Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this normal? Post Gastric Sleeve Issues

Hello,

New to the forum ad this is my first post. Sorry its so long but I need some help from ppl who have already had the Gastric Sleeve.

As of today I am 3 & a 1/2 weeks post op. I had my first follow up with the Dr. 2 weeks ago and will have the second follow up next week.

I am past the clear liquid & full liquid phases and stated to move to more solid food. Here's my problem my Dr says I am progressing normally but I'm not sure.

I would get heartburn occasionally prior to surgery but a few tums would take care of it.

I am taking the Vitamins and gerd medicine as directed with no issues.

Since the first day of surgery I could feel like whatever i drank even the small sips would sit in my throat, then go down a little at a time and my stomach would "pinch".

I also had this when I moved to full liquids and now to soft foods.

I can eat something like really soft mashed potatoes, yogurt, whipped cottage cheese or farina and mostly can hold them down. I have vomited a few times but i think its because the food is in the esophagus sliding up and down and its nauseating.

When I do "eat" it is only a few tablespoons max and the whole time I feel like the food sits in my throat and doesn't go all the way down, I get back pain in the middle of my back at my bra line and the food hurts in my stomach. I feel like I have to burp and its not air its whatever I've consumed coming back up.

I don't have fever or shortness of breath, I don't get weak just nauseated by this liquid/food that doesn't go down and just sits.

Did/Does anyone else have this problem?

Yes, what you're feeling is very common (I did a search on the forum and you can see several threads about it). A lot of people describe it as a cramp or a pinch. I had it as well. I would swallow and then I could count about two seconds...one one-thousand, two one-thousand... cramp! It was like a painful spasm in my tummy. My surgeon told me it was just due to my stomach not being fully healed yet and there still being a lot of internal swelling in there. I had it for quite some time but it did go away little by little. Eat slowly, take small bites, chew very thoroughly. When you drink something, take small sips, don't gulp. As you heal, that feeling should pass.

Edit to add: if it doesn't go away or gets worse, be sure to check in with your surgeon. A few people have a complication called a stricture, that can cause similar feelings. But in the majority of cases, it's just part of the healing process and will clear up on its own.

image.thumb.png.0c4ef984350cebdcd37cb3c8fc09f07d.png

Edited by Jaelzion

Congrats on your surgery. Whoo hoo!

Only eating a couple of spoonfuls (about 1/4 cup) is very normal at this stage. Are you eating slowly (taking 10 - 20 minutes)? I used to eat from a teaspoon or a small toddler sized fork & almost just dipped them in my food - never a full spoonful.

The pain sounds like your restriction. It’s a signal you’ve had enough. Mine also kicks in when I eat too quickly. But as with all things that seem odd or cause you pain speak to your medical team.

There’s a lot of swelling after surgery at the top of your tummy but it shouldn’t still be causing you issues this far out. I struggled to swallow anything for a few days after surgery. Carried a sick bag for days cause I was constantly spitting up salvia. Not pleasant. You could also be holding some tension in your body because you’re sub consciously fearing you’ll have pain/discomfort when you swallowing as you did after surgery. The tension then causes the pain like a self fulfilling prophecy. Just a thought but again talk to your medical team.

Generally, your tummy is pretty sensitive & cantankerous in the beginning & you may find a lot of foods don’t sit well. Food you can eat one day makes you ill the next. It does take a bit of trial & error to work out what food keeps your tummy happy in the beginning. This does all settle & you’ll find you’ll be able to eat most things in time. Personally, I still find potatoes too heavy to eat - they sit like a lump in my tummy.

Multi Vitamins would make me nauseous every morning. Vomited a couple of times too. I split the dose - one in the morning, one at night & always after food.

Good luck.