Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having lower Protein per day

Hi

Recommended daily Protein is 60-90 grams per person?

I was recently watching a video by Dr Vuong and he mentioned trying to reach high number of protein grams per day will lead to regain. It was suggested reaching a lower number and in the comments values like 40 grams per day were mentioned.

Thoughts?

Different Surgeons have different ideas. Generally they work out with similar results.

I think the main point is follow a plan. It's the folks that think they know better that run into problems later, IMHO.

You have a lot of research to do.

Everyone has an opinion. Many of us have several. Opinions don't lose weight.

Good luck

Tek

I consistently got the recommended 60 plus grams of Protein for my first 2.5 months post-op, and at my first post-op lab check was found to be protein deficient. Follow your surgeon’s recommendation. If I had been consuming less than the 60 grams per day, my protein deficiency would have been worse. Now I have the daily struggle of trying to consume 80-90. It is not easy without reverting to multiple Protein Shakes per day.

Hope all goes well for you!

I think negativity about high Protein intake is related to the negativity about the Keto diet. I was told to aim for 60 grams during my weight loss. When I reached maintenance I adjusted to the 0.8 per kg of my weight. But my dietician said it should be 1g per kg but because I was a woman in her mid 50s I should be getting 1.2g but that seems too much. I aim for 50g a day but I don’t beat myself up if I only get in 40g on the odd day. It’s a bonus day when I get in 60g.

I think you should just follow your plan & the recommendations from your dietician & surgeon.

Hi

Recommended daily Protein is 60-90 grams per person?
I was recently watching a video by Dr Vuong and he mentioned trying to reach high number of Protein grams per day will lead to regain. It was suggested reaching a lower number and in the comments values like 40 grams per day were mentioned.
Thoughts?

Yes this is true. No more than about 30 grams protein per meal. 90 grams total per day is a good amount but not in one sitting. That will definitely lead to regain. Between 90-120 if it's DS surgery. The extra protein comes in the Snacks.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using BariatricPal mobile app