pantry and mark off what I have. I just picked up a few things today, in fact. One thing I've learned while trying to diet in the past, is that it's much easier to stick to it when you plan it out and set aside a day to meal prep.

The first image is the blank planner, the second is one I filled out for next week. I put the page numbers of the recipes to find easy and the circled numbers on the right represent how many servings I'm at from that recipe (most of them make 4 servings).20210227_161712.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

Wow! Thanks! Yes, I also like recipes with short cooking times and few ingredients! We DO have Kindle Unlimited, so I will have to check out those cooking books! LOVE your planning out meal preps. You are right, it is so much easier to do it that way. I need to get in the habit of doing that. Thanks for your feedback and advice. I really appreciate it!

are you still logging your food intake? I find that really helpful for staying on track. I've been doing it for many years - not just post-WLS.

Vegan Soups have been helpful for me. An enormous bowl of veg Soup flavored mostly with the Water from soaking dried mushrooms and a spoonful of miso and salt. Comes in at around 300 calories and is my big meal of the day.

12 hours ago, sideeye said:

Vegan Soups have been helpful for me. An enormous bowl of veg Soup flavored mostly with the Water from soaking dried mushrooms and a spoonful of miso and salt. Comes in at around 300 calories and is my big meal of the day.

Thanks for your reply. Those sound good. Do you put any Protein Powder in them? Nutritionist says I need 60-90 grams a day. Do you have to get in a lot of Protein also?

12 hours ago, sideeye said:

14 hours ago, icandothis_gastricsleeve020221 said:

I am still on pureed stage and am able to have 6 small "meals", more like snacking because I get full quickly. Each meal is less than 150 calories. I have a food scale and measuring cups for everything I eat. Plus 60-80 oz of Water per day.

Oh gosh. I remember those day. I actually did a pouch reset last year back with pureed foods and it was tough. Good luck with your journey and thanks for your reply. Sounds like you are doing a great job so far!

I’ve been drinking a Protein Shake each morning, and making sure I get Protein in during the day. The Soup itself is low on Proteins and carbs - it’s more to give me a big meal so I feel like I’m eating a lot once a day. Mostly Water though: probably 2.5 cups altogether, takes me a while to get through the whole bowl.

I’m experimenting more with tofu too.