Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psychological Exam & Liquid Diet Options?

Can anyone tell me more about the visit with the psychologist? I know that they are looking for abusive/destructive habits, however, I know that some of the ways that you view or "deal with" food must weigh in on their decisions also.

I just don't want to go in and say the wrong thing and find out that they don't approve me for surgery based on the psychological exam - so I was looking for some deeper insight into the questions or more so, are there "magic answers"? Help please - I am so close, but yet so far away!

I guess I am just scared that since it is almost too good to be true (for me), that something has to come along and spoil it for me. :faint:

Also - one thing I haven't seen posted as post-op liquids or soft foods are things like Slim Fast. Is there a reason for this?

Thanks everyone!

My eval is scheduled for 12/4, so I will tell you about it then.

Just wanted to :welcome: you to the board and good luck on your journey!!

Don't sweat this, answer honestly. If you have educated yourself regarding this decision, you understand your part of making the band work, you understand your obligation for the pre and post op diet, etc... you will be fine.

Regarding Slim Fast, I have seen where some folks use it, but some have concerns of the high sugar content.

I had my psych evaluation a few weeks ago. It was kind of interesting. She asked questions about my family and weight history, were my parents', siblings, normal weight or obese, that sort of thing. She asked about my history of depression, asked how I would handle situations once I was banded and went out socially where an abundance of food was available. I had to take a little test to see how much I knew about how the band works and what is allowed, etc. Be yourself and be honest and you should be fine. It really isn't anything to be scared of.

I don't know a lot about the post op diet since I haven't met with the nutritionist yet, I am waiting for insurance approval then will have a day long class with nutritionist, physical therapy, pre-op testing, meet with surgeon, etc. I can hardly wait but that is what I am doing, waiting.:)

Hang in there, we will all eventually get there.

I have my psych eval today. I will post tonight and let you know how it goes.

My surgeon does not have a liquid pre-op diet.

He does not have a preop diet for low BMI'ers.

I questioned him about what I have read about the liver...he said that is usually the case for people with BMI over 44

He did not give me a diet for preop...

he just said don't do the last meal syndrome or eat everything and anything ...follow normal eating and journal calorie count and gave me the range of calories I can eat and not gain.

He suggested to start trying Protein so when I get banded I know what works best for me and the diff tastes that you can buy outthere.

He suggested Unjury protein. Surprisingly others on this site have suggested Unjury as well.

I gave it a try...!

It can be bought at the Vitamin Shoppe but you can order directly from them and it is cheaper! Welcome to the UNJURY Homepage

I ordered the sample chocolate and loved it.

I have now ordered to taste the other flavors. But I think I will be staying with Unjury.

Hope this helps!

I have already done the psych testing and am just waiting on a surgery date. My test was 470 true or false questions. It asked things like, "Do you hear voices when noone is around? Do you like to go hungry? I feel like people are always talking about me." That kind of stuff. No sweat. Then the shrink just talked to me about the test scores and I was on my way.Don't be nervous, it was no big deal.

My Life Back,

I promised to post after I came back from the psych eval. Here it goes.....

Piece of cake. He was awesome! as I entered the office he said to take a comfy spot and make myself at home. He had very nice furniture. Has nice soft relaxing music in the background that he turned off once we officially began. He just asked regular questions to get to know you and where in life you are such as married, education, children, extended family life, friends, extended support system you may have..etc. Then he began asking more information has co morbidities if any, explained lap-band procedure, gave some statistics about it, stressed on finding support online or via groups for a better sucess rate longterm. He asked general questions regarding thoughts or how you perceive yourself, etc. Types of diets, what plans, weight history. Then came a written psych eval....He determined based on my previous answers I qualified for the short version. Which as jst4kel mentioned do you hear voices? Do you have hallucinations? and open ended questions for me to answer like..... When I was a child _______________ I just wrote in a sentence.

At the end he came into the exam room looked over the written calculated points....and informed me I passed and that he would provide his summary and report directly to the insurance company, to the surgeon, to my PCP and mail me one as well.

He was great! Not at all what I expected....even better....

I think every psych eval is different. I answered about 20 written questions about behavior. She asked about stresses in my life, what foods could I identify as the "trigger" foods, why I wanted the surgery. How long I had been overweight, what my relationships were like. All in all, it went very well, after all you are talking to a stranger, and more often than not, you are going to tell a stranger more about yourself than any other person in your life.

My Psych eval was about a 40 minute interview. He asked about understanding the band and the surgical procedure and risks as well as weight loss attempts. He then went on to ask if there was a history of depression or abuse. I had been in an abusive marriage years ago and when I answered honestly, I wanted to run across the room and catch the words.....but as others have said, just be honest....he said it was great that I had removed myself from the situation and felt after that I could easily handle the stressors of the surgery and change in lifestyle.

Good luck and be yourself!!:bounce:

Thanks everyone!! I appreciate the info. I am still a little nervous, but like I said, I think it is more wanting it so badly that I expect anything and everything to go wrong between now and then!!

Anymore about the Slim Fast - I actually like the taste of the Slim Fast....lol.

I had my eval today and it took about 30 minutes. She really didnt ask many questions about how much i knew about the band. Most of them were just to get in my head and make sure i was stable with eating disorders.

She did however say that i have post traumatic stress disorder from the bus accident i was in last year. Dammit!

oh well i passed !

I had my pdych eval yesterday. I was emailed a 14 page question packet that asked just about everything. From my familys weight issues to eating patterns. At the face to face with the doctor, he went over the packet with me. I was worried he would find some under lying issue in the way I answered his questions or the way I held together in his office. What if he finds me "crazy" or that I am under too much stress at work were my worries.

But it was so easy!! and he was super nice.

Now its on the the PCP.:cry

I'm told I worry too much.

My psychologist said the Magellan Health behavioral clearance requirements for bariatric surgery say they have to do the test to have a score of questions and then she interprets it and recommends for the surgery. It isn't bad to get through. I look at having the psychologist as having one more tool in my toolbox to work with after surgery.

I have already done the psych testing and am just waiting on a surgery date. My test was 470 true or false questions. It asked things like, "Do you hear voices when noone is around? Do you like to go hungry? I feel like people are always talking about me." That kind of stuff. No sweat. Then the shrink just talked to me about the test scores and I was on my way.Don't be nervous, it was no big deal.